Topic Wiki

My view on a statement like Rav Miller's is that whatever happens we are supposed to take a lesson out of it. When a tragedy happens and we say it may have been because of this that or the other thing it is simply to take a lesson from it for personal improvement. It is not to lay fault.
« Last edited by ltttc on January 09, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »

Author Topic: Its Open Season on Jews  (Read 207378 times)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Its Open Season on Jews
« Reply #800 on: February 01, 2022, 02:47:07 PM »
What gets me going is how the jews marched with mlk, this is the payback they give us
Lol seriously?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 01, 2022, 02:57:25 PM »
What gets me going is how the jews marched with mlk, this is the payback they give us

Are those the same Jews?

/ducks

Seriously speaking though, the people perpetrating any of this have nothing to do with MLK or his vision.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 01, 2022, 10:01:20 PM »
Whoopi suspended for 2 weeks

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 01, 2022, 10:11:52 PM »
A woman in my neighborhood marched with MLK. As a public school teacher she has spoken to many groups of non-Jewish kids. She is appalled and frustrated to tears that black teens boo her down because she is Jewish. She is a truly sincere liberal who believes in equality for all; she just can't figure out why she is not welcomed with open arms!

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 01, 2022, 10:19:57 PM »
Whoopi suspended for 2 weeks

What do I win?

Maybe a suspension for a couple of weeks.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #805 on: February 01, 2022, 10:24:19 PM »
I'm actually shocked.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 01, 2022, 10:28:08 PM »
She finally has some time to go look at apartments in Canada. She’s been putting it off since Trump won.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 02, 2022, 07:58:14 AM »
Wait a minute. Jews are hated because they are D's?

Jews have been hated for being liberals, communists, capitalists, poor and dirty, rich, diseased, unaffected by plague, too militant, going like lambs to the slaughter, too insular and removed from society, too involved in the political scene, living off programs, living it up while the lower class struggles on programs, etc. etc.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 02, 2022, 08:10:13 AM »
Jews have been hated for being liberals, communists, capitalists, poor and dirty, rich, diseased, unaffected by plague, too militant, going like lambs to the slaughter, too insular and removed from society, too involved in the political scene, living off programs, living it up while the lower class struggles on programs, etc. etc.
Don't forget midwinter vacation. Apparently

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: February 02, 2022, 09:54:03 AM »

exactly this
whenever someone points out something and says this is why people hate the Jews this is what always comes to mind the exact opposite would cause the same hate

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 02, 2022, 12:58:28 PM »
I was at an anti-semitism rally after Tree of Life. I heard one of the speakers say something along these lines:

"There are those who say Anti-Semitism is coming from the left, and there are those who suggest that Anti-Semitism is coming from the right. I don't know about you, but if an anti-semite is standing in front of me with a sword, I don't really care which side he's swinging it from"

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 02, 2022, 02:15:41 PM »
I was at an anti-semitism rally after Tree of Life. I heard one of the speakers say something along these lines:

"There are those who say Anti-Semitism is coming from the left, and there are those who suggest that Anti-Semitism is coming from the right. I don't know about you, but if an anti-semite is standing in front of me with a sword, I don't really care which side he's swinging it from"

Anti-semitism definitely comes from both sides and always worth fighting against. However, I believe anti-semitism from the left is a much bigger threat, causes more damage, and is far more covered up/rationalized. Liberals have become the arbiters of what is considered anti-semitic and deserves coverage, to the point that it has become impossible to address anti-semitism properly. As long as this arrangement continues there will never be any meaningful change.
Visibly Jewish

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #813 on: February 02, 2022, 08:44:22 PM »
From ADL: Racism (interim definition): Racism occurs when individuals or institutions show more favorable evaluation or treatment of an individual or group based on race or ethnicity.

So is a Jew part of a race or ethnicity?

Also from ADL: Race: Refers to the categories into which society places individuals on the basis of physical characteristics (such as skin color, hair type, facial form and eye shape). Though many believe that race is determined by biology, it is now widely accepted that this classification system was in fact created for social and political reasons. There are actually more genetic and biological differences within the racial groups defined by society than between different groups.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 02, 2022, 09:03:38 PM »
From ADL: Racism (interim definition): Racism occurs when individuals or institutions show more favorable evaluation or treatment of an individual or group based on race or ethnicity.

Very interesting. They had recently changed their definition to say that racism can only be against "people of color." Seems like they changed it back.

Seems like something good came from the Whoopi Goldberg incident, that the ADL realized their mistake.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 02, 2022, 09:12:18 PM »
Very interesting. They had recently changed their definition to say that racism can only be against "people of color." Seems like they changed it back.

Seems like something good came from the Whoopi Goldberg incident, that the ADL realized their mistake.
So how can they jump on Whoopi when she agreed with them?

How about my first question? Being on a Jewish website for a few years and I am not even sure of the answer?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 09:17:58 PM by CountValentine »

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 02, 2022, 09:24:15 PM »

That was my point here -
Also not sure what credibility the ADL has to criticize her for this, given that based on their new definition of racism, she is right.

And probably why they changed their definition back.

How about my first question? Being on a Jewish website for a few years and I am not even sure of the answer?

It's complicated. Most Jews are genetically related, but it's not only a race/ethnicity. There are people who are not ethnically Jewish but are 100% Jewish and vice versa.

In the context of Whoopi's comments, it is relevant to note that the Nazis considered Jews a race, and murdered those who did not consider themselves Jewish based on the fact that they had "Jewish blood."

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 02, 2022, 09:24:17 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/sidtew/eli5_why_exactly_is_jewish_classified_as_both_a/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Not recommending any particular answer, just pointing out that it's a current hot topic on Reddit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 09:58:17 PM by skyguy918 »

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 02, 2022, 09:29:59 PM »
That was my point here -
And probably why they changed their definition back.

It's complicated. Most Jews are genetically related, but it's not only a race/ethnicity. There are people who are not ethnically Jewish but are 100% Jewish and vice versa.

In the context of Whoopi's comments, it is relevant to note that the Nazis considered Jews a race, and murdered those who did not consider themselves Jewish based on the fact that they had "Jewish blood."
This confusion is why IMHO she should be cut some slack. Let's remember her real name is not Glodberg, that is a name she chose.

I believe her apology was sincere. She is not a "H" denier. She has learned from this and hopefully others have also.

Now you all need to be on the same page. This can't be a situation where there are three answers to the same question.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #819 on: February 02, 2022, 09:46:32 PM »

Honestly, I don't think the Jews can answer it. Buy I don't think it matters.

Call it what you want, the Nazis dehumanized Jews, thought of them as less than, and killed them. Same thing the KKK did to black people. So even if Jews aren't a race, antisemites treat Jews differently as if they are a race.

Anti Jewish racism is often different to every other racism because where racists treat their victims as lies than, what often drives antisemites is that the Jews are too smart, too powerful, too controlling, etc.

The reason why it makes a difference when Whoopi says this kind of stuff is because the modern American talk makes this hierarchy of bigotry, and they never can find a place for the Jews, because Jews are privaleged, they have money. So you have black people in Brooklyn cursing out Jews for kicking blacks out of the neighborhood, and who knows what other sin, and sometimes it gets violent.

"But that's racist!" someone will cry, and then they'll say, nope, can't be racist because the Jews got money and they have it coming. In the streets of jersey City in the moments after Jews were killed for being Jews, this is what was being said.