Topic Wiki

My view on a statement like Rav Miller's is that whatever happens we are supposed to take a lesson out of it. When a tragedy happens and we say it may have been because of this that or the other thing it is simply to take a lesson from it for personal improvement. It is not to lay fault.
« Last edited by ltttc on January 09, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »

Author Topic: Its Open Season on Jews  (Read 203775 times)

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Its Open Season on Jews
« Reply #400 on: January 02, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »
So why is that? I've never had any problems with black people anywhere else.
I would't say it's black specific, but we get some hate here in Chicago too. I think it stems from a larger more dominant presence in a particular area. Firstly, when you have a large group of any race, religion, ethnicity, or any people for that matter (in this case Jews) you have bad apples in the bunch. The higher the volume, the more bad apples. When someone is looking for the bad, it's a lot easier to find bad apples in areas with larger populations. In addition, areas that are heavily populated with Jews, have more influence or change it imposes (not necessarily negative) on the non Jewish people in that area. Change often brings resentment when it's not benefiting the individuals it's effecting.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 02, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »
Never had any problems, though I only go downtown for sports games.
Have you?
Nothing physical, but had agroup of black Israelites yelling at my family in front of terminal tower on a Sunday afternoon a couple years ago. It was enough to make me uncomfortable enough not to go back to downtown since then.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #402 on: January 02, 2020, 02:20:38 PM »
I would't say it's black specific, but we get some hate here in Chicago too. I think it stems from a larger more dominant presence in a particular area. Firstly, when you have a large group of any race, religion, ethnicity, or any people for that matter (in this case Jews) you have bad apples in the bunch. The higher the volume, the more bad apples. When someone is looking for the bad, it's a lot easier to find bad apples in areas with larger populations. In addition, areas that are heavily populated with Jews, have more influence or change it imposes (not necessarily negative) on the non Jewish people in that area. Change often brings resentment when it's not benefiting the individuals it's effecting.
No he is not my ghost writer.  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #403 on: January 02, 2020, 02:21:48 PM »
Nothing physical, but had agroup of black Israelites yelling at my family in front of terminal tower on a Sunday afternoon a couple years ago. It was enough to make me uncomfortable enough not to go back to downtown since then.
Interesting. Been here 35 years and haven't had an encounter like that.
In general, I find black people in CLE are friendlier than Jews in NYC in the midwest vs NYC sort of way. They say hi and smile when you walk past them, whereas in NYC a stranger looks at you like you're nuts if you do that.

As NYC folks have moved to CLE en masse of late, I try to do my part to get them to say good shabbos as we walk past each other :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:24:49 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 02, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »
Interesting. Been here 35 years and haven't had an encounter like that.
I would say you need to get out more but that would not be true.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
I would say you need to get out more but that would not be true.
I'm not taking strolls in the hood if that's what you're suggesting.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #406 on: January 02, 2020, 02:23:57 PM »
CLE's east side is nearly all black or Jewish, and I haven't heard of any race issues or attacks on the 100,000 Jews clustered here.
But people are much friendlier to each other in CLE than in NYC.

Are we really saying the difference is housing scarcity?

That's just one part/symptom.

As I said:
The problem is that EVERYONE feels abandoned by the law. But some (many?) tend to think that other groups are to blame (or that they get better treatment, or are unfairly let off the hook). Then some get violent towards individuals that belong to the group they feel gets said better treatment (did anyone say class envy?).

And in NYC, where we are constantly trampled upon by the city, there are plenty of reasons to feel deprived.

BUT I wouldn't say that

The root of the problem is with those that are committing these attacks not the victims.

as those committing the attacks are just the last link in the chain. The ROOT of the problems is the hate mongers/politicians/activists that thrive on envy and conflict. Al Sharpton, AOC, etc. etc. (just to mention those who do it in a less veiled manner than others), along with lack of proper G-d fearing education.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #407 on: January 02, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
Maybe it has the same roots as the Jews who are racists?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2020, 02:25:26 PM »
THen they will find other excuses. I have experienced this in areas where there were none of the mentioned issues at all.
I'm not sure how this responds to my post. Regardless of the scenario, the root of the problem develops from reality or a warped perception of it. Most hate isn't pure hate, it's justified by some sort of injustice, be it, we used to enslave them, or we ruin their communities, or we are dirty people, or we control the weather, or we run the big banks. True or not true is irreverent, if you sat down every anti Semite, they'd all likely have a (often illogical) reason behind it (a justification in their mind) and not just say that they hate for the sake of hate.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2020, 02:28:02 PM »
Sometimes itmight have to do with finding bad apples, but very often ime, there is minimal interaction between the two groups. It's pure class envy. It is uncommon for wealthy nonjews to live together with/very close to poor blacks. Wealthy and middle class Jews on the other hand, very often live near poor blacks. You could have a frum family with the same 150k income driving 2 brand new leases as a nonjewish family in a suburban area, but since the frum family lives in a neighborhood with poor blacks, the blacks see them as "rich Jews" who must be taking advantage of them. This type of ideology is advanced by people like sharpton (and the media in general on a less specific basis)

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
I'm not taking strolls in the hood if that's what you're suggesting.
After working 20+ years in the hood I don't go there anymore. But remember I would know nothing about being spat on, things thrown at you or being shot. What is that saying about walk a mile in my shoes?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 02, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »
And in NYC, where we are constantly trampled upon by the city, there are plenty of reasons to feel deprived.
And yet somehow no hate directed at the hipsters, Chinese or any other groups ? Let’s not forget blacks have taken over entire neighborhoods too. No hate directed at them either

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 02, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
Sometimes itmight have to do with finding bad apples, but very often ime, there is minimal interaction between the two groups. It's pure class envy. It is uncommon for wealthy nonjews to live together with/very close to poor blacks. Wealthy and middle class Jews on the other hand, very often live near poor blacks. You could have a frum family with the same 150k income driving 2 brand new leases as a nonjewish family in a suburban area, but since the frum family lives in a neighborhood with poor blacks, the blacks see them as "rich Jews" who must be taking advantage of them. This type of ideology is advanced by people like sharpton (and the media in general on a less specific basis)
Funny how the D candidates don't see (read: ignore) the hate and results of stoking that class warfare.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 02, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »
Group of thugs surround you ready to pummel you. Play it out for us how you would prove them wrong.
I'm not talking on an individual basis, I'm talking about a movement or the like. I don't have the answers, but understanding the problem (in this case the hate) is often the first step in solving it, if you believe it is solvable.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 02, 2020, 02:32:10 PM »
I'm not talking on an individual basis, I'm talking about a movement or the like. I don't have the answers, but understanding the problem (in this case the hate) is often the first step in solving it, if you believe it is solvable.
Its been tried. Big waste of time

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 02, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »
The root of the problem is with those that are committing these attacks not the victims.
Well if that's what you're talking about, the biggest issue is probably the lack of involved fathers. a problem greatly encouraged by Democrat welfare state policies.
Now add to that pieces of sh*t like Farrakhan & Sharpton and you end up with kids who think it's ok to attack a random Jew on the street.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 02, 2020, 02:35:20 PM »
100%. I was just adding a point about when there may be a real problem on the victims side (still most definitely a justification). I'd say most of the time it is as you say, which can be chalked up to ignorance. The less you know, the more blanks you fill in on your own. I bet if you ask many Jews about particulars of black lifestyles, many wouldn't know much, but we fill in those blanks differently than they do.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 02, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »
Its been tried. Big waste of time
I believe it.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 02, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
Well if that's what you're talking about, the biggest issue is probably the lack of involved fathers. a problem greatly encouraged by Democrat welfare state policies.
Now add to that pieces of sh*t like Farrakhan & Sharpton and you end up with kids who think it's ok to attack a random Jew on the street.
I don't fully agree with you but now you understand what I am asking.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2020, 02:37:04 PM »
Funny, (not really) but inChicago we have the same issue, but it's a lot more isolated. May have to do with the size of our communities vs NY.