Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1699973 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #2220 on: December 20, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »
One can also disagree that the sun sets in the west...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #2221 on: December 23, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
W'd!
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 23, 2012, 04:39:40 PM »

Offline mmermss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 23, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline Hiding

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 24, 2012, 12:57:31 PM »
If I cancel one spp card to approve another one, is it possible for the second one to get aa'd for transfers done on the first?

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 24, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
If I cancel one spp card to approve another one, is it possible for the second one to get aa'd for transfers done on the first?
No.  If transferring UR from card to another card in same account or to spouse you wont get AA'd

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #2226 on: December 24, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
No.  If transferring UR from card to another card in same account or to spouse you wont get AA'd

Re-read the question...

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 24, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Re-read the question...
Got it. Have no clue.  :)

Offline Reb Jo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 26, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
It looks like they're back to the old days of closing all account!

Today, while trying to purchase an item, the cashier told me my card didn't work. I thought nothing of it until i went online, and lo and behold, ALL MY CARDS WERE SHUT DOWN!!
I called in and was transferred to the lending dept. where the rep told me that they reviewed my credit report and due to my relatively short credit history and too many cards opened in said short history, they determined that im too big of a credit risk for them.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told that one would call me within the next two days.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my best argument would be to get my cards (or at least some of them) reinstated?

Thanks in advance!
Hertz President Circle!
And awesome!

Offline miles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Air Canada, UA PLT, ANA, Delta Platinum, AA, BA, Aerosvit, A/A by Chase closed all accounts
« Reply #2229 on: December 26, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »

Today, while trying to purchase an item, the cashier told me my card didn't work. I thought nothing of it until i went online, and lo and behold, ALL MY CARDS WERE SHUT DOWN!!
I called in and was transferred to the lending dept. where the rep told me that they reviewed my credit report and due to my relatively short credit history and too many cards opened in said short history, they determined that im too big of a credit risk for them.

I asked to speak to a manager and was told that one would call me within the next two days.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my best argument would be to get my cards (or at least some of them) reinstated?

Thanks in advance!

from the wiki
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit cad accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately,    its limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.

Offline Shmulyg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 27, 2012, 06:39:05 AM »
from the wiki
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit cad accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately,    its limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.

Two questions:

1. Isn't "credit related risk" referring to too much available credit line compared to your annual income, and not credit history length or cc openings? (i read most of this thread and that was my take on the matter)

2. Didn't they stop with the 'credit related risk' closures some 6 months ago?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:42:49 AM by Shmulyg »

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 27, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
Two questions:

1. Isn't "credit related risk" referring to too much available credit line compared to your annual income, and not credit history length or cc openings? (i read most of this thread and that was my take on the matter)

2. Didn't they stop with the 'credit related risk' closures some 6 months ago?
No & no.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: December 27, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »

How many cards in how short a history?

MTA: And was that from too many Chase cards or just too many cards in general?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:39:23 PM by gloreglabert »

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: December 27, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
Chase cards

Offline Reb Jo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: December 27, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
How many cards in how short a history?

MTA: And was that from too many Chase cards or just too many cards in general?

They said both, cause i got accepted to new cards on Friday, and i only on realized Sunday that it was closed, but they said it was closed from Friday. so i told them that if the problem is that i have too many cards by you, why did u accept me for new ones, and they said it was also cause they see i opened recently cards else where....
Hertz President Circle!
And awesome!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2235 on: December 27, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
They said both, cause i got accepted to new cards on Friday, and i only on realized Sunday that it was closed, but they said it was closed from Friday. so i told them that if the problem is that i have too many cards by you, why did u accept me for new ones, and they said it was also cause they see i opened recently cards else where....

Lending dept does not speak to the "credit-risk/risk-assessment/etc" dept.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Reb Jo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 27, 2012, 07:06:47 PM »

Thanks in advance!

So the manger KIM called me today, and asked if i had any further questions, more then what i was told yesterday.

I told her i did, and started off with the  whole surprise why i was close down, and if just on Friday i was accepted to more cards and now you are telling that i have too much available credit, with too little credit history then u should not have accepted me...

So she told me that she is not only bothered by my available credit by chase b, but also all my cards i have with other banks, and then she told that i have 60k of available credit and thats too much with such a small credit history, so i told her the only issues is that i only have 30k of available with the cards that i have open, but she said even that is too much, and she is counting cards that i closed and she was not interested to budge....

So does any one  have any experience with this, or any ideas of what i should do from here, would HUCA work etc.?

I would appreciate any help!!! 
Hertz President Circle!
And awesome!

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #2237 on: December 27, 2012, 08:12:13 PM »
So the manger KIM called me today, and asked if i had any further questions, more then what i was told yesterday.

I told her i did, and started off with the  whole surprise why i was close down, and if just on Friday i was accepted to more cards and now you are telling that i have too much available credit, with too little credit history then u should not have accepted me...

So she told me that she is not only bothered by my available credit by chase b, but also all my cards i have with other banks, and then she told that i have 60k of available credit and thats too much with such a small credit history, so i told her the only issues is that i only have 30k of available with the cards that i have open, but she said even that is too much, and she is counting cards that i closed and she was not interested to budge....

So does any one  have any experience with this, or any ideas of what i should do from here, would HUCA work etc.?

I would ask her what you can do to remedy the situation. And you have household income, maybe bring that up as well
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Reb Jo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 27, 2012, 08:19:50 PM »
I would ask her what you can do to remedy the situation. And you have household income, maybe bring that up as well

She told me that at this time there is nothing she can do, but i should read up to see how i could fix my credit....
and she is not allowed to give me credit help....

ANY ADVICE PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSEE!
Hertz President Circle!
And awesome!

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 27, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »

If you dont mind me asking how long is your credit history