Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1700513 times)

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #580 on: April 15, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
A few people have been able to get a check from chase for 1cent/point albeit with much difficulty
i tried 5 times i even spoke to the executive office and they refused to give me 1cent/point

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 15, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
I had worked in the fraud dept for the former citibank issuer. Sometimes there was uncertainty about weather a family member was opening and paying on account under another family members info. We had very few measures to know for sure if it was the true person holding these accounts other than possibly contacting the true person (either at another address or country). We typically put a freeze on the suspected accounts until further documentation could be obtained. The probability of this type of fraud is examined closer when multiple people live at the same address and personal infomation on the account didn't line up with what we had in outsourced databases.

Can u give an example of  "  Sometimes there was uncertainty about weather a family member was opening and paying on account under another family members info."

are u saying if i pay my wife's  individual credit card  from my individual checking account it causes a flag if we do not share same address on both accounts   

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 15, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »
I'm busy the last few weeks to set up a theory of the triggers of chase A/A and how to prevent it, I'm still not done with my analytical work, but I'll post once....

How many data points are you able to collect to conduct a proper study?

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 15, 2012, 03:45:12 PM »
i tried 5 times i even spoke to the executive office and they refused to give me 1cent/point
What was the reason you were shut down? "Not used as intended" or s/t else?

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #584 on: April 15, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
I had worked in the fraud dept for the former citibank issuer. Sometimes there was uncertainty about weather a family member was opening and paying on account under another family members info. We had very few measures to know for sure if it was the true person holding these accounts other than possibly contacting the true person (either at another address or country). We typically put a freeze on the suspected accounts until further documentation could be obtained. The probability of this type of fraud is examined closer when multiple people live at the same address and personal infomation on the account didn't line up with what we had in outsourced databases.
:o Scary.

Was this just to make sure that family members are not opening cards for other family without permission = fraud?
Or the banks don't like this behavior altogether, even with the account holders permission?

Offline Walk On the Ocean

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: April 15, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
This may be the A/A trigger.  She's closed 50% of her available cards in the past year, leaving almost all of her credit risk at Chase.  When Chase did a hard pull for the Sapphire they probably saw that and it raised a red flag IMHO. So I don't think a single app would cause the A/A (after all millions of people do that all the time with no A/A), rather the extreme (in their opinion) circumstances they found out when they did the hard pull for the app that caused the A/A.
@Joeb1/oldguy/Avid Reader/anyone else who had been A/A'd:
Does this sound like it could be the reason you guys were shut down? (Meaning prior to A/A had you closed down most cards from other issuers leaving all/most credit risk with chase?)

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #586 on: April 15, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
Does this sound like it could be the reason you guys were shut down? (Meaning prior to A/A had you closed down most cards from other issuers leaving all/most credit risk with chase?)

in my case, most definitively not. In fact it was the opposite, they claimed I had too much available credit overall, and suggested closing out other cards.

Offline youthink

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 15, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »
I had 4 Chase CC accounts closed last August. After much discussion the only reasons given was that I had too many applications recently opened. Now, what's weird is that between the last Chase App and the A/A I had not made any new applications so why were the 'too many applications' not a problem when I applied? I spoke to multiple managers in any department I can speak with, sent in a detailed fax but all I was told was to try again in a few months as your 'credit profile' constantly changes. They were quite stubborn even though the Experian I pulled contained less active accounts than the one they pulled (supposedly on same day) and that I had more Citi inquiries than I should have due to technical issues. Regardless, I did lose a decent # of UR points in the process...lesson learned...transfer as soon as you can.

I think the trigger was that about two weeks before the A/A I closed 4 Amex accounts which left most of my CCs with Chase. They didn't say that outright, but they would say my credit report doesn't have a lot of 'depth' and couldn't reverse the decision. I'm not sure how they define 'depth' but I've had at least one card continually active since 2003, never had a late or missed payment (that showed on the credit report) and had a credit score in the high 700s. I also don't live in the US so things like mortgages and car leases are not on my US report.

Fast forward to the present. I wanted to see if Chase would approve me. I called the credit department as I know they can take a look at your credit report without doing a hard inquiry as when I was speaking with them in August they did this several times. Here's what's really wacky: The manager said there is absolutely no record of my accounts anywhere in the Chase system. After much digging, he found the original applications but it was as if they were deleted from their system since then. Completely purged as he put it. No record of activity, payments or anything else. He couldn't pull up my accounts by SSN, phone#, card# or anything else. He claims never to have seen this happen and did not know how it would impact any future applications. He was tactful to acknowledge that the only way to see if they will approve me is by re-applying which is effectively 'you doing exactly what we advised you not to do' (ie: having too many inquiries).

On my credit report it shows the accounts as 'closed by credit issuer,' but it doesn't appear to have impacted my score. I've made no apps since then but I'm getting antsy. Anyone have any insight into this?

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 15, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »
Is transferring UR to a non relative account an AA risk?

Offline mordy44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 15, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
My friend just had his credit cards shut down over yom tov. They said to call back tomorrow to find out the reasons why. He had a very large amount of UR points in his account and is no longer able to transfer them. Are the chances of getting compensated for those points really so slim?  :'(

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 15, 2012, 06:06:40 PM »
@youthink (I'm not quoting you bc I don't want to take up too much space)
What an insane story!!!! All I can say is try applying for new cards and see what Chase says! (can't hurt too much since you have no other recent inquiries anyhow...)
AND dispute the "closed by credit issuer" from your CR's! should be easy to do since chase has deleted everything and has no proof anymore
P.S.
I have only 17k UR points as of now, but I sure as heck am gonna transfer 'em ASAP!
EDIT: Chase site keeps crashing, and I can't make any transfers >:(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:02:59 PM by Walk On the Ocean »

Offline scwam

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 15, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
I think I've mentioned here that I try to keep my total available credit limited to Chase owning no more than 50% of total. Its just an arbitrary number I feel comfortable with.
:o Scary.

Was this just to make sure that family members are not opening cards for other family without permission = fraud?
Or the banks don't like this behavior altogether, even with the account holders permission?

Yeah, that was deemed fraud. We threatened prosecution until we got an admission from the family member (usually not directly to the suspected member we were talking to but I've heard it stated directly to them by a rep there a few times). We closed the accounts regardless of weather the real cardholder said it was ok or not ok. I think then it got passed off to another department to try to get the money rather than going through with prosecution. I can't remember much as it was rare and so long ago. They just didn't like an account being opened where the real applicant had no knowledge of the existance of such account.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:30:16 PM by scwam »

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #592 on: April 15, 2012, 06:37:47 PM »
I'm reading and reading and reading and reading and reading all over the world-wide-web about ppls stories with Chase A/A. All I can say its SOOO scary! But as general question, not going into specific details of the triggers, I would love to hear your opinion: is the flag-raising trigger credit risk or rewards abuse? That's the first question needed to be answered before digging more.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 15, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
I'm reading and reading and reading and reading and reading all over the world-wide-web about ppls stories with Chase A/A. All I can say its SOOO scary! But as general question, not going into specific details of the triggers, I would love to hear your opinion: is the flag-raising trigger credit risk or rewards abuse? That's the first question needed to be answered before digging more.
Yes
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #594 on: April 15, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
Yes
Yes to what? Both?

What would be award abuse? Would racking up points legit thru UR Mall called award abuse?

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 15, 2012, 07:03:56 PM »
Yes to what? Both?
+1

What would be award abuse? Would racking up points legit thru UR Mall called award abuse?
Doubt it

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #596 on: April 15, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »
Again, I'm not going into detail what is considered rewards abuse or credit risk. And to you, HelpMe: no! Now ask me: what no?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline mordy44

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 15, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
My friend had 4-5 people transfer points into his account, Is this technically rewards abuse?

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #598 on: April 15, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
yes

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 15, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »
"Elvis Has Left The Building"