Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1686881 times)

Offline Asher

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #1260 on: May 06, 2012, 09:19:41 PM »
I hope you change your mind.

Lol.. is my post that good?? :-*

Here you go... 2nd post = changed my mind :P

actually, after (re)thinking, i might wanna change my mind and start posting

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #1261 on: May 06, 2012, 09:22:50 PM »
Lol.. is my post that good?? :-*

Here you go... 2nd post = changed my mind :P

actually, after (re)thinking, i might wanna change my mind and start posting
Welcome!!

Nice post!!

Keep it up :)

Offline Jerseysteve

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:31 PM »
TOT -
Does anyone know the effect to your credit rating if Chase closes the accounts?
Someone who is nervous about getting shut is it worth for him to preempt Chase and close the account himself?
Someone who got closed and waits 60 days would he be able to open another Chase cc and not abuse it?

Offline mordy44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »
My friend had 3 cards closed, and took a significant hit on his credit score. Of course the exact numbers go by # of cards, utilization, average age etc. so the hit will differ substantially by person.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
the fact that is says on the report closed by issuer instead of the person is also not good IMHO though I doubt it affects the numerical score.

Offline mordy44

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 06, 2012, 10:59:48 PM »
the fact that is says on the report closed by issuer instead of the person is also not good IMHO though I doubt it affects the numerical score

Not sure if that's true. Like I said in my previous post: My friend took a significant hit to his credit score.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »
the fact that is says on the report closed by issuer instead of the person is also not good IMHO though I doubt it affects the numerical score.
yea but losing cards raises ur utilization % which will lower ur score

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »
Not sure if that's true. Like I said in my previous post: My friend took a significant hit to his credit score.
reread my post beofre you argue.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1268 on: May 07, 2012, 12:44:38 AM »
They CANNOT steal YOUR (legally) EARNED points, they have NO RIGHT to ruin YOUR credit report and scores + as mentioned, they do have some ethics obligations that a standard retail company isn't obligated to comply with...

Not to be rude, but that is just a bunch of conclusory allegations. You write "steal" which assumes your conclusion; you write "legally earned" which is nearly irrelevant to the question of T&C violations as I've mentioned before (even setting aside for the moment whether or not you contractually "earned" them); and you write "they have ethics obligations" that other businesses apparently don't have which, to be honest, leaves me scratching my head...

Do you have any evidence to support any of what you wrote?

Oh, and welcome!
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 07, 2012, 01:30:37 AM »

Oh, and welcome!

Trial by fire :)

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 07, 2012, 07:25:24 AM »
There is no doubt that closing several cards impacts your credit score. However Dan has pointed out in the past that he has cancelled many cards over the years and has only taken a slight hit and not for that long.
The question I was asking is - Is the fact that it states on your report closed by issuer is that a bigger red flag then if you just closed all those accounts yourself (which would obviously also effect your credit score)? Is it such a red flag that you should try to preempt Chase and close them yourself?

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
although it may be a red flag I would think it is a bit impulsive to just close down all your chase cards due to this risk. If you are that worried about being closed transfer out all your points though.

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:01 AM »
I was just wondering, besides for the points issue there's  the effect of all those account closures with "closed by issuer" on them. Basically Chase has now labeled you unworthy of credit and all other lenders can now see it. So if someone can prove that his credit was good prior to the a/a is there any sort of libel issue involved?

At the very least shouldn't chase give it's customers an ultimatum like amex?

Offline shidduch

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »
class actions are good for one class of people - lawyers. 

If you want to recover the value for your points either sue in small claims or in civil court if you had a lot of points.

Has anyone read on any of the other forums if people have filed against them in small claims yet.

Years ago with CyberRebate, many people sued amex (even though technically they werent responsible) and amex settled in full out of court.    I am hoping if enough people start suing chase, they will settle or risk tremendous negative press.

That is the key, chase is known for being SOBs, but if enough people come forward and sue then they will settle so that they dont get the negative press.  Once things hit the courts, that is it and it looks really bad for them.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1274 on: May 07, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »
I was just wondering, besides for the points issue there's  the effect of all those account closures with "closed by issuer" on them. Basically Chase has now labeled you unworthy of credit and all other lenders can now see it. So if someone can prove that his credit was good prior to the a/a is there any sort of libel issue involved?

No sarcasm: what's the libel? (Keep in mind truth is an absolute defense.)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #1275 on: May 07, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
@AJK from all your responses it sound to me like you don't think anyone has a chance fighting chase...

If you were shut down and lost a lot of points what would you do?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 07, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
@AJK from all your responses it sound to me like you don't think anyone has a chance fighting chase...

Well, that depends on what you hope to accomplish by "fighting Chase." But, yes, I don't believe people have a leg to stand on contractually (although I'd very much like to be proved wrong).

To be frank, though, I don't mean to give that impression, but IMHO it is better to think about things logically, instead of emotionally, to the extent you can. Running around yelling that Chase has "stolen" your points, and "illegally" ruined your credit is 1) not productive and 2) it's likely inaccurate.

If people feel like suing, by all means, sue -- be it in Supreme Court, small claims court, or even in the court of public opinion. I wish them only success. But they should do so armed with actual facts, not with the facts as they think they should be.

If you were shut down and lost a lot of points what would you do?

Ch'v.

But, fight like hell :P

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 07, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »
I think the onl real question is whether chase can confiscate someones points who didnt violate their T&C's. I understand according to their T&C's it is allowed but a court might not hold that chase can do that even though their T&C's say that they can.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 07, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
You're saying that the individual didn't violate their T&Cs. You don't think Chase can make a pretty compelling argument, be it based on credit risk or abusiveness, that the individual did violate the T&Cs?

Yes, that's what a court can decide, but if there is even a hint of non-Mother Theresa-like conduct, Chase has got you by the beitzim. Of course, if the individual did absolutely nothing wrong, is completely fault-less, then he or she should absolutely fight tooth and nail to be reinstated. (But, be honest with yourself: how many people can be described like that?)

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »
You're saying that the individual didn't violate their T&Cs. You don't think Chase can make a pretty compelling argument, be it based on credit risk or abusiveness, that the individual did violate the T&Cs?

Yes, that's what a court can decide, but if there is even a hint of non-Mother Theresa-like conduct, Chase has got you by the beitzim. Of course, if the individual did absolutely nothing wrong, is completely fault-less, then he or she should absolutely fight tooth and nail to be reinstated. (But, be honest with yourself: how many people can be described like that?)
Those that were told they were shut due to credit risk what have they done wrong. Yes they may have applied for a lot of cards but then chase shouldn't have approved them in the first place.