Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1700410 times)

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #560 on: April 15, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
If you would like to, please give me a exact breakdown of the cards she opened the past year and what date. Also, she had a balance on her card at the time they shut her down? If not, when did she paid the last 2 bills? (I'm not a IRS agent)
she had 4 Amex cards during the summer, another citi card, which are all closed now.

On one card there was a balance due of $60. the other outstanding balances weren't due yet, but in total they were like $1300, out of a credit limit of 13K.

On her credit history of 7+ years, there was not a single payment paid after the due date.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #561 on: April 15, 2012, 10:34:23 AM »
she had 4 Amex cards during the summer, another citi card, which are all closed now.
This may be the A/A trigger.  She's closed 50% of her available cards in the past year, leaving almost all of her credit risk at Chase.  When Chase did a hard pull for the Sapphire they probably saw that and it raised a red flag IMHO.  So I don't think a single app would cause the A/A (after all millions of people do that all the time with no A/A), rather the extreme (in their opinion) circumstances they found out when they did the hard pull for the app that caused the A/A.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 15, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »
SI: You will have to wait to see the letter then send you to see what’s up. If it states “not used as intended” you have about a zero chance of getting them reopened. If it states other reasons then there is a small chance you can work something out and get one or two cards reopened.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #563 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:40 AM »
what does not used as intended mean? other than the big scams like funding accounts, aarp

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 15, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »
One other thing that I can think of is, that this card was actually turned to the fraud department before getting approved, because they suspected fraud. A week after getting my new SP MC, I added an AU, and had them mail out the card directly to that person. so I guess, they were suspecting fraud.

My question is, if that's the case, how can i prove them otherwise?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 15, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »
what does not used as intended mean? other than the big scams like funding accounts, aarp
It is BS to cover their a**. Funding an account is not a scam and is allowed according to the T&C's.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #566 on: April 15, 2012, 11:06:43 AM »
@HelpMe: Can you please tell me what is not being used for intended purpose? Chase is referring to what when they closed accounts for that reason?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #567 on: April 15, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »
@HelpMe: Can you please tell me what is not being used for intended purpose? Chase is referring to what when they closed accounts for that reason?
Account funding can most definitely be a cause for A/A and F/R.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 15, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »
It is an excuse made up by Chase. They can’t come out and say you earned too many rewards and that is why we are closing your account.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 15, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »
Account funding can most definitely be a cause for A/A and F/R.
I am not disagreeing with you but nowhere in the T&C’s is this prohibited. If they do not charged a cash advance fee that is there problem not mine.

Maybe someone should ask Chase why they allow their own checking account to be funded with a Chase CC.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #570 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »
@side incomer, they closed down her accounts while she had an unpaid balance?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 15, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
@side incomer, they closed down your accounts while she had an unpaid balance?
The due date is in about 3 weeks, but the statement closed already.
The other cards have not even hit the closing cycle.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 15, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
@side incomer, they closed down her accounts while she had an unpaid balance?
Many AARP cards were closed with balances with the 0%/12 mo promo still working.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #573 on: April 15, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
Its so scary! I just transfered out all my SP UR to UA, even though I devaluated the points for the (likely) event of selling the miles.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #574 on: April 15, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
One other thing that I can think of is, that this card was actually turned to the fraud department before getting approved, because they suspected fraud. A week after getting my new SP MC, I added an AU, and had them mail out the card directly to that person. so I guess, they were suspecting fraud.

My question is, if that's the case, how can i prove them otherwise?
That's interesting necause A family member of mine had their checking/savings accounts shut down and was banned from ever opening accounts again (Though BH her CC accounts were spared) and I distinctly remember that everything spiraled out of control from a fraud alert. First she couldn't access her online account so she spent an hour at the branch proving her identity and clearing things up and then when this happened again they were fuming with her and said "we no longer want to do business with you, we'll write you a check with the remaining balance and please don't come into the branch again"  :o BTW she had NO idea what caused these fraud alerts, and they made it seem like it was her fault...

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 15, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
Once they shut you can UR get transferred anywhere?

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 15, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »

No.

Offline yitzf

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 15, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »
No.
A few people have been able to get a check from chase for 1cent/point albeit with much difficulty

Offline aryeh1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 15, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 15, 2012, 01:46:12 PM »
That's interesting necause A family member of mine had their checking/savings accounts shut down and was banned from ever opening accounts again (Though BH her CC accounts were spared) and I distinctly remember that everything spiraled out of control from a fraud alert. First she couldn't access her online account so she spent an hour at the branch proving her identity and clearing things up and then when this happened again they were fuming with her and said "we no longer want to do business with you, we'll write you a check with the remaining balance and please don't come into the branch again"  :o BTW she had NO idea what caused these fraud alerts, and they made it seem like it was her fault...

I had worked in the fraud dept for the former citibank issuer. Sometimes there was uncertainty about weather a family member was opening and paying on account under another family members info. We had very few measures to know for sure if it was the true person holding these accounts other than possibly contacting the true person (either at another address or country). We typically put a freeze on the suspected accounts until further documentation could be obtained. The probability of this type of fraud is examined closer when multiple people live at the same address and personal infomation on the account didn't line up with what we had in outsourced databases.