Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1699195 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »
I have personally confirmed that the banking department is not at all related to the lending department, in a sense that if one gets shut down it does NOT mean that he other will get shut down. (When my CC's were shut down my banking accounts were unaffected, and now i know someone who was banned from opening checking accounts with chase (long crazy story there...) and their credit cards are NOT affected. I also spoke to someone from the nullback officenull who said that lending and banking are basically 2 different institutions under the name Chase

Reality is there are (some) people here who were shut down for banking and CCs.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
There must be some other credit factor we're missing here. 
Plenty of guys have done multiple 3BMs in the past year and have dozens of credit hits and open cards, myself included.
If multiple apps was the sole cause we'd all have been shut down, no?
Plus others have been closed even without multiple apps, we know abusing the AARP card is a trigger for a fact for example.
Must be those 1am phonecalls or how you answer when asked how you're doing :-):-)

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2011, 10:56:46 PM »
Reality is there are (some) people here who were shut down for banking and CCs.
Yep- I'm just sayin that getting cc's shut down doesn't AUTOMATICALLY mean bank account will shut get shut down and vice versa...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:04:09 PM by Yellow »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »
You said:

I have personally confirmed that the banking department is not at all related to the lending department, in a sense that if one gets shut down it does NOT mean that he other will get shut down. (When my CC's were shut down my banking accounts were unaffected, and now i know someone who was banned from opening checking accounts with chase (long crazy story there...) and their credit cards are NOT affected. I also spoke to someone from the "back office" who said that lending and banking are basically 2 different institutions under the name Chase

I was just saying that's not necessarily true. If they were completely independent of each-other one wouldn't even know that the other shut you down.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:25 PM »
You said:

I was just saying that's not necessarily true. If they were completely independent of each-other one wouldn't even know that the other shut you down.
I hear ya, just adding my $.02 from my personal experiences, and sharing the info that i know/have heard so people can try to piece the puzzle together (and trying to cheer those up who have been banned from either the CC/Banking dept @ Chase- Not all hope of doing business with Chase is lost!  ;))

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »
Chase just closed down all of my brother's CC accounts without warning.

Has already written letter to Ms. Walden.

<holding breath>
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »

<holding breath>
Hope he has a different billing address than you?
Possible triggers?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »

<holding breath>
? ? ? ? ? ?

this is becoming way to common

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2011, 12:01:59 AM »
Hope he has a different billing address than you?
Possible triggers?

Totally different address.

They said they shut him down because he has been opened (and been granted) a lot of credit in the last X months.

In his case, I think it was ~100k.

? ? ? ? ? ?

this is becoming way to common

She's head of Chase Executive Customer Service.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2011, 12:18:47 AM »
Totally different address.

They said they shut him down because he has been opened (and been granted) a lot of credit in the last X months.

In his case, I think it was ~100k.

Is the 100k all with Chase or spread between different issuers?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2011, 12:19:36 AM »
Spread.

...which makes this even more disturbing.

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2011, 12:21:10 AM »
Spread.

Yes, very. May I ask how many "X" months is... perhaps there is a pattern to all of this?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2011, 12:22:08 AM »
Spread.

Why? From a risk standpoint it's all the same.

I'd be disturbed either way.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2011, 12:26:30 AM »
It's more disturbing because even if you only have, say, 10K CL with Chase, it shows they'll simply shut you down because you have 50k CLs with other issuers.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2011, 12:28:58 AM »
It's more disturbing because even if you only have X CL with Chase, it shows they'll simply shut you down because you have Y CLs with other issuers.

They reject people all the time for that reason. If they'll unilaterally close people's account when they (Chase) perceives them (the customer) as a risk (which I agree with you that it's a terrible thing for Chase to do), what difference does it make what kind of risk it is?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
It's one thing to reject someone at the outset saying "you have too much outstanding credit."

It's a completely different thing to grant the credit (having full access to a credit profile/report) and then out of the blue shut someone down when that profile falls outside of some hidden guideline, especially (to my mind) when it's as a result of your activity with other banks. Reduction of some lines? Fine. Cancel some cards even? Also somewhat acceptable. But complete closure based on activity with other issuers? Unreasonable.

In any case, I'm done arguing. You're obviously entitled to your opinion.

P.S. All activity with other banks happened before the Chase apps, which put them on notice of other extended credit. So in this case especially the actions on the part of Chase are particularly disturbing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:40:46 AM by AJK »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »
It's one thing to reject someone at the outset saying "you have too much outstanding credit."

It's a completely different thing to grant the credit (having full access to a credit profile/report) and then out of the blue shut someone down when that profile falls outside of some hidden guideline, especially (to my mind) when it's as a result of your activity with other banks. Reduction of some lines? Fine. Cancel some cards even? Also somewhat acceptable. But complete closure based on activity with other issuers? Unreasonable.

In any case, I'm done arguing. You're obviously entitled to your opinion.

P.S. All activity with other banks happened before the Chase apps, which put them on notice of other extended credit. So in this case especially the actions on the part of Chase are particularly disturbing.

I agree with everything before your P.s. It's wrong for Chase to unilaterally shut down accounts. Once they do that though, they're going to do it whenever they feel there's a risk.

Your P.s. does add a valid point (which you didn't mention before), if it was a risk they were willing to assume (by approving the application(s)), why'd they change their mind. But like I say, these banks have different departments which sometimes have contradictory priorities/objectives.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2011, 04:34:39 AM »
Chase does not like to see a big change (balances, new accounts, inquire) when they do account reviews. Having large CL’s by itself is no big thing. Going from 100k to 300k in CL’s is.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2011, 03:03:13 PM »

<holding breath>

R.I.P.

Offline compddd

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »
They didn't re-open them for him?