• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
POTYA
« on: December 30, 2019, 10:30:25 AM »
As usual, late to the party, but sharing my $0.02:

@deltastubs  - that was a great comment with you 100%

As far as security is concerned, as both a martial arts practitioner and shul security volunteer. I highly recommend both. Please don't misunderstand, I am not suggesting that every shul have 25 people on duty every shabbos that are trained in MMA and Carrying AR15's, what I am saying is, we should all be doing something.

- Shul entrances need to be limited, locked and monitored. I realize that this is much easier for some shuls than others, and in some situations than others, but we need to take reasonable steps to make sure that someone's watching the door. I daven at a small shul where I know 90% of the people who walk in the door shabbos morning, and among the 10% I don't recognize are guests who can be verified otherwise.

- I can't promise you that learning martial arts will help you fight off an attacker - especially considering that most of the attacks are surprises. (It's kind of hard to block a punch  to the back of your head that you didn't know was coming). But what if you are able to see it coming? Block a punch? Give a quick kick to the groin? I am willing to suggest that without even the slightest martial arts training you might not even try. Even just a little training will help you build the confidence you need to maybe swiftly hit back and get away.

- Every shul needs to build a rapport with their local police. The police need to know who you are and vice versa. Invite them to kiddush, show your appreciation for them (my shul bakes them cookies on 12/24 and delivers in to the local police, fire, and ems stations - again, something in a small town that works, but might not in NYC).

- I am not a gun control nut, nor do I have the 2nd amendment tattooed on my chest. I've met several armed Jews. Some of them are former or current Law Enforcement or Military, and I'm happy to daven with them knowing that they'd protect our shul in a shooter situation. Some of them are random people with permits and guns, who I worry will be more likely to accidentally shoot me than save me when push comes to shove.

As much as we try to sensationalize the good guy with gun narrative, my favorite tale of a thwarted terror attack was the one in Germany on Yom Kippur - where the attacker was not allowed in the building, and only managed to kill two people on the street. Yes, their deaths are tragic, but better 2 people than 20 or 30.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half