Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1687520 times)

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
Though he blocked my PMs, so I might be iggied by him as well.
You needed a time out.  :P
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »
Totally unfair to to shut down all hard-earned points along with the cards. If they say the AA reason is just because of too high CL, (no fraud), than why do they fine you and eliminate all the points you earned? how do they explain that?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »
Totally unfair to to shut down all hard-earned points along with the cards. If they say the AA reason is just because of too high CL, (no fraud), than why do they fine you and eliminate all the points you earned? how do they explain that?
T&C's state they can close your card for any reason. They are closing AARP cards so they don’t have to pay the rewards.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
You needed a time out.  :P

Feel free to time me out permanently, I don't mind at all.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #364 on: March 14, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »
I know that. But how do they EXPLAIN it for ya?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 14, 2012, 11:29:26 AM »
Account not used as intended.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »

They don't have to. And often they don't.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »

They don't need to. For one thing, it acts as a deterrent for those that understand the repercussions of opening up too much credit in a short period. I doubt they'd want to give you a reason to avoid any lawsuits anyhow.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:35:58 PM by scwam »

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
Can they take back points from united once they post?

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »
And you wonder why you got shut down?
what would you say about my wifes cards that in total she has a 47k CL and by chase 15k and she also got closed down. they told me that on the Credit Report it says that she has 4 chase cards (when she only has 3. 1 she switched over and closed down about 3 months ago) and 70k in total CL. when i tried to tell them that its not true they told me go dispute your credit report! I got one and i'm still trying to convince them.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #370 on: March 14, 2012, 01:46:02 PM »
what would you say about my wifes cards that in total she has a 47k CL and by chase 15k and she also got closed down. they told me that on the Credit Report it says that she has 4 chase cards (when she only has 3. 1 she switched over and closed down about 3 months ago) and 70k in total CL. when i tried to tell them that its not true they told me go dispute your credit report! I got one and i'm still trying to convince them.

Generally, closed accounts stay on one's CR for 10 years. Perhaps the Chase CSR saw the closed (fourth) account, and mistakenly thought you had four open? I don't know.

Also, how am I (or anyone else) supposed to evaluate your wife's position without knowing her stated income? 47K (or 70K) CL vs ??K income?

Last, it's been known that once Chase shuts down someone at an address, others can soon follow. Ask Avid Reader (or read earlier in this thread).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 14, 2012, 01:53:09 PM »
Generally, closed accounts stay on one's CR for 10 years. Perhaps the Chase CSR saw the closed (fourth) account, and mistakenly thought you had four open? I don't know.
if he looked on her credit report she switched more than 1 account in the past 10 years.

Also, how am I (or anyone else) supposed to evaluate your wife's position without knowing her stated income? 47K (or 70K) CL vs ??K income?
$65k
Last, it's been known that once Chase shuts down someone at an address, others can soon follow. Ask Avid Reader (or read earlier in this thread).
but they closed hers before mine.

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 14, 2012, 01:56:52 PM »
I love how everyone is giving opinions on something that they know nothing about for certain.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 14, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
if he looked on her credit report she switched more than 1 account in the past 10 years.
$65k
but they closed hers before mine.

1. More than one Chase account?
2. 65k income vs. (what s/he believes is) 70K CL = red flag (IMHO) which may = fail.
3. So? From you to her or her to you is irrelevant. They're known to close more than one person at the same address. "Painting with broad strokes..." "Casting a wide net..." Pick your metaphor.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 14, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
At least we know much better than 99% of all Chase CSR and employees

Offline 123ablack

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 14, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
Hi All,
I'm sooooo scared :(.... and seriously need someone to calm me.

Here are my open credit cards, Credit Lines and other info/factors:

CHASE PERSONAL
• Chase Sapphire Preferred: 5k (Applied 6/'11)
• Chase Continental One Pass: 5k (Applied 11/'11)
• Chase Southwest: 5k (Applied 11/'11)

CHASE BUSINESS (legit business with fed Tax ID - but had to provide my SSN as well)
• Chase GM Business Card: 7500 (Applied 5/'11)
• Chase Business Ink Bold "Charge Card": flexible spending limit: 25k (Applied 11/'11

Other financial institutions:
PERSONAL
• Citi AAdvantage: 7k (Applied 6/'11)
• HSBC GM Card: 3k (Applied 5/'11)
• Amex Platinum "Charge Card" CL: ? (Applied 7/'11)
• Amex Premier Gold "Charge Card" CL: ? (Applied 7/'11)

BUSINESS
• Amex Business Membership Rewards Card: 4700 (Applied 12/'10

FACTS
• Fact 1: my last reported annual income with chase was 85k
• Fact 2 : When I opened the Chase Sapphore Preferees on 6/'11, I had to close Slate card with a 5k CL that I had since 2008.
• Fact 3: some of the mentioned cards were done on a 3bm.
• Fact 4: I do have a chase personal checking and saving as well as a Chase Business Checking

- Total Chase Personal Credit Line: 15k
- Total Citi Personal CL: 7k
- Total HSBC Personal CL: 3k
- Total Amex Personal (2 Charge Cards) CL: ?
- Total Amex Business CL: 4700
- Total Chase Business CL: 7500 + Ink Bold business charge card with 25 spend limit

So here are my questions:
1. how do they calculate an Amex charge card credit limit?
2. how do they calculate the ink business cahrge card credit limit (when they do say I have a spending limit of 25k on it)?
3. Do they include my business credit lines at all? I know that it doesn't affect utilization ratio but how about calculating risk factor?
4. What does AARP stand for?

AM I AT RISK???? AND WHAT CAN I DO TO REDUCE THE RISK OF A/A??

Thanks much!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:28:23 PM by 123ablack »

Offline oldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 14, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
1. More than one Chase account?
yes
2. 65k income vs. (what s/he believes is) 70K CL = red flag (IMHO) which may = fail.
so that goes with everybody that keeps on switching accounts

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 14, 2012, 02:46:35 PM »
yes so that goes with everybody that keeps on switching accounts

Honestly, I don't know much about Chase's internal risk department or their A/A department. Nor can I explain why a Chase CSR thought you had 4 open accounts when you in fact had 3. I thought it might be because he or she confused a closed account with an open one, but you said that you had other closed Chase accounts on your CR, so there goes that. 

All I am saying is that having a monthly credit line which exceeds your annual stated income is certainly not a good thing.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 14, 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
Honestly, I don't know much about Chase's internal risk department or their A/A department. Nor can I explain why a Chase CSR thought you had 4 open accounts when you in fact had 3. I thought it might be because he or she confused a closed account with an open one, but you said that you had other closed Chase accounts on your CR, so there goes that. 

All I am saying is that having a monthly credit line which exceeds your annual stated income is certainly not a good thing.
just saying you logic is a little faulty you don't have monthly credit line. You have a total credit line it is not time based if i have a5k cl i can't owe them more than 5k at any one time it may be that i pay it off every month so i can spend 5k every month but that does not mean i have a 5k a month cl

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
So here are my questions:
1. how do they calculate an Amex charge card credit limit?
2. how do they calculate the ink business cahrge card credit limit (when they do say I have a spending limit of 25k on it)?
3. Do they include my business credit lines at all? I know that it doesn't affect utilization ratio but how about calculating risk factor?
4. What does AARP stand for?

AM I AT RISK???? AND WHAT CAN I DO TO REDUCE THE RISK OF A/A??

Thanks much!

1. Technically, there is no "limit" for charge cards, at least officially. That being said, there is an amount (based initially on your credit report and adjusted according to your spending patterns thereafter) after which new charges will no longer be approved.
2. Others can chime in.
3. I'm not an expert, nor do I work for Chase's risk department, but I would imagine that they include all accessible credit in determining potential downside risk.
4. Chase AARP.