Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1687560 times)

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #7040 on: August 05, 2018, 08:54:14 PM »
I have no idea what i did wrong ?
Call and try to find out what is the unexpected activity!!! The least they can do is provide you with a good reason.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Savingsbeast

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: August 17, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »
Which number do I call to ask chase to have my CC reinstated?

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: August 17, 2018, 05:00:12 PM »
Which number do I call to ask chase to have my CC reinstated?
There is no special #, some however can be more helpful then others, E.G. the ritz #
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline YosefG

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: August 20, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »
Hi All, long-time reader here, and wanted to get your thoughts on the below. I do all my banking with Chase and put like monthly $3k-4k real spend on Freedom unlimited (33k CL), $450 on CIP (15k CL), and like $500 on freedom (20k CL) (5x categories only). I recently got an ink cash for the bonus (6k CL) and like the idea of getting 7.5% back (after the 1.5% CSR bonus on the chase travel website) on all my everyday spend instead of the 2.25% on freedom unlimited I'm currently getting. I open one or two new credit cards for the bonus around around every 6 to 9 months. My other chase card is a southwest personal (15k CL) (almost no spend there). Do you think there would be any issue putting $500-750 a month on the ink cash at staples for amazon gift cards (which I would use on Amazon) and then maybe like $1200-1500 in visa or amex gift cards. I would use the visa or amex gift cards for everyday spend (groceries/gas/miscellaneous) and would not do any money orders, cashing out etc. Or would this raise red flags with chase? If yes, will limiting it to amazon gift cards only be a better approach? I don't think I'd use the ink cash for much else except internet and maybe like $100 a month at 7-11. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you think overall fine, would the type of visa gift card I buy at staples make any difference? For what it's worth I'm also a chase private client and can show real personal income of like $350k and business income of like $10k. Thanks so much in advance!

Online BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: August 20, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »
Hi All, long-time reader here, and wanted to get your thoughts on the below. I do all my banking with Chase and put like monthly $3k-4k real spend on Freedom unlimited (33k CL), $450 on CIP (15k CL), and like $500 on freedom (20k CL) (5x categories only). I recently got an ink cash for the bonus (6k CL) and like the idea of getting 7.5% back (after the 1.5% CSR bonus on the chase travel website) on all my everyday spend instead of the 2.25% on freedom unlimited I'm currently getting. I open one or two new credit cards for the bonus around around every 6 to 9 months. My other chase card is a southwest personal (15k CL) (almost no spend there). Do you think there would be any issue putting $500-750 a month on the ink cash at staples for amazon gift cards (which I would use on Amazon) and then maybe like $1200-1500 in visa or amex gift cards. I would use the visa or amex gift cards for everyday spend (groceries/gas/miscellaneous) and would not do any money orders, cashing out etc. Or would this raise red flags with chase? If yes, will limiting it to amazon gift cards only be a better approach? I don't think I'd use the ink cash for much else except internet and maybe like $100 a month at 7-11. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you think overall fine, would the type of visa gift card I buy at staples make any difference? For what it's worth I'm also a chase private client and can show real personal income of like $350k and business income of like $10k. Thanks so much in advance!
Long time reader you should know the correct thread to post this question

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #7045 on: August 20, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »

That's not a crazy amount of spend, I wouldn't be concerned.

Long time reader you should know the correct thread to post this question
If you find a more appropriate thread, please share the link.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline YosefG

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: August 20, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #7047 on: August 21, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
So another one bites the dust...
Chase closed me down again:(
No luck of getting reopened here

They closed my checking, savings, 2/5 Credit cards

Did anyone have luck getting reopened with a checking account closed?
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline S123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: August 21, 2018, 08:43:57 PM »
So another one bites the dust...
Chase closed me down again:(
No luck of getting reopened here

They closed my checking, savings, 2/5 Credit cards

Did anyone have luck getting reopened with a checking account closed?
why’d you get shutdown?

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: August 21, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »
why’d you get shutdown?

No reason given on the letter.

I called them and they said they don’t have to give me a reason, so like I have the rights to decide which banks I want to Bank at, they have the rights to decide which customer to do business with...

#nasty customer service
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7050 on: August 21, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »

I called them and they said they don’t have to give me a reason, so like I have the rights to decide which banks I want to Bank at, they have the rights to decide which customer to do business with...

#nasty customer service
For CC shutdowns they are required to give you a specific reason. Send a certified letter requesting it.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline S123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7051 on: August 21, 2018, 08:52:52 PM »

#nasty customer service
you don’t know what you did wrong?

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #7052 on: August 21, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »
For CC shutdowns they are required to give you a specific reason. Send a certified letter requesting it.

Where would I send the letter to?

Certified by whom?

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #7053 on: August 21, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
you don’t know what you did wrong?

Actually haven’t done much transaction with chase since my first shut down back in April

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7054 on: August 21, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »
Where would I send the letter to?

Certified by whom?
Is there an address on the letter you received? USPS certified with return receipt.

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #7055 on: August 21, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »
Is there an address on the letter you received? USPS certified with return receipt.

PO box
San Antonio, TX

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7056 on: August 21, 2018, 09:08:44 PM »
PO box
San Antonio, TX
That works.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #7057 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
Here is what Citi is now putting on their closure notices because of cases they lost in arbitration.
You may request a statement of specific reasons for the action taken to close your account by calling 1-800-669-8488 or writing to the address below within 60 days of the date of this letter:

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #7058 on: August 25, 2018, 11:46:02 PM »
So how many cards can I have with Chase at once? Is a 2bm a sure way to get AA'd??

Offline israel11219

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7059 on: August 27, 2018, 09:18:34 PM »
chase closed all of my wife's cc acct, don't know the reason why. is taking advantage of the 5% cash back on the freedom cards a reason to get A/A'd? what could i do about it?