Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1686694 times)

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #3280 on: October 04, 2013, 02:43:56 AM »
A) You should be proud of it if you are a Chusid.

B) By the way you write its so obvious that you grow up in a Chasidisha Mosed
take it from a bostener chasid woops sorry I meant hasid nu!!! I always forget srry :)

If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline yomo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: October 04, 2013, 02:58:04 AM »
Quote from: Mmendel on Yesterday at 11:28:35 pm
As it turns out they closed my brothers account as well. It is at the same address...
Could it be the fact that there are too many recent applications to one address?
Ouch..... this gets worse by the minutes.... guys we gotta do something here a petition... file a big law suit lots of people together... Its time for TD to come in to the CC world with nice reward partners.
+1

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: October 04, 2013, 03:15:14 AM »
What Happens to your chase mortgage if you get AA by chase?

If you have a mortgage with them then hopefully you're a profitable customer.
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #3283 on: October 04, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #3284 on: October 04, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
My wife has 2 chase cards  and got shut down
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3285 on: October 04, 2013, 02:19:04 PM »
My wife has 2 chase cards  and got shut down
Do anything wrong?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: October 04, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »
Not sure what the defenition of WRONG is when it comes to Chase this days.....
Sounds like the wife is a part of their package deal when they shutdown someone.
As a new rule, whoever is getting married while in the churning business leave your wife's maiden name... maybe this can help. besides if they go per the address.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:27:18 PM by ilherman »
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: October 04, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
Do anything wrong?
I think it's pretty clear that Chase is currently shutting lots of people down for nothing more than being unprofitable.  Maybe some people have done something more cut-and-dry 'wrong', but it's quite evident that Chase isn't restricting the crosshairs to those folks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3288 on: October 04, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
If they were just shutting down everyone who is unprofitable then how would FT/MP/DDF not be chock full of everyone getting shut down.
I think most people are just holding back the full details though I'm sure some people probably did nothing wrong per se.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: October 04, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
If they were just shutting down everyone who is unprofitable then how would FT/MP/DDF not be chock full of everyone getting shut down.
I think most people are just holding back the full details though I'm sure some people probably did nothing wrong per se.
I'm sure it's a heavily manual process, and there appear to be triggers that get you reviewed -- i.e., Chase gift cards and churning checking account bonuses seem to be two.  People who don't get flagged for those kind of triggers don't get reviewed, and thus don't get shut down.  I'm sure that if Chase had the manpower to actually review a greater portion of their customer base, there would be more shutdowns than are actually occurring now.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: October 04, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
Tons of FT/MP/DDF folk hit the Chase GC very hard.  And yet the vast majority survived.

Now that combined with churning checking accounts is something I'd believe would be enough.

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: October 04, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
Tons of FT/MP/DDF folk hit the Chase GC very hard.  And yet the vast majority survived.

Now that combined with churning checking accounts is something I'd believe would be enough.
Yes, based on what I've read, my best guess is that the checking account is the trigger for review, which coupled with the gift cards gets your CC's closed.  And a review of you gets your immediately family reviewed as well, which results in more shutdowns if they've done GCs too.

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: October 04, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
Agree  with Dan , most do not give "all" the details

No business wants to "dump" a customer , even if unprofitable , they hope and believe they can make that customer profitable -- but if a customer is trying to beat the rules , that changes everything - banks open cards with "trust" if you break your word or cheat a bank they will drop you like a hot potato

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: October 04, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »
Agree , most do not give "all" the details

No business wants to "dump" a customer , even if unprofitable , they hope and believe they can make that customer profitable -- but if a customer is trying to beat the rules , that changes everything - banks open cards with "trust" if you break your word or cheat a bank they will drop you like a hot potato
We're all trying to 'beat' the rules.  That doesn't mean breaking them or cheating the bank.  The bank writes the rules and I follow them.  It's their problem if they wrote them in such a way that they'll lose money when people take advantage of them...

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: October 04, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »
We're all trying to 'beat' the rules.  That doesn't mean breaking them or cheating the bank.  The bank writes the rules and I follow them.  It's their problem if they wrote them in such a way that they'll lose money when people take advantage of them...

and they have the right to close you down

Offline gloreglabert

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: October 04, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
and they have the right to close you down
Yep, that's why I'm not advocating suing them.  But it's still a jerk move to shut people down because you devised and advertised promotions that were trivially unprofitable (e.g., the checking account bonuses).   Rational people are going to act within the rules to maximize their own value...it's stupid to expect people not to.

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: October 04, 2013, 03:52:15 PM »
Do anything wrong?
We had a shared checking account so I guess there it goes .it took them a month for that but at the end they did it 
Any time frame when to check back with chase?

Offline yoss6400

• View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: October 04, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »
Agree  with Dan , most do not give "all" the details

My business was total legit no gift cards or ap or evan a cc just checking for like 20 years and was shut down for no reason

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: October 04, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
Yes, based on what I've read, my best guess is that the checking account is the trigger for review, which coupled with the gift cards gets your CC's closed.  And a review of you gets your immediately family reviewed as well, which results in more shutdowns if they've done GCs too.

I would bet the reviews start with the checking account, as I have 2 friends that were shot down, and none of them are in the credit card business.

But we still don't know the reason. I have a feeling it has to do with third party check deposits aka double endorsed.

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: October 04, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
Yep, that's why I'm not advocating suing them.  But it's still a jerk move to shut people down because you devised and advertised promotions that were trivially unprofitable (e.g., the checking account bonuses).   Rational people are going to act within the rules to maximize their own value...it's stupid to expect people not to.

If it is only about  opening a checking account with a bonus offer , that is not the reason , if buying a few g.c. that is not the reason if about applying for a few c.c. that is not the reason ---

but if u have 10 AU'S on cards like I have read about -- or if new with credit and suddenly you have 5 or more cards with a credit line way above what your  "maybe fictitious" income deserves   or if you have accumulated 300-400,000 UR in a short period of time( 300,000 points is $300k spending  for "normal" customers )and if all this is duplicated with a wife and maybe mom & pop -- it should be no surprise AA.
Some on Dans are  what I call 6month or 1 year wonders -- they push the envelope a little to far and are just to hungry and in the end --bye-bye VIA AA