Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1687140 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #460 on: March 20, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.

I (didn't quote  and) wasn't asking you.

8)

I don't consider myself an expert, but I'll tell you what I think are some of the triggers ("IMHO"):

• Too many recent Chase apps
  • Too many recent apps/inquiries with other issuers
  • Abuse of Chase rewards (e.g. 5% cashback on AARP)
  • Applying for CCs, spending the minimum requred to get the signup bonus, then no more spent on those cards  (especially if you do this too many times)
  • Some combination of the above

There might be others I haven't thought of, and I have no idea what Chase considers to be too much or recent.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #461 on: March 20, 2012, 05:01:08 PM »
I consider point #4 the most reasonable.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 20, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
#3 wins hands down!!!  :)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 20, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
???  So only the person that the question was directed at should answer? 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #464 on: March 20, 2012, 05:21:25 PM »
It may be reasonable, but I and thousands of others do just that without any repercussions so far ba"h.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: March 20, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »
???  So only the person that the question was directed at should answer? 

In this case yes. He asked for an expert and I was asking him to clarify what he meant by that.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 20, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
In this case yes. He asked for an expert and I was asking him to clarify what he meant by that.
Fair answer except for one thing. Miles and I both quoted you in consecutive posts. You only singled one of us out. It is so transparent it is not even funny. You know where to post if you want to continue this further unless your purpose is to take this further off topic.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 20, 2012, 05:47:03 PM »
Fair answer except for one thing. Miles and I both quoted you in consecutive posts. You only singled one of us out. It is so transparent it is not even funny. You know where to post if you want to continue this further unless your purpose is to take this further off topic.

1. You took this conversation off topic, I was answering a question.
2. You +1'd his question, meaning you also want the answer to his question.
3. I answered the question IMHO, if you don't consider me an expert, then I'm not qualified to answer your question.
4. Here's transparency: I don't like your confrontational attitude, and I reserve the right to ignore your questions while answering others' questions as I please.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
1. You took this conversation off topic, I was answering a question.
2. You +1'd his question, meaning you also want the answer to his question.
3. I answered the question IMHO, if you don't consider me an expert, then I'm not qualified to answer your question.
4. Here's transparency: I don't like your confrontational attitude, and I reserve the right to ignore your questions while answering others' questions as I please.
Nice diatribe. You have a future in politics! All I did was answer a question. You came back with another one of your snide remarks. Offer still stands to continue this in Shmooze but remember no credit for posts.

What do you consider an expert?
A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »
helpme i could use additional advice (pun intended)
little ot: does b* stop soft pulls
( i meant) does  a freez stop soft pulls?

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #470 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »

I don't consider myself an expert, but I'll tell you what I think are some of the triggers ("IMHO"):

• Too many recent Chase apps
  • Too many recent apps/inquiries with other issuers
  • Abuse of Chase rewards (e.g. 5% cashback on AARP)
  • Applying for CCs, spending the minimum requred to get the signup bonus, then no more spent on those cards  (especially if you do this too many times)
  • Some combination of the above

There might be others I haven't thought of, and I have no idea what Chase considers to be too much or recent.
I was right when i told ur the expert

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2012, 02:40:32 AM »
( i meant) does  a freez stop soft pulls?
From CK:

"A security freeze, which can be initiated at all 3 major credit bureaus, locks access to your credit file against anyone trying to open a new account or creditors trying to check your credit report. This is typically done to reduce risk of identity theft. It can also put a stop to pre-approved/pre-screened offers because creditors can’t do a soft inquiry on your credit file in order check your eligibility for their offer."

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »

help me :
don't u get tired of telling everyone "You know where to post "

Offline dans fan

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 21, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »
help me :
please. if you feel the need to have it out with him , do it somewhere else. i dont know why you feel attacked by other forum members, no one think that you posts are pointless and that you have bad ideas. your a good guy. but whats the point in fighting. dont forget it takes two to tango 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:04:45 PM by dans fan »

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
help me :
Please post your off topic comments here and I will be more than happy to engage you unless your purpose is to take this thread off topic and pad your post count.  :P

Offline Walk On the Ocean

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 29, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Question: I just opened a Chase Ink Bold ans Sapphire card. I'm terrified of getting shut down being that I am a fairly frequent churner. (In the past 12 months I have has 2 SPP cards, a hyatt, a CO and a UA card...). When the points post i can either 1) Shut down the cards right away and stop churning chase CC's for a while or 2) keep the cards open, spend a few bucks a month on them.
Which of the two above options will be less of a red flag on my account?
I understand there is no clear cut answer and it's always YMMV to some extent, but based of people's experiences/knowledge which is the better route to take if i need to stay under the radar?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »
Question: I just opened a Chase Ink Bold ans Sapphire card. I'm terrified of getting shut down being that I am a fairly frequent churner. (In the past 12 months I have has 2 SPP cards, a hyatt, a CO and a UA card...). When the points post i can either 1) Shut down the cards right away and stop churning chase CC's for a while or 2) keep the cards open, spend a few bucks a month on them.
I understand there is no clear cut answer and it's always YMMV to some extent, but based of people's experiences/knowledge which is the better route to take if i need to stay under the radar?

Transfer out the points and keep them open for a while. I would say that would be better. But as always we don't have any clear cut answers to what triggers an AA from Chase.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 29, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
When Chase takes AA it is usually based on what you have done already. What you are currently doing does not matter. Many have stopped using their AARP cards but the accounts were still closed.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #478 on: March 29, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
There are hundreds of us that have churned more than you have and haven't been shut down.  Until it becomes more widespread it's not something I'd worry about it too much.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #479 on: March 29, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »
@Fly On The Ocean: I don't get the logic of your considering to shut down the accounts right away.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.