Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1686735 times)

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #6740 on: April 12, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »
So my journey with Chase continues on.
After having been AA'd in December 2013 (credit cards only) for seeking too much credit with other banks, I was approved in March 2017 (after trying about once annually) for the Sapphire Reserve Card. I had it for over a year and on April 4 2018, my credit card and checking account were closed (actually they will close the checking on May 3). My business account seems to be OK, although they may close that too, I'll find out.

This time, they provided no reason for the closures, the letter just says "After a recent review of your accounts, we have decided to end our relationship with you". If I had to guess the reason, it's probably because I have been depositing large checks into the account (for over a year already) from buying groups. But something tells me I will never really know because there doesn't seem to be any way of finding this out. Something tells me it will be harder to be approved again since this seems like a 'heavier' shutdown checking + credit card.

Original AA http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=11216.msg676345#msg676345
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:33:34 PM by googwallet »

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #6741 on: April 12, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
So my journey with Chase continues on.
After having been AA'd in March 2014 (credit cards only) for seeking too much credit with other banks, I was approved in March 2017 (after trying about once annually) for the Sapphire Reserve Card. I had it for over a year and on April 4 2018, my credit card and checking account were closed (actually they will close the checking on May 3). My business account seems to be OK, although they may close that too, I'll find out.

This time, they provided no reason for the closures, the letter just says "After a recent review of your accounts, we have decided to end our relationship with you". If I had to guess the reason, it's probably because I have been depositing large checks into the account (for over a year already) from buying groups. But something tells me I will never really know because there doesn't seem to be any way of finding this out. Something tells me it will be harder to be approved again since this seems like a 'heavier' shutdown checking + credit card.
Certainly demand a reason. Being that as per the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, any adverse action from a lender must include an explanation, (along a credit score used, and access to a CR) if they don't give a reasonable explanation, definitely file with the FTC/CFPB and maybe your state AG as well. I wonder if in such a case where you are denied your rights you have a better chance of reopening.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: April 12, 2018, 09:34:35 PM »
Certainly demand a reason. Being that as per the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, any adverse action from a lender must include an explanation, (along a credit score used, and access to a CR) if they don't give a reasonable explanation, definitely file with the FTC/CFPB and maybe your state AG as well. I wonder if in such a case where you are denied your rights you have a better chance of reopening.
Take them to arbitration and ask for damages. Leverage that to get accounts opened.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: April 12, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »
Take them to arbitration and ask for damages. Leverage that to get accounts opened.
Are you serious? FTC/CFPB won't accommodate you with that, although your AG should.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: April 12, 2018, 09:57:55 PM »
I am dead serious. Time to stop fooling around.

Offline Tumbler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: April 14, 2018, 10:20:42 AM »
I am dead serious. Time to stop fooling around.

I agree. I haven't checked yet but they were trying very hard to make me believe the review was just random. So that makes me think that somewhere (T's & C's?, Credit Card rules?) that reviews are supposed to be random. I haven't had time to do any research yet. It very clearly wasn't random.

Offline Tumbler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: April 14, 2018, 09:32:08 PM »
I got a response on my CFPB complaint that they are still working on it. I guess that's positive.

Offline Tumbler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: April 16, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »
I got the final response to my CFPB complaint.

We’ve reviewed your concerns about the declined transaction on March 30 with Wholefoods for $500. We routinely monitor accounts for unusual activity, and this transaction was declined because it appeared suspicious. We sent you an email and a text message to confirm the activity was valid. On that same day, you were declined a second time for the same reason and you spoke to an advisor and advised them the transaction was valid. The advisor you spoke with determined there were several out of the country attempts to log into your online profile and therefore, we placed a security hold on the account pending a second level review. Once the review was completed, we decided to close your account for the following reasons: •   Number of credit card accounts. • Rapid increase in revolving balances. The account cannot be reopened. Please review the enclosed Cardmember Agreement which explains we reserve the right to close accounts. We’ve also enclosed a copy of the closure letter sent to you on April 3. We’re sorry for the inconvenience you experienced and realize this is not the outcome you were expecting.

The bolded information is a lie. I was never told there were any attempts from outside the country to access my account and there were no authorizations for any transactions except the ones that I did. The rest is just parroting what the "review" department did.

Do I have anywhere to go from here?

Can I get a prorated amount of my annual fee, if there is nothing else?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:02:59 PM by Tumbler »

Offline Tumbler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: April 16, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »
Bueller? Bueller?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: April 16, 2018, 08:59:16 PM »
Did you actually login from outside the country?

Offline Tumbler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6750 on: April 16, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »
Did you actually login from outside the country?

I haven't been out of the country since the first of Feb.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: April 18, 2018, 12:32:03 AM »
DW should try that with amex, they shut her accounts down after an FR with a tax return. She filed CFPB but they responded with some nonsense and the CFPB just closed the complaint...

once the complaint is closed apparently all there is to do is "leave feedback" hopefully that"ll do something...
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: April 18, 2018, 12:34:29 AM »
DW should try that with amex, they shut her accounts down after an FR with a tax return. She filed CFPB but they responded with some nonsense and the CFPB just closed the complaint...

once the complaint is closed apparently all there is to do is "leave feedback" hopefully that"ll do something...
hank you for your complaint $#$#$ about AMERICAN EXPRESS.
When we received your complaint, we forwarded it to the company for response. The company has now responded. We appreciate your participation in the complaint process. The CFPB has closed your complaint.  :'(

― Aristotle

Offline Tumbler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: April 18, 2018, 10:11:33 AM »
hank you for your complaint $#$#$ about AMERICAN EXPRESS.
When we received your complaint, we forwarded it to the company for response. The company has now responded. We appreciate your participation in the complaint process. The CFPB has closed your complaint.  :'(

Exactly. I thought the purpose was for CFPB to investigate potentially illegal practices. Apparently, it's just the new Better Business Bureau.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: April 18, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »
Did they give a reason for the closure?

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: April 18, 2018, 11:32:36 AM »
My mother just got A/Aed
3 new Chase cards in 3 months, no major spending, credit is great.
Time for some phone calls.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: April 19, 2018, 10:55:20 PM »
Exactly. I thought the purpose was for CFPB to investigate potentially illegal practices. Apparently, it's just the new Better Business Bureau.
correct unfortunately

― Aristotle

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: April 19, 2018, 10:58:03 PM »
Did they give a reason for the closure?
they said "We have decided to close your account because based on our assessment, the income we currently have on file for you is not sufficient to support your overall financial obligations with American Express and your other creditors that are listed in your credit bureau report"

However no money was owed to them, nor more than a few hundred dollars spent on other cards. And the income provided on the tax return was significantly more than that.

― Aristotle

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: April 19, 2018, 11:01:43 PM »
they said "We have decided to close your account because based on our assessment, the income we currently have on file for you is not sufficient to support your overall financial obligations with American Express and your other creditors that are listed in your credit bureau report"

However no money was owed to them, nor more than a few hundred dollars spent on other cards. And the income provided on the tax return was significantly more than that.
Try to claim to the AG that they violated the ECOA.
@ChaimMoskowitz will tell us if there is a shot
In NJ the number is +16092924925

Offline US

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: April 19, 2018, 11:50:25 PM »
It's kind of interesting that in the letter Chase sent me about account reopening they wrote "we apologise for closing your account..."