Topic Wiki

Q: Hi, I searched all over the internet for an active link of the Chase American Airlines credit card and couldn't find one. How did you guys manage to get this card?
A: Ha ha... There's (currently) no co-branded Chase AA credit card, this thread is discussing 'Chase Adverse Action'. As a general rule, AA refers to 'American Airlines', while A/A refers to 'Adverse Action'.

Q: What does Chase A/A look like? Can I do something to prevent that from happening? And once I'm hit, is there anything I can do to get back in the game?
A: To better address all the questions and concerns, we'll divide it in three sections:

1) What Are The Triggers?
2) What Happens?
3) How To Get Back

What Are The Triggers?

Basically, there are two possibilities that might trigger a Chase A/A:
Credit Related Risk
-Opening too many new cards in a short period of time, (even from other banks, and even being added as an additional user is considered as opening a new account, even a spike in your total CL even from being  additional user has been a trigger for many people - Dec 2013);
-A sudden excessive use of your cards;
-Maxing out your available credit limit.
-Buying large amounts of Chase GC (most people didn't have problems but lately some people are getting shut down for this).
Of course, there is no general rule with these things, it mostly varies by your particular credit file and worthiness.

Perk Abuse
-Transferring Ultimate Rewards points to someone else's account other than your spouse or domestic partner;
 both, the sender and the recipient, are at risk of A/A.
-Abuse of the 5% cashback bonus on the AARP card.

What Happens?

Q: What does a Chase A/A look like? How do I know whether I was shut down or not?
A: If you can't access your online account on chase.com, this is not A/A.
    When you encounter such a thing it could be because 1) the website is undergoing maintenance - wait till the site is back up; 2) a sever error - try using
    different browser
; 3) you didn't log in to your account for a while - call the number on the back of your card; 4) a security concern (resulted by a large QuickPay
    transfer or similar - call the number on the back of your card.
    When you get hit by A/A, you'll see a message above your account "Your account is closed and no longer available for use. If you have a balance remaining on the account, please continue to
    make monthly payments by the due date."; your card will no longer work; and within 7 days you'll receive a letter in the mail notifying you of the closure and the reason to it.
Q: Do they close down all my cards or just one?
A: If your shutdown was a result of 'credit related risk', they usually close all your credit card accounts, while with 'perk abusers' they used to shut down all of your cards (April '12), but lately, it is limited to the accounts involved in the abuse.
Q: Do they shut down other accounts such as checking, savings or investment accounts?
A: Lately people are reporting getting their checking account closed when getting A/A'd.
Q: Once my card is closed, can I still access my points?
A: Again there's a difference whats the reason your account was closed. Ironically, if its because of 'credit risk', your points will be forfeited, (and that used to be the case with 'perk abusers' during the April '12 A/A wave), but if its because of 'perk abuse', you'll get a certain amount of time (from 2 to 90 days - as specified on your letter) to transfer or redeem your points.

How To Get Back

Q: Once one was shut down, is there any point of calling  customer service or any other department and try to convince them to reopen the closed accounts?
A: If your account was closed due to 'perk abuse' there is -almost- no way to convince them to reopen it (unless there was an error, and you really didn't commit any violations of the
     terms and conditions).
     But if your account was closed for credit related reasons, you might have luck by calling the executive dept. 1888-622-7547 and trying to explain them why it might've looked like your at risk of default, but in fact, there is nothing to worry about. But of course YMMV with this.
Q: Can I apply for a new credit card after my accounts were closed?
A: Yes. There are a multiple reports of people being approved for a new Chase card after waiting a few months and applying again. But some were not that lucky, and some had their new accounts closed a few days after approval.
« Last edited by Iz on March 22, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »

Poll

Have You Been A/A'ed?

Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received 1 Cent Per Point :(
10 (1.6%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down And Received Nothing For My Points >:(
62 (10%)
No (Bli Ayin Horah)
455 (73.4%)
I Was Shut Down But Was Able To Get Reopened After Appeal
24 (3.9%)
Yes, I've Been Shut Down But Was Able To Transfer Points To Miles
69 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 618

Author Topic: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)  (Read 1709633 times)

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
Re: Chase A/A Master Thread (Now With Poll)
« Reply #5160 on: September 08, 2014, 12:11:22 PM »
looks like ill give it a shot @ scc anyone has the address of chase to fill out ?
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: September 08, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
looks like ill give it a shot @ scc anyone has the address of chase to fill out ?
You can use any Chase branch.

Offline mawmaw

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: September 08, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
i did have success b"h  A lawyer did contact me 2 days before the court date ...
and ??

Offline mawmaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: September 08, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »

Offline cubicles

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: September 08, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

Offline mawmaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: September 08, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »
still in process
i guess you didn't and up going to court?

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: September 10, 2014, 09:01:34 AM »
Just applied for a chase card today and had to call in. Was put on told and they said can't aprooved me I have opened too many cards within the last 12 months in general and with chase and they are suspicious..... :-[ should I keep pushing or back off.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: September 10, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Just applied for a chase card today and had to call in. Was put on told and they said can't aprooved me I have opened too many cards within the last 12 months in general and with chase and they are suspicious..... :-[ should I keep pushing or back off.
Suspicious of what ?

Offline nobiggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: September 10, 2014, 09:07:53 AM »
Suspicious of what ?

I don't know for sure she didn't say(I would assume 20 cards opened in last 12 months). I asked to shift CL she said no. And I was a bit nervous and wanted to get off the phone since she was asking a ton of questions about my revenue and I was making up 6 figure digits......
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:26:27 AM by nobiggy »

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48:46 AM »
report on FT of a man with 23 plus yrs relationship with chase and got all his cards and checking shut down. He says he hardly has done any MS and says he has very high income and never need for MS. He says he thinks 3k deposit of MOto his checking and some ACH  transfers from other account is what triggered the shut down.
so they have  increased shut down for " many accounts opened in short time" transfers of money to chase checking from other account" MO deposits" abnormal  large purchases to earn more point"
 becareful

Offline nobiggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: September 10, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »
report on FT of a man with 23 plus yrs relationship with chase and got all his cards and checking shut down. He says he hardly has done any MS and says he has very high income and never need for MS. He says he thinks 3k deposit of MOto his checking and some ACH  transfers from other account is what triggered the shut down.
so they have  increased shut down for " many accounts opened in short time" transfers of money to chase checking from other account" MO deposits" abnormal  large purchases to earn more point"
 becareful

You think I should let the application go , call up to cancel the application, push it ?
I've only been at the game for a yr.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: September 10, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »
You think I should let the application go , call up to cancel the application, push it ?
I've only been at the game for a yr.
if your apps with chase is more than 1 or 2 in last 6 months. I wouldn't apply again with them for 9 to 12 months.  Those risk assessment people are different from those approving your applications and careless about your approval success.

Offline nobiggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: September 10, 2014, 01:07:56 PM »
Ok will do. But what about the current one what should I do.

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: September 10, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
Ok will do. But what about the current one what should I do.
don't be afraid with current one

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: September 10, 2014, 11:51:20 PM »
Recently seeing a lot more written about Chase closing people down. I've had a checking account with Chase for over 10 years, but am definitely contemplating shutting it down, as it seems to often be a trigger for them to look into shutting down Chase credit cards as well. Thoughts? Also going to not sign up for Chase cards more than 2 times per year. Used to be so easy...And what about using small amounts of MS to hit the spend threshold. 9 months ago, signed up for 2 Chase Ink and 1 Chase Sapphire, used Bluebird to hit all spend, then barely spend anything. No issues. Transferred most UR out right away out of fear, now holding onto 90K which I will transfer out within the week, after everything being reported on.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5175 on: September 11, 2014, 12:32:17 AM »
Recently seeing a lot more written about Chase closing people down. I've had a checking account with Chase for over 10 years, but am definitely contemplating shutting it down, as it seems to often be a trigger for them to look into shutting down Chase credit cards as well. Thoughts? Also going to not sign up for Chase cards more than 2 times per year. Used to be so easy...And what about using small amounts of MS to hit the spend threshold. 9 months ago, signed up for 2 Chase Ink and 1 Chase Sapphire, used Bluebird to hit all spend, then barely spend anything. No issues. Transferred most UR out right away out of fear, now holding onto 90K which I will transfer out within the week, after everything being reported on.
If you're not doing anything wrong why would having a checking account trigger anything ?

Offline peace123

• View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: September 11, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »
if your apps with chase is more than 1 or 2 in last 6 months. I wouldn't apply again with them for 9 to 12 months.  Those risk assessment people are different from those approving your applications and careless about your approval success. their only job is cancel one or all accounts if they find something fishy.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #5177 on: September 11, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »
If you're not doing anything wrong why would having a checking account trigger anything ?
And if you are doing something "wrong", why not just open a checking account at a different bank and do it there?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline nobiggy

• View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: September 14, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »
Is it safe to have a 3rd party write a check to chase and I use it to pay my bill? what about other banks?

Offline yoshapman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: September 15, 2014, 10:25:51 PM »
Is anyone not doing 3bms with Chase anymore due to these shutdowns?