Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1699568 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #1240 on: May 04, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
Surprised no lawyers have taken that one up yet.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
Maybe it's about time to hire one...
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: May 04, 2012, 05:02:35 PM »
It was considered a bad idea with the AARP card situation but what we are talking about here is totally different. So who wants to be the lead plaintiff and reap the benefits?  :)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1243 on: May 04, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Color me confused.

What law(s) is Chase breaking by refusing to do business with certain people (assuming the basis for such refusal is not based on discrimination)?

In fact, I'm pretty sure the above is explicitly stated in their T&C.

If you owned a lemonade stand, for example, I'm rather certain that you--as the owner--have a right to decline selling lemonade to anyone you choose.

???
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: May 04, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
Color me confused.
I think the approach would be they are closing the accounts because they don’t want to pay out the rewards earned. Would that make a difference?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
they are taking peoples awards that they have earned and not paying them out

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #1246 on: May 04, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
they are taking peoples awards that they have earned and not paying them out
I would assume according to the T&C they could (I didnt read them)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1247 on: May 04, 2012, 06:24:56 PM »
T&C can say a lot of stuff.
Doesn't mean it's all enforceable in a court of law.
It's one thing to do like AMEX and say we choose to discontinue our relationship, you now have 30 days to move points out.

But to confiscate points for being a credit risk doesn't seem right.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 04, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »
It's one thing to do like AMEX and say we choose to discontinue our relationship, you now have 30 days to move points out.

+1 you always word things well dan

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #1249 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »

I agree with you,

But in a court or law - They legally could be right

Unless as to the point that DNC123 brought up of Bank ethics what they have to follow, I have no idea...

Offline abcxyzzz

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 05, 2012, 05:26:57 AM »

Well, what about some contacting CNN to write a story on how they lure/entice you to apply for their cards in the mail/email every other day, you apply, get approved, and rack up the spend on the card, pay off your bills every month, get the bonus points, continue to use the cards as they're advertised to maximize points, and then one day out of the blue you're all of a sudden high-risk, they unexpectedly shut all your accounts down, ruin your credit history and take away all the points you legitimately earned.  Pretty questionable ethics if you ask me.  Especially when they tell you you're high risk when you've never paid a bill late or carried a balance in in your life and you have a credit utilization of under 4%, yet they allow financially irresponsible Americans that have caused our economy to be in the state it's in, to carry numerous Chase cards and consider you 'high risk'?  what a joke.  Maybe a case for discrimination since many of us who are shut down don't earn them interest and late fees...

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 05, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
If anyone is interested in doing s/t legal, it doesn't make sense to just discuss it here. Check out other forums (FT, FW, etc) and see what they're planning, and jump on board with them. Relatively speaking, this is a smallish forum, and the more the merrier

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1252 on: May 05, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »
It's their game, their rules, even if you don't like it.

Their response, "if you don't like it, don't play our game." How many of you would stop signing up for their cards and lucrative sign-up bonuses? Exactly none.

Yes, their procedure could be a little more transparent, and they could be a bit more forthcoming regarding account closures, but as soon as you've been tagged a "credit risk" or "abusive", the game is over according to the rules by which you agreed to be governed. Sucks, but it be the truth.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Walk On the Ocean

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 05, 2012, 11:04:47 PM »

Their response, "if you don't like it, don't play our game." How many of you would stop signing up for their cards and lucrative sign-up bonuses? Exactly none.

Yes, their procedure could be a little more transparent, and they could be a bit more forthcoming regarding account closures, but as soon as you've been tagged a "credit risk" or "abusive", the game is over according to the rules by which you agreed to be governed. Sucks, but it be the truth.

There are multiple cases where it can be proved that they shut customers which didn't break any rules as per their T&C - Instead they shut them when they decided they are no longer "profitable" to them (3 cases I'm aware of that full account closures occurred right after the customer has paid of her mortgage and the other closed his savings and CD account and 1 right after stopping the direct deposit).

The fact they do not give you any warning and then give you no right of appeal is also extremely unethical and illegal to some extend (although they're gonna argue they have all rights to shut anyone/anytime no excuses needed, they're still obligated to some federal and state banking/financial laws and ethics rules)
Good Luck to all of us!
@ AJK
With some people it CAN be proved that they shut dwn the unprofitable customers. As was stated earlier, this may be legal and in-line with their t&c's, but the negative media attention will surely make them think twice about these tactics. And I think thats what people are trying to accomplish.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:11:09 PM by Walk On the Ocean »

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 05, 2012, 11:06:22 PM »

Is someone really with a lot a Credit a Credit Risk to be completely shut down? Why wouldnt cutting CL's be enough?

Dont you find it as an excuse to get 86'd

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 05, 2012, 11:13:22 PM »
@ AJK
With some people it CAN be proved that they shut dwn the unprofitable customers. As was stated earlier, this may be legal and in-line with their t&c's, but the negative media attention will surely make them think twice about these tactics. And I think thats what people are trying to accomplish.
If I were running a company in would also not want to have customers that aren't profitable
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 06, 2012, 01:19:55 AM »
@ AJK
With some people it CAN be proved that they shut dwn the unprofitable customers.

And...? <insert lemonade stand example>

Is someone really with a lot a Credit a Credit Risk to be completely shut down? Why wouldnt cutting CL's be enough?

Dont you find it as an excuse to get 86'd

Perhaps that's the way you would deal with it if Chase was your bank. But, this being "their" bank, they've chosen to go another route. Would it be "nicer" for them to give you 30 days to deal with any already accrued points a la AmEx? Of course, but, again, they are not officially required to do that according to the T&Cs.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 06, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
Does Chase have any idea what is going on? From FWF:

My AARP account was reported closed a month or so ago. Just to see where I stood, I applied for another Chase card (Amazon).

I got the message regarding need to do further review, which was expected. A couple days later a Chase rep called me and asked if I'd like to move my available credit from my (closed by Chase) AARP card over to the new Amazon card. I said sure. She said it all went through just fine and I'd be receiving my new card in a couple weeks.

Offline Asher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »
Shalom,
I never intended to post and don't plan on posting much... I just couldn't resist throwing in what I read and what I know..

@DNC123, cheers and kudos for a well put post! On behalf of all worried DDF'rs (who do not abuse the system and do not violate any rules set by Chase's so called Terms&Conditions) I'd encourage you to utilize your ties and help us put a stop to this.

I recently read an article (can't recall where) about the famous Brooklyn Judge Noach Dear which has recently - in a legal ground breaking decision - dismissed a case (about debt being owed) from Amex Costo card vs. a card holder for the following 2 reasons:
1. Robo Testimony on behalf of Amex (the Amex legal team weren't exactly familiar with this particular case
2. Amex failed to prove that the customer/cardmember acknowledged the receipt and understanding of the fine print/T&C

Just a little biography;
Justice Noach Dear (Shomer Shabbas) who was recently appointed as "acting supreme court judge" in Brooklyn is well known to stand up for the consumers right in cases like foreclosure, collection agencies and credit card companies.
Basically taking on large corporations for their so called terms and conditions.

If you do a Google search on "Noach Dear" you'll find him being quite famous for his fair rulings and settlements.
(see below many links on specific stories an general info)

Financial institutions (including the big-shot and scary JPMorgan Chase) know that when such a case arrives in Justice Dear's courtroom the odds of them winning the case are pretty slim...

Reason of bringing this up: Justice Dear is not a big fan of T&C... He'd rather call it misleading fine print...

@AJK, assuming such a A/A case would arrive in Justice Dear's courtroom, I'd expect (after studying his take and legal mind path) a decision similar to this:
They (chase) clearly have the right not to do business with you if they choose so to begin with... However, Once they accepted you, they do fall under a whole host of Ethical and Legal banking rules (unlike the snack seller in times square...)

They CANNOT steal YOUR (legally) EARNED points, they have NO RIGHT to ruin YOUR credit report and scores + as mentioned, they do have some ethics obligations that a standard retail company isn't obligated to comply with...

Now to the point, If one of the A/A'd members could manage to get her/his case into Judge Dear's courtroom, we could get some long awaited results...

Related links:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-06-10/news/hounded-by-debt-sharks-brooklynites-turn-to-an-unlikely-rescuer/

http://matzav.com/noach-dear-appointed-to-new-york-state-supreme-court

http://www.responsiblelending.org/tools-resources/headlines/Robo-Credit-Card-Suits-Menace-Banks.html

http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/177_20/robosigning-credit-card-suits-1046175-1.html?zkPrintable=true

http://www.americanbanker.com/issues/177_7/jpmorgan-chase-consumer-debt-collection-1045606-1.html?zkPrintable=1&nopagination=1

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 06, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
Shalom,
I never intended to post and don't plan on posting much...
I hope you change your mind.