Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1687463 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #1080 on: May 02, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »
I read it 2 months ago. Would you mind to remind me?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline aryeh1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 02, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »
Only allowed transfer between spouses

Offline oldguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 02, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
i guess bc i transferrred chase points to them Or because they applied for too many cards.  we all applied for the chase sapphire mc yesterday.
I also applied for a SP WMC the day before i got A/A'd but probably it's only a coincidence.

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 02, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
I also applied for a SP WMC the day before i got A/A'd but probably it's only a coincidence.

It's probably NOT a coincidence

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1084 on: May 02, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
Actually it probably is.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #1085 on: May 02, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
Hopefully false alarm. Fraud alert, but something weird is going on. I'll report back when I can log into my accounts again
Just a fraud alert (albeit a nasty one). I'm up and running
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 02, 2012, 05:42:48 PM »
Just a fraud alert (albeit a nasty one). I'm up and running
glad to hear it

Offline mordy44

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 02, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
A/A Update: So my friend called Chase numerous times and was eventually told that he got the infamous "accts not used as intended" reply.

After much pleading, yelling, complaining....... the represented remarked how the points in his UR acct did not seem to match the amount that he had been spending on his cards.

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 02, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
A/A Update: So my friend called Chase numerous times and was eventually told that he got the infamous "accts not used as intended" reply.

After much pleading, yelling, complaining....... the represented remarked how the points in his UR acct did not seem to match the amount that he had been spending on his cards.
y should it. there are bonuses and people use points

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 02, 2012, 07:05:44 PM »

That is not good. The bigger problem is this is now happening to cards besides the AARP.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 02, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »
That is not good. The bigger problem is this is now happening to cards besides the AARP.

I wish they would tell you WHAT exactly you were doing that wasn't as intended!
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mordy44

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 02, 2012, 07:09:32 PM »
y should it. there are bonuses and people use points

He had numerous decent sized transfers into his acct. Doubtful that they'll flag you just for signup bonus.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 02, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
He had numerous decent sized transfers into his acct. Doubtful that they'll flag you just for signup bonus.
Do you know what type of spending? A lot of so called cash equivalents (funding accounts, AP, SQ). Spending more than stated CL each month?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 02, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »
I wish they would tell you WHAT exactly you were doing that wasn't as intended!
For the AARP card they would say but it was simple to figure out. Earning to many rewards.

Offline aryeh1

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 02, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »
Can recon forward your account for A/A? I did 2 - 3 bbm a month apart for my wife and the person seemed to be pretty annoyed that I was approved for so may cards recently.

Offline helixcardinal

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: May 02, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »
Long time lurker on this thread. 

I got A/A'd last Monday, without notice.  Received notification in the mail on Friday saying that all my accounts have been closed.  Not using accounts as intended was NOT one of them.  I also have not done any weird balance transfers, large purchases, venmo, coins, etc.  Never a late payment.  I even opened up a new card last month without issues.  Anyways, I had six cards total, all shut down.  Called in to the regular and executive lines, no one was willing to talk about my case, said all correspondence had to be in writing.  Two letters sent so far with one reply in between, and they're refusing to reopen my accounts.  I'm still waiting to hear back about a proposed compromise, but it doesn't look good.  I didn't think I was at risk for an A/A given that I haven't done any abuse of the accounts, but here I am.  Be careful. 

Offline Walk On the Ocean

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 02, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »

I got A/A'd last Monday, without notice.  Received notification in the mail on Friday saying that all my accounts have been closed.  Not using accounts as intended was NOT one of them.  I also have not done any weird balance transfers, large purchases, venmo, coins, etc.  Never a late payment.  I even opened up a new card last month without issues.  Anyways, I had six cards total, all shut down.  Called in to the regular and executive lines, no one was willing to talk about my case, said all correspondence had to be in writing.  Two letters sent so far with one reply in between, and they're refusing to reopen my accounts.  I'm still waiting to hear back about a proposed compromise, but it doesn't look good.  I didn't think I was at risk for an A/A given that I haven't done any abuse of the accounts, but here I am.  Be careful.
Just to be clear, you don't churn and you have not made any UR transfers to anyone?

Offline Steven

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 02, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »

sorry man :(. Thanks for the heads up. any idea why were shut down? Any info would be helpful

Offline elduderotomy

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »
this is still a rare happening isn't it?

Offline Lamdan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 02, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »
It's becoming very clear that transferring points from UR to another UR is a big trigger. @mordy44, can you be more clear please,
He had numerous "decent" sized transfers into his acct. Doubtful that they'll flag you just for signup bonus.
please define clearly how big "decent" is, 100k, 50k, 20k, etc.?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:15:47 PM by Lamdan »
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser