Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1700317 times)

Offline justmeha

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #7180 on: June 10, 2020, 05:32:34 PM »
Haven't been following this thread much...

I would like to take advantage of the bonus nights on the World of Hyatt CC for this month and I have a lot of spend that I need to do (no MS, never have done any MS with Chase). How big is the risk of A/A if I swipe, pay, swipe, pay, etc. all within the month? Meaning I will end up having spent well more than my CL for this month.

I have been with Chase for many years now and am CPC. Also, I have the cash in my chase checking account to cover the purchases.

TIA
my suggestion would be to move over your cl from other cards

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7181 on: June 17, 2020, 04:16:43 AM »
I was shutdown by Chase a few days ago, all personal and business cards at my address were closed.
Only trigger i could think of was paying from other ppl's bank account.
I also heard of several other ppl (in and around Lakewood) who were shutdown at the same time.

Looks like another wave

So do you think after paying from other's ppls account chase started researching more and then decide to close the accounts?
How long have you been using other people's account to pay? and were the amounts huge

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7182 on: June 17, 2020, 06:20:41 AM »
So do you think after paying from other's ppls account chase started researching more and then decide to close the accounts?
How long have you been using other people's account to pay? and were the amounts huge
As I said later, Chase claims the reason for shutdown was the ending of a "banking relationship", which could have been a bank account that I wasn't even associated with anymore.
I had been using third party accounts for several years but the amounts were not huge. Tough I did carry a balance on a business card.

Offline israel11219

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7183 on: June 17, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »
1 of my Chase  Acct. got closed because of 12 months no activity.. they claim that they have send me a letter which i never received.. is there any way to get it re-opened?

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: June 21, 2020, 02:11:00 AM »
1 of my Chase  Acct. got closed because of 12 months no activity.. they claim that they have send me a letter which i never received.. is there any way to get it re-opened?

Tell them you really want the card, worked for me with barclays

Online Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #7185 on: July 06, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »
Friends Bonvoy Boundless card suddenly was declined. He sees nothing on his online login that should indicate that its closed. He called Chase, they all say they see that its closed but they have no idea why and they keep transferring him. He spoke to 5 reps, no one was able to help him. No suspicious activity.
Is this a shutdown?

Offline yomo

• View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: July 10, 2020, 01:36:06 AM »
I was completely shut down 7.5 years ago. Never tried getting back in since I heard if you wait 7+ years then your file falls from the system and you're unblacklisted and can then signup again. Is this true and does anyone have any firs hand experience?
TIA!

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #7187 on: July 10, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
I was completely shut down 7.5 years ago. Never tried getting back in since I heard if you wait 7+ years then your file falls from the system and you're unblacklisted and can then signup again. Is this true and does anyone have any firs hand experience?
TIA!
I don't believe anyone knows but many have gotten back in way before 7 years.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #7188 on: July 24, 2020, 07:58:59 AM »
Chase wants to close my checking account. I believe the trigger was a third party check i just deposited.  I thought if its endorsed its ok.  Either way is it a waste of time to try and fight them? Or its a lost case
#TYH

Offline Samb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: July 26, 2020, 12:38:49 AM »
Chase wants to close my checking account. I believe the trigger was a third party check i just deposited.  I thought if its endorsed its ok.  Either way is it a waste of time to try and fight them? Or its a lost case
I know people who managed to get reinstated after calling Chase operation department 18002901316 and giving them a good explanation of why they deposited a third party check etc

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: July 28, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »
A friend of mine got a notice a month ago that his accounts will get closed.
Yesterday he got this letter that they made a mistake and his accounts will remain open.
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Online Joel

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
« Reply #7191 on: July 28, 2020, 11:21:31 PM »
A friend of mine got a notice a month ago that his accounts will get closed.
Yesterday he got this letter that they made a mistake and his accounts will remain open.
OWOW!
I hope my friend who was also shut down was also a mistake..

Friends Bonvoy Boundless card suddenly was declined. He sees nothing on his online login that should indicate that its closed. He called Chase, they all say they see that its closed but they have no idea why and they keep transferring him. He spoke to 5 reps, no one was able to help him. No suspicious activity.
Is this a shutdown?

Offline CtownBin

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: July 31, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »
So, yesterday I logged in to my Chase accounts and saw the dreaded "Your account is closed" message above all of my cards. I have 4 Freedoms, a Marriott Bold, and a Southwest. Checked my business account, sadly all cards closed there too. I have 3 Chase Ink Cash cards and 1 Ink Preferred. Thankfully my wife's accounts are fine for now (a bit ironic, since she's the one with a prior Chase A/A, in August 2013.) Also, I have both a consumer checking (opened 2012) and a business checking (opened 6 months ago) and both remain open as of now. Today I saw the letter notifying and explaining the shutdown in my chase.com account. It's a boilerplate letter, with 2 reasons given for the shutdown in my case:

a) "Too many requests for credit or reviews of credit"
b) "Accounts not used as intended"

As for my history- all 4 Freedoms have around $1,500 of spend each quarter at the 5x category with no other spend, and I use the Ink cards at Staples and Office Depot/Max- though only when they have the gift cards discount deals, I don't shop there besides that and I never come close to maxing out the $25k per year per card that earns the 5x on any one card- my highest is $20k on one of them with the year ending in a couple weeks (I have 3 Ink cash cards, so I have $75k total per year, and I spread them among all 3). I also put 5k spend on the Marriott card at Wal-mart in the past couple of weeks, due to the 6x grocery bonus offer going on now (my Wal-Mart Superstore counts as grocery for Chase).

As for new card applications- On 1/29/2020, I applied for the Ink Preferred, because I was in a Chase branch opening the business checking for the $500 bonus, and the banker said I've been pre-approved for the Ink Preferred with 80k bonus so I went for it. I also applied for the Southwest card a couple weeks later due to the 75k bonus. But besides those 2 cards about 6 months ago, I haven't applied for or opened any other card-from ANY BANK- since the end of 2018; in fact, I'm only 4/24 right now.

The truth is, I'm a bit surprised- I know shutdowns happen sometimes and it's good to be prepared, but it doesn't feel like I go harder than most people on a forum like this- in fact, I may even be one of the lightweights, at least recently. And there hasn't been a heavy wave of shutdowns recently, the kind that catches everyone like there used to be, so I'm a bit surprised I got caught. Two opened cards in the last 20 months doesn't seem like a lot, at all. And maxing out Freedoms plus a bit of Office supply spend on an Ink, well below their own cap, seems relatively standard for blog-readers, and people aren't getting shut down.

Anyone have any guidance on how I can possibly get re-opened? The right department to call, and the right things to say to make myself seem like not a risky customer? I of course never carry a balance and pay in full every month and will of course mention that, but if anyone else has gone through a shutdown and got re-opened recently, I would very much appreciate the guidance.

I have around 2 million UR points in total between all the accounts that I'd rather not have to figure out the best way to redeem right now, the letter says I have only 30 days or I lose them. Could I just move them to my wife's account, or would a sudden spike in her rewards balance put her at risk for shutdown? Hopefully I'll get re-opened and it won't come to that...

Thanks in advance!

Offline CtownBin

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: August 09, 2020, 12:27:41 AM »
Bump

So, yesterday I logged in to my Chase accounts and saw the dreaded "Your account is closed" message above all of my cards. I have 4 Freedoms, a Marriott Bold, and a Southwest. Checked my business account, sadly all cards closed there too. I have 3 Chase Ink Cash cards and 1 Ink Preferred. Thankfully my wife's accounts are fine for now (a bit ironic, since she's the one with a prior Chase A/A, in August 2013.) Also, I have both a consumer checking (opened 2012) and a business checking (opened 6 months ago) and both remain open as of now. Today I saw the letter notifying and explaining the shutdown in my chase.com account. It's a boilerplate letter, with 2 reasons given for the shutdown in my case:

a) "Too many requests for credit or reviews of credit"
b) "Accounts not used as intended"

As for my history- all 4 Freedoms have around $1,500 of spend each quarter at the 5x category with no other spend, and I use the Ink cards at Staples and Office Depot/Max- though only when they have the gift cards discount deals, I don't shop there besides that and I never come close to maxing out the $25k per year per card that earns the 5x on any one card- my highest is $20k on one of them with the year ending in a couple weeks (I have 3 Ink cash cards, so I have $75k total per year, and I spread them among all 3). I also put 5k spend on the Marriott card at Wal-mart in the past couple of weeks, due to the 6x grocery bonus offer going on now (my Wal-Mart Superstore counts as grocery for Chase).

As for new card applications- On 1/29/2020, I applied for the Ink Preferred, because I was in a Chase branch opening the business checking for the $500 bonus, and the banker said I've been pre-approved for the Ink Preferred with 80k bonus so I went for it. I also applied for the Southwest card a couple weeks later due to the 75k bonus. But besides those 2 cards about 6 months ago, I haven't applied for or opened any other card-from ANY BANK- since the end of 2018; in fact, I'm only 4/24 right now.

The truth is, I'm a bit surprised- I know shutdowns happen sometimes and it's good to be prepared, but it doesn't feel like I go harder than most people on a forum like this- in fact, I may even be one of the lightweights, at least recently. And there hasn't been a heavy wave of shutdowns recently, the kind that catches everyone like there used to be, so I'm a bit surprised I got caught. Two opened cards in the last 20 months doesn't seem like a lot, at all. And maxing out Freedoms plus a bit of Office supply spend on an Ink, well below their own cap, seems relatively standard for blog-readers, and people aren't getting shut down.

Anyone have any guidance on how I can possibly get re-opened? The right department to call, and the right things to say to make myself seem like not a risky customer? I of course never carry a balance and pay in full every month and will of course mention that, but if anyone else has gone through a shutdown and got re-opened recently, I would very much appreciate the guidance.

I have around 2 million UR points in total between all the accounts that I'd rather not have to figure out the best way to redeem right now, the letter says I have only 30 days or I lose them. Could I just move them to my wife's account, or would a sudden spike in her rewards balance put her at risk for shutdown? Hopefully I'll get re-opened and it won't come to that...

Thanks in advance!

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #7194 on: September 02, 2020, 02:17:56 AM »
Any issue giving someone a check from my account to pay off their credit card?
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Online Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: September 02, 2020, 06:38:42 AM »
Any issue giving someone a check from my account to pay off their credit card?
Yes.

Offline Abet rich

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz PC, National EE
« Reply #7196 on: September 02, 2020, 08:17:04 AM »
Yes.
Rather have them just pay their credit card directly with my account number? Or that’s an issue too?
Contact me at abereich19@gmail.com for all help and info.

Online Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: September 02, 2020, 09:59:14 AM »
Rather have them just pay their credit card directly with my account number? Or that’s an issue too?
Even worse lol

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: September 02, 2020, 08:47:32 PM »
have them deposit the check and pay from their account

Offline Samb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: September 02, 2020, 11:39:52 PM »
Even worse lol
Why worse? Someone told me that the credit card issuer don’t have the info of who owns the account with a ACH. obviously  don’t try it with Chase to Chase