Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1686971 times)

Offline Knak Yankel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite,
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #7320 on: August 31, 2022, 09:34:48 PM »
Is it better I should close the cards or should I wait for chase to close it? Will it have a different effect on the credit score?

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #7321 on: August 31, 2022, 10:02:05 PM »
Is it better I should close the cards or should I wait for chase to close it? Will it have a different effect on the credit score?
No effect on your score on how they are closed.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: September 01, 2022, 12:11:33 AM »
If checking/savings get closed it usually takes CC along with it. My guess is something to do with your checking.
that is why I don't bank with chase. Don't want to risk  my cc's

Offline yosefsv

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: October 28, 2022, 01:36:01 AM »
If someone got shutdown would there be a hard pull on a new app if he’s still blacklisted?
If it benefits even just one fellow DDFer, its worth posting it.

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: January 12, 2023, 08:39:36 AM »
I know not to deposit Buying Group checks at Chase. How about a check from a mileage broker?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: March 01, 2023, 08:46:37 PM »
Legit CPC A/H with significant assets banked with Chase got notice that they’re shutting down his (sox figure) checking and savings accounts effective in one month. Will be speaking to his CPC banker and (per this thread’s suggestion) speaking to executive services. Any other ideas for reopening?

Odd that they hadn’t mentioned anything about his investment account with six figures in there too, though considering they’re axing him he might move those investments elsewhere too.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: March 01, 2023, 09:01:53 PM »
Any funny business? I would go directly executive services as I found CPC has no power in this situation.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: March 01, 2023, 09:11:15 PM »
Any funny business? I would go directly executive services as I found CPC has no power in this situation.

The funny business if any way for with a family member (same last name) from over 5 years ago. And it wasn’t perk abuse or fraud, more like running a high-activity business out of a personal checking account (i.e. one of the more typical banking-risk a/as).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline NAT86

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: March 19, 2023, 02:46:57 PM »
Hi just got letter that after they are closing both business cc accounts that i just opened with 90k bonus bec of your association with a chase cc, deposit or investment account that was prev. closed. this is not true cause i never closed down an account anything i could do. tried calling them they said they can't see anything and have to write to them.
is it worth it to write to them? also does it affect my cc score if they close my business cc.
do they always make up reasons when they close you down. why can't they just say actually why the closed me down. any help would be appreciated thanks

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: March 19, 2023, 02:50:27 PM »
Hi just got letter that after they are closing both business cc accounts that i just opened with 90k bonus bec of your association with a chase cc, deposit or investment account that was prev. closed. this is not true cause i never closed down an account anything i could do. tried calling them they said they can't see anything and have to write to them.
is it worth it to write to them? also does it affect my cc score if they close my business cc.
do they always make up reasons when they close you down. why can't they just say actually why the closed me down. any help would be appreciated thanks
You should be grateful you are now in the soft-ban group. Now think outside the box.

Offline NAT86

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: March 19, 2023, 03:02:40 PM »
what does soft ban mean?? also is there a way to get these cc reopened or should i just give up?

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: April 24, 2023, 09:28:43 AM »
any DPs on paying chase credit card (in bank) with 3rd party checks?
whats the trigger? the amount or frequency?

Offline Yehuda_H

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: April 24, 2023, 11:51:46 AM »
I got a similar letter at work. I got a ticket from the Executive Office and hopefully we"ll be able to get something worked out. If not then I will move my accounts elsewhere.

Offline Abey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: April 30, 2023, 02:56:17 PM »
DP wife got shutdown letter no idea why only thing I can think of is FIL has judgment with chase from 10 + years ago, called exec office received a case number called again and pleaded the case and they promised to reopen accounts!

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: April 30, 2023, 11:56:33 PM »
@Yehuda_H @Abey please PM with how you got in touch with executive services.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #7335 on: May 09, 2023, 03:56:32 PM »
As stated above. In my case business accounts are still open, as well as one personal CC. There was no MS going on with any of the accounts. Haven't received any letter (yet).

...And here we are. 2.5 years later, logged into Chase.com and clicked on an account where I needed to review charges, and there it was, an annual fee refund. A quick look around showed that they now closed all business accounts too. Just like that, out of the blue, with now warning or reason given.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline NOOCH

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7336 on: May 12, 2023, 01:13:19 PM »
Hey All, Need advice,  I have Ink Business Unlimited and Ink Business Premier. 6 years ago i was A/A'd and all my accounts, personal and business closed.  I just got 4 cards approved in March.  as soon as i started spending they sent me a letter saying they are closing all account bc of association w/ closed account.  Now before they are closed i need to transfer out about 200k  UR points.

I dont have a sapphire card.  The only idea i can think of is to send the points to my wife, who does have a sapphire card.  IS that straight up asking for her to get A/A'd?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #7337 on: May 12, 2023, 01:17:29 PM »
Hey All, Need advice,  I have Ink Business Unlimited and Ink Business Premier. 6 years ago i was A/A'd and all my accounts, personal and business closed.  I just got 4 cards approved in March.  as soon as i started spending they sent me a letter saying they are closing all account bc of association w/ closed account.  Now before they are closed i need to transfer out about 200k  UR points.

I dont have a sapphire card.  The only idea i can think of is to send the points to my wife, who does have a sapphire card.  IS that straight up asking for her to get A/A'd?

Yeah personally I wouldn't risk that. I'd just transfer them out to Hyatt or an airline

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: May 13, 2023, 08:53:30 PM »
He can't bc he doesn't have a sapphire

You can maybe buy airline GC's?

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: May 13, 2023, 09:49:40 PM »
He can't bc he doesn't have a sapphire

You can maybe buy airline GC's?

Ah I see what you’re saying. Hard to keep all of the ink cards straight. I think I was thinking about the business preferred version which does allow for transfers.