Author Topic: Moving Credit Line for Credit/Utilization Ratio  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Moving Credit Line for Credit/Utilization Ratio
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:39:15 PM »
I have balances on  some cards and am considering consolidating on 0% balance transfer offer from Chase Saphire. I credit/utilization ratio calculated in the aggregate or each card seperately? If seperately will Chase simply allow me to transfer credit from other card. My United Card has $13000 credit and I hardly use it. Is there any limit how much I can tranfer?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Credit Line for Credit/Utilization Ratio
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 09:48:19 AM »
Credit utilization % is calculated by the credit bureau not the bank it therefore makes the calculation aggregately

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »
I have balances on  some cards and am considering consolidating on 0% balance transfer offer from Chase Saphire. I credit/utilization ratio calculated in the aggregate or each card seperately? If seperately will Chase simply allow me to transfer credit from other card. My United Card has $13000 credit and I hardly use it. Is there any limit how much I can tranfer?

It seems it's calculated both ways depending on the situation*. Both the credit bureaus and banks calculate the utilization.
Chase should allow you to move over credit lines from one card to another. I've done it twice in the last half a year.

*my personal experience with AMEX and from reading around.

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:02 PM »
Utilization ratio is calculated individual and total by the CRA. Most likely it is the same way if the FI uses an internal scoring system.

Lately Chase has been very easy to move CL’s around. I would suggest using SM so you don’t have to talk to anyone or answer any question.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"