Author Topic: hidden city with delta using miles  (Read 1685 times)

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
hidden city with delta using miles
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:04:27 PM »
hi all,
we booked a delta flight to Milwaukee for a wedding, leaving this Thursday coming back Friday (17k miles x 2). I had meant to book the 7am flight on Friday, but only now resize that I booked the 9:48 flight, landing to LGA at 1pm Friday afternoon
I tried calling to have them change it to an earlier flight, but they want to charge me +40k miles (I'm going with my wife, so that would be 80k miles!) because that earlier flight is much more expensive now.

On google matrix, I found a delta flight leaving MKE with that 7am flight I wanted, going to Richmond with a  stopover in LGA for $240, or 19k miles if booked from delta.

Question: is it crazy to book with miles, when they see that I have a later flight leaving MKE? is it even more crazy to call again and ask them to make that change for me?
or should I pay the $240 out of pocket (or is it that also risky?)

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: hidden city with delta using miles
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 11:06:41 PM »
Book for 19K miles, and cancel the other flight.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »
hi all,
we booked a delta flight to Milwaukee for a wedding, leaving this Thursday coming back Friday (17k miles x 2). I had meant to book the 7am flight on Friday, but only now resize that I booked the 9:48 flight, landing to LGA at 1pm Friday afternoon
I tried calling to have them change it to an earlier flight, but they want to charge me +40k miles (I'm going with my wife, so that would be 80k miles!) because that earlier flight is much more expensive now.

On google matrix, I found a delta flight leaving MKE with that 7am flight I wanted, going to Richmond with a  stopover in LGA for $240, or 19k miles if booked from delta.

Question: is it crazy to book with miles, when they see that I have a later flight leaving MKE? is it even more crazy to call again and ask them to make that change for me?
or should I pay the $240 out of pocket (or is it that also risky?)
whens the flight for? wouldn't tell you to risk it, but if there's bad weather or the like you would be entitled to change the time for free, or before the flight they allow for $100 or so.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 01:53:13 AM »
Book for 19K miles, and cancel the other flight.

That makes sense.If you have two flights they could cancel you, so book the 19k flight(why would you call them?) And cancel the other.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
Just be careful that you don’t bring anything that will need checking. Not sure what equipment they’ll be using, but many times they will have everyone check their carryons (free) if it’s a small plane.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty