Topic Wiki

My view on a statement like Rav Miller's is that whatever happens we are supposed to take a lesson out of it. When a tragedy happens and we say it may have been because of this that or the other thing it is simply to take a lesson from it for personal improvement. It is not to lay fault.
« Last edited by ltttc on January 09, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »

Author Topic: Its Open Season on Jews  (Read 199597 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Its Open Season on Jews
« Reply #360 on: January 02, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
Oh man, I have work to do, but I have about 10,000 words bursting forth in response. For now, please click "search"; search for: "anti-Semitism"; by user: "Yehuda57"
You are missing the point.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #361 on: January 02, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
You are missing the point.
No, I absolutely am not. There has been nothing civil about the "sparring", it's been virulently anti-semitic for DECADES at every level of local government and community discourse. And linking these decades-long issues which have been exacerbated by slanted and dehumanizing media coverage is beyond atrocious. There have been hundreds of attacks against Jews in the NY/NJ area in the past couple of years, and a handful have been in the areas with the so-called "civil sparring". The most recent Monsey attack was done by someone living HALF HOUR away, he was googling "Zionist Temples near me" not "East Ramapo school board politics." The Jersey City attack was committed by Black Supremacists, nothing to do with gentrification.

Jews are moving into Jersey City BECAUSE they are being gentrified out of Williamsburg.
Thousands of Jews have moved to East Flatbush, Upstate, East New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, etc. because they were gentrified OUT of Crown Heights.

When was the last time you heard of a Jewish guy attacking a typewriter using kombucha sipping yoga pants sipping, New Yorker bag toting mustached hipster because a one-bedroom apartment costs $2,000 to rent? Or because the white newcomers fought to have separate swimming hours that had been going on for decades for local women stopped?

Imagine having an article a few days after the Charleston Church shooting saying, "Dylan Roof's comes after civic sparring about confederate flags and statues, talking about how white residents are upset that the blacks are ruining their way of life by *buying houses*.

I'm so freaking tired of this.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 02, 2020, 12:21:56 PM »
No, I absolutely am not.
You sure did.
I was showing how someone (most likely anti-Semitic) can take one comment and spin it into something it is not. I have said until I am blue in the face you can't isolate these comments. You need to look at all of them at the same time.

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »
I believe Borat once said:

My Country has problem with Anti-Semitism - there's not enough

Lately I feel that there are those in the US Saying that.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 02, 2020, 12:54:56 PM »
Lately I feel that there are those in the US Saying that.
Not only should you feel that way you should believe it. This needs to be called out at every turn. Some individuals will never change but the majority of Americans are good people.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #366 on: January 02, 2020, 12:57:44 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 02, 2020, 12:59:57 PM »
A bunch of years ago, I got into an argument with some relatives of a friend of mine. For context, these relatives were a)politically liberal and b)Jewish but not religious. The argument was about an NY times article about the Ramapo school board elections. They asked me if I felt the article was biased and I said completely, and we then argued over it.

They couldn't understand why I thought that. I pointed out that the author used the phrase "Stuff the ballot boxes", which implies electoral malfeasance - I then asked them how is it stuffing the ballot box if you represent over 75% of the board's population? They then argued that since the Chasidim don't have kids in the district, they shouldn't be allowed to sit on the board - I asked them what about retirees who are on fixed incomes - if they make up a sizeable percentage of the community shouldn't they have a say in limiting their own taxes? They asked about how the school district is being shafted, I pointed out that when a full 2/3 of the kids in the district go to private schools, it increases the amount of bussing, meal assistance, and other Special Ed services that are given to private school students throughout the state.

The bottom line, not one of their arguments had a true leg to stand on.

Please don't get me wrong. There are most definitely bad Jews out there, who try to work the system - just as there are bad members of EVERY minority and ethnic group. One of the key tests I find my self doing is anytime someone says anything bad about the Jews, I replace the word Jewish with Black, or Latin, or Asian to see if it sounds just as racist.

If NBC reported on blacks taking over what was previously a white neighborhood, I would still find it to be just as offensive.

This is also goes both ways - I once got an e-mail from someone railing against "Black Hats" - I removed the word "Hat" and sent it back to him, and asked if he thought it was racist?

No, I absolutely am not. There has been nothing civil about the "sparring", it's been virulently anti-semitic for DECADES at every level of local government and community discourse. And linking these decades-long issues which have been exacerbated by slanted and dehumanizing media coverage is beyond atrocious. There have been hundreds of attacks against Jews in the NY/NJ area in the past couple of years, and a handful have been in the areas with the so-called "civil sparring". The most recent Monsey attack was done by someone living HALF HOUR away, he was googling "Zionist Temples near me" not "East Ramapo school board politics." The Jersey City attack was committed by Black Supremacists, nothing to do with gentrification.

Jews are moving into Jersey City BECAUSE they are being gentrified out of Williamsburg.
Thousands of Jews have moved to East Flatbush, Upstate, East New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, etc. because they were gentrified OUT of Crown Heights.

When was the last time you heard of a Jewish guy attacking a typewriter using kombucha sipping yoga pants sipping, New Yorker bag toting mustached hipster because a one-bedroom apartment costs $2,000 to rent? Or because the white newcomers fought to have separate swimming hours that had been going on for decades for local women stopped?

Imagine having an article a few days after the Charleston Church shooting saying, "Dylan Roof's comes after civic sparring about confederate flags and statues, talking about how white residents are upset that the blacks are ruining their way of life by *buying houses*.

I'm so freaking tired of this.

Offline Yonah

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 02, 2020, 01:01:07 PM »
Not only should you feel that way you should believe it. This needs to be called out at every turn. Some individuals will never change but the majority of Americans are good people.

Agreed. But understand that the damage caused by one motivated anti-semite is devastating.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 02, 2020, 01:09:37 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/boruchw/posts/10163217604945352

And this hate is enabled by those who refuse to identify the hate as unique within the black community.

Not because the white community is clean of haters. There are haters. There is no immunity in the white community. But for some reason the fists of white Jew haters and the nose of the visible Jew rarely if ever unite in contemporary times.
I think this aspect is more geographic than anything else. Outside of NYC I don't think this would apply.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 02, 2020, 01:14:48 PM »
I think this aspect is more geographic than anything else. Outside of NYC I don't think this would apply.
So do we try and figure out what motivates this hate in NYC? Can that be done without victim blaming or being called an anti-Semite?

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #371 on: January 02, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »
So do we try and figure out what motivates this hate in NYC? Can that be done without victim blaming or being called an anti-Semite?

Maybe it's the fact that blacks aren't such a minority in Brooklyn (are they a majority?).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 02, 2020, 01:45:37 PM »
So do we try and figure out what motivates this hate in NYC?
Antisemitism.

Can that be done without victim blaming or being called an anti-Semite?
If you have another explanation I'm open to hearing about it.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 02, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
Are you trying to imply that the hate attacks by blacks against Jews could be something other than anti-semitism ?
Like perhaps the jewish skirts are too short ? Yes Rabbi

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 02, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »
Anti-Semitism grows when the victims become secondary and the perpetrators become primary. If you’re only concerned about anti-Semitism from white supremacists but utterly blithe about Jews being beaten in the streets of one of the nation’s largest cities by suspects who clearly are not white supremacists, you’re part of the problem. And that goes for those who govern New York, from de Blasio to Cuomo.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/shapiro-when-anti-semitism-doesnt-matter

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: January 02, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »

Since when is this hate motivated by anything rational? It's a combination of learning to hate from their parents and teachers and ignorance. Out of all the white groups in America, the Jews were some of the greatest  supporters of the Black community in the Civil Rights era. What is that worth today? Zero.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 02, 2020, 01:56:03 PM »
Jersey City population- 270k+
Black population- 68k+
Hasidic population- between 60 & 80 families. Bad terrible Jews for kicking everyone out.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 02, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »
Antisemitism.
If you have another explanation I'm open to hearing about it.
Are you trying to imply that the hate attacks by blacks against Jews could be something other than anti-semitism ?
Like perhaps the jewish skirts are too short ? Yes Rabbi
What is motivating the hate toward Jews?

Racism (hate) against blacks.
inferior
stupid
dirty
dangerous
don't value human life

Do you understand what I am asking?

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 02, 2020, 01:59:33 PM »
What is motivating the hate toward Jews?

Racism (hate) against blacks.
inferior
stupid
dirty
dangerous
don't value human life

Do you understand what I am asking?
Why don’t you ask your black friends ? You’re thinking deeper into this than even the antisemites themselves are.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »
Antisemitism.
To be fair, there is a class warfare element involved as well, but I don't believe we'd be having all these random attacks on Jews without Antisemitism. (Are there random attacks on hipsters that we're just not hearing about?)