Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1686927 times)

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #620 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:15 AM »
Sorry, yeah, some words I am terrible with this. Is there a spell check embedded on this forum?
i actually never noticed any other mistakes  :)
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline scwam

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
You gotta dolla' dawg?

Online aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 16, 2012, 12:14:48 AM »
  and mordy44's friend had people transfer alot of UR points into his acct. This is now a confirmed mega trigger. Now we need to figure out how much transferring causes the trigger.
Did mordys friend that transferred over UR into his account also get shut.

Im wondering if I transfer out my points into someone else acct , if thats an AA risk.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 16, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
if I was from florida I would also think of the weather in my posts.

Offline mordy44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
I don't think that having numerous transfers into ones account is a red flag. My friend recently (within 3-4 months) applied for 4 Chase cards; mainly for the bonus. I suspect that this was the trigger. I also know numerous people who have well over 35 transfers into their UR accounts and none have been flagged

Offline mordy44

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 16, 2012, 12:17:59 AM »
Did mordys friend that transferred over UR into his account also get shut

No

Online aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 16, 2012, 12:20:44 AM »
My friend recently (within 3-4 months) applied for 4 Chase cards; mainly for the bonus.
Many of us do this. I have applied for 5 cards over the past few months. Is this an AA trigger?

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 16, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »
I don't think that having numerous transfers into ones account is a red flag. My friend recently (within 3-4 months) applied for 4 Chase cards; mainly for the bonus. I suspect that this was the trigger. I also know numerous people who have well over 35 transfers into their UR accounts and none have been flagged
joeb1 said "i know personally 3 ppl that got shutdown for doing this (transferring UR points into their accounts) however tons of ppl do it w/o any trouble so ymmv
" he claims he knows 3 guys that got shut, and he knows it was 4 this reason. so how r u so confident that wasn't the reason, he himself admits that many don't get shut 4 this reason. But i think much more ppl would get shut on DDf, if it was 4 too much credit recently. "punkt" mordy44's friend and old guy had ALOT of transferred points, which is a much less common phenom, too big of a punkt for me. + we have joeb1's claim. + we know for a fact abuse can be a factor from the AARP A/As
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:28:56 AM by Lamdan »

Offline mordy44

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 16, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »
Many of us do this. I have applied for 5 cards over the past few months. Is this an AA trigger?

Not sure. I gotta find out what his total credit situation it. How much of his CL was with Chase etc. He going to call tomorrow, so praying for the best....

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 16, 2012, 12:28:11 AM »

if I was from florida I would also think of the weather in my posts.
;D

Online aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: April 16, 2012, 12:55:22 AM »
I saw this , thought it was funny

alamo11 said:   
Where do I start?

1. Paypal- Wanted my social, told the rep to go f*** himself and got banned
2. eBay - Unpaid fees, mostly pissed at paypal so I didn't pay
3. Chase Bank - Playing the balance transfer game
4. Dell - Flipping outlet computers on craigslist/eBay
5. Verizon - Kept getting "upgrades" as warranty replacement
6. Publix Supermarkets - Buying all the AMEX gift cards for resale online as VCC's (ban was no buying gift cards for a year, passed now.)
--
Almost Banned List
1. Staples -- Buying too many 20" HP monitors with 25 off 75 coupons and reselling on craigslist (Corporate called and warned me like 3 times)
2. Comcrap -- Going over 250 GB cap by over a terebyte. (warned that if I "pull that stunt again" I'd be banned for a year)
3. Amazon -- Too many trade-ins/returns/refusals/whining to chat for $25 credits every other day over the dumbest things (got email that I was almost banned)
4. AMEX Gift cards -- Registering 15 gift cards a day for a month straight (Banned from AMEX, had to send certified letter to Executive care)

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2012, 01:23:18 AM »
Just throwing this out there:
Possible that only people with a Chase bank account get A/A'd because Chase can see another side of their financial situation based on what's going on in their bank account?

Anyone here who was AA'd and didn't have a Chase bank account?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #632 on: April 16, 2012, 03:27:55 AM »

Yes, my brother.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 16, 2012, 03:30:53 AM »
Yes, my brother.
But was he A/A'd because he was on the same address as the original person who got A/A'd or was he unrelated to anyone who had a Chase bank account?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #634 on: April 16, 2012, 03:35:27 AM »
But was he A/A'd because he was on the same address as the original person who got A/A'd or was he unrelated to anyone who had a Chase bank account?

Not on the same address as me, though I was managing his account, so...

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »
Just throwing this out there:
Possible that only people with a Chase bank account get A/A'd because Chase can see another side of their financial situation based on what's going on in their bank account?

Yes, my wife didn't have a Chase checking.
Other people in my family on the same address did have, and didn't get shut down.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #636 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »
In order to minimize the catastrophe in the event of a A/A, I assign a different apartment number for each member in my supposedly household. (for example: 5-A; 5-B) I hope that'll help.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline youthink

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 16, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »
I did not have a Chase bank account when my CCs were shut down. They made some noise about speaking with a financial advisor at my bank which 'in your case is not Chase.' I don't think having or not having a Chase bank account has anything to do with being A/Ad.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »
Yes, my wife didn't have a Chase checking.
Other people in my family on the same address did have, and didn't get shut down.

I did not have a Chase bank account when my CCs were shut down. They made some noise about speaking with a financial advisor at my bank which 'in your case is not Chase.' I don't think having or not having a Chase bank account has anything to do with being A/Ad.
Gotcha. Was just probing around.

Offline dans fan

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:42 AM »
No, he meant to say Dan's theory of the day, that Chase is the one who trusts you with the biggest potion of your available credit.
thats def not a risk, i am sure there are thousands that have only chase cc and their entire cl is with chase , (i know s/o that has just 3 cc all chase with cl over 100k)