Topic Wiki

My view on a statement like Rav Miller's is that whatever happens we are supposed to take a lesson out of it. When a tragedy happens and we say it may have been because of this that or the other thing it is simply to take a lesson from it for personal improvement. It is not to lay fault.
« Last edited by ltttc on January 09, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »

Author Topic: Its Open Season on Jews  (Read 206865 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Its Open Season on Jews
« Reply #780 on: January 31, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
Maybe it correlates with the amount of embarrassing behavior going on during Yeshiva Week/midwinter vacation? ;)
This is what I was thinking...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #781 on: January 31, 2022, 09:39:23 AM »
Maybe it correlates with the amount of embarrassing behavior going on during Yeshiva Week/midwinter vacation? ;)
How would that affect Lakewood?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 31, 2022, 09:51:32 AM »
How would that affect Lakewood?

One of the comments on the snowplow post

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 31, 2022, 09:52:53 AM »

One of the comments on the snowplow post
What does that have to do with mid winter? Half the town isn't even here.

That is what all bigots do anyhow. It shows nothing.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #784 on: January 31, 2022, 09:59:39 AM »
This is what I was thinking...

Yeah, the neo Nazis in Orlando went out and bought all that Nazi paraphernalia and leaned Nazi salutes and slogans in a couple of days because of all the Jews came from NY and bought out all the Saturday cereal in Walmart.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 31, 2022, 10:06:32 AM »
Yeah, the neo Nazis in Orlando went out and bought all that Nazi paraphernalia and leaned Nazi salutes and slogans in a couple of days because of all the Jews came from NY and bought out all the Saturday cereal in Walmart.
Saturday cereal ALOL

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #786 on: January 31, 2022, 10:09:54 AM »
Lol, it's what I was thinking after flying on the Yeshiva Week Express. I didn't actually post it for this reason. But some people truly do act like wizards among muggles and it's cringeworthy every time.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #787 on: January 31, 2022, 10:33:15 AM »
Lol, it's what I was thinking after flying on the Yeshiva Week Express. I didn't actually post it for this reason. But some people truly do act like wizards among muggles and it's cringeworthy every time.

I truly get that. Flying El Al to TLV is enough to turn anyone into an antisemite. When you have a massive group of easily identifiable people, the cringeworthy behavior sticks out. But this is true of any culture, nationality, or race. On Reddit, for example, I've seen such comments about crazy behavior from Chinese, Japanese, American, Australian, and yes, Israeli tourists. For every guy standing up in the aisle just a mere 6 seconds after takeoff, there were about 463,321 other frum Yeshivah week vacationers behaving as normal please and thank you saying, apple pie eating Americans.

The next time you (royal) get embarrassed about the stench of tuna and egg salad sandwiches coming from seats 19B and E, think about the stereotyping you might have made against another group and if perhaps that was skewed by the representation you saw off that group.

That said, I don't think there's an uptick or anything unusual going on, just maybe Jews spread out more to see more of it, coinciding with a snowstorm. Just like the guys in Orlando didn't suddenly get ahold of Nazi uniforms and flags, do you think this is the first time that dude has covered innocent Jews in snow? I'm guessing it might be the first time he posted it to Facebook, or the first time people found his post on Facebook. He's probably done similar with rain puddles and the like.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 31, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
...there were about 463,321 other frum Yeshivah week vacationers behaving as normal...
+1. My yeshiva week flights weren't majority frum, but there was a very healthy representation of frum folks. The only bad behaviors I saw were from non-Jews (I'm talking about you, random family in front of me that was playing one of those guitar hero style games on their phone on full volume). There was a OTA group ticket day at Legoland and it must've been 75% Jews - I didn't see any bad behavior (except for some littering at the watersports show, and I'm not even sure they were Jewish - either way, I picked up after them just in case). When someone frum behaves badly, it hits home a little harder simply because we're worried about others seeing and judging the majority well behaved Jews because of it. It's not actually a good excuse for the one doing the judging.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 31, 2022, 11:38:25 AM »
I truly get that. Flying El Al to TLV is enough to turn anyone into an antisemite. When you have a massive group of easily identifiable people, the cringeworthy behavior sticks out. But this is true of any culture, nationality, or race. On Reddit, for example, I've seen such comments about crazy behavior from Chinese, Japanese, American, Australian, and yes, Israeli tourists. For every guy standing up in the aisle just a mere 6 seconds after takeoff, there were about 463,321 other frum Yeshivah week vacationers behaving as normal please and thank you saying, apple pie eating Americans.

The next time you (royal) get embarrassed about the stench of tuna and egg salad sandwiches coming from seats 19B and E, think about the stereotyping you might have made against another group and if perhaps that was skewed by the representation you saw off that group.

That said, I don't think there's an uptick or anything unusual going on, just maybe Jews spread out more to see more of it, coinciding with a snowstorm. Just like the guys in Orlando didn't suddenly get ahold of Nazi uniforms and flags, do you think this is the first time that dude has covered innocent Jews in snow? I'm guessing it might be the first time he posted it to Facebook, or the first time people found his post on Facebook. He's probably done similar with rain puddles and the like.

Another thing to add is that the pandemic and economic/political issues in the US, compounding on top of the issues festering from before that cause mass-shootings, mental illness, depression, and the other potential ills of life/golus, foster an environment where such latent hate, xenophobia, othering, or even just people asserting themselves boil over.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 31, 2022, 08:51:50 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/entertainment/whoopi-goldberg-the-view-holocaust-race-cec/index.html

I will be shocked if she suffers any consequences for this. Maybe a suspension for a couple of weeks.

Also not sure what credibility the ADL has to criticize her for this, given that based on their new definition of racism, she is right.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #791 on: January 31, 2022, 09:20:18 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/entertainment/whoopi-goldberg-the-view-holocaust-race-cec/index.html

I will be shocked if she suffers any consequences for this. Maybe a suspension for a couple of weeks.

Also not sure what credibility the ADL has to criticize her for this, given that based on their new definition of racism, she is right.

Consequences? Are you kidding? There will be an explanation of what she really meant and how she simply made a bad choice of words. It will be explained that it's right wing bad faith actors who deliberately misconstrued her words.

Having said that, she should not get suspended or anything of the sort. Ideally, the View should have someone on to explain what she said wrong, and then *she* should commit to sharing what she's learned.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #792 on: January 31, 2022, 10:17:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/WhoopiGoldberg/status/1488320164517101574

We good now. No one will ever know what difference it makes and how those sentiments lead to Jews getting beaten in Brooklyn.

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 31, 2022, 10:49:16 PM »

Having said that, she should not get suspended or anything of the sort. Ideally, the View should have someone on to explain what she said wrong, and then *she* should commit to sharing what she's learned.

She should get canceled, they try to cancel the right all the time, time to play by their rules

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 31, 2022, 11:05:06 PM »

In principle I agree with you, but we all know that's not going to happen.

The only way we get to that point is with mutually assured destruction, by enforcing on her the rule she would demand for people on the right.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #795 on: January 31, 2022, 11:13:44 PM »
In principle I agree with you, but we all know that's not going to happen.

The only way we get to that point is with mutually assured destruction, by enforcing on her the rule she would demand for people on the right.

Depends what the goal is. I'm not interested in the cultural war, I don't believe any victory on either side would help me or any Jewish American. I believe (perhaps naively) that if someone with her influence was able to learn a little about antisemitism and the role such rhetoric plays, she would be able to impact people and educate them. Canceling her would do nothing. Nick Canon is a bit of an example of this. Since his "cancelation" he's learned and said some interesting things, but his platform isn't what it used to be and the folks who could stand to hear it are less likely to.

As it is, her apology was better than most. She didn't apologize "if anyone took offense", she said she was wrong and apologized for the hurt. But, she's learning from people who have a completely skewed understanding of things. As you said, according to Greenblatt, who she quotes in her apology, the Holocaust *wasn't* racist! What did she say wrong? so either way, no good will come from this.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 31, 2022, 11:31:58 PM »
Depends what the goal is.

What about not allowing antisemitism to be trivialized by becoming a cudgel that is only used against one side?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 31, 2022, 11:38:50 PM »
What about not allowing antisemitism to be trivialized by becoming a cudgel that is only used against one side?
By making it a cudgel used against everyone? What is the benefit of that?

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 01, 2022, 09:08:55 AM »
By making it a cudgel used against everyone?

No, by saying that the standard in this country is that comments like this (about any other group) get you fired, so to not uphold that standard is to minimize antisemitism.

An unevenly applied rule is worse than a bad rule.

Offline neveryou

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 01, 2022, 02:19:47 PM »
What gets me going is how the jews marched with mlk, this is the payback they give us