Topic Wiki

Shuls:
Kesher Israel (great minyan with breakfast after shachris)
Chabad
Degel Israel

Hotels Near Shuls:
IHG Only one in walking distance from KI, 36min
Days Inn 17min from Chabad
ABVI 25min from Chabad
SPG, None are walking distance:
Sheraton 7k/C&P (3 suites, corner rooms are very large, kids aren't allowed in the club lounge)

FP 4k
FP 3k/C&P

Kosher Food:
Central PA's Kosher Mart
The shul has a limited number of items for sale including packaged food items and dairy including chalav yisrael milk, yogurt and ice cream. Kosher meat and chicken are available at:
  • Weiss Markets, 1700A Fruitville Pike, Lancaster (717) 397-8127
  • Wegman’s, 2000 Crossings Blvd, Lancaster (off Harrisburg Pike)
Chalav Yisrael (Kreider Farms) milk is available at:
  • Giant Food Store (at Stone Mill Plaza), 1360 Columbia Ave., Lancaster
  • Weiss Markets (Kendig Square) 2600 Willow Street Pike, Willow St, PA

Attractions - Harrisburg: - Check Groupon for Deals
http://www.hersheypark.com/
https://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/en_us.html
https://www.laketobias.com/
http://indianechocaverns.com/
http://www.crayolaexperience.com/easton

Attractions - Lancaster: Check Groupon for Deals
Dutch Wonderland
Cherry Crest Farm
Crayola Factory
Kreider Farm Tour
Turkey Hill Factory

Go 'n Bananas https://gonbananas.com/
Verdant View Farm Tours
« Last edited by RSM on August 19, 2023, 10:07:44 PM »

Author Topic: Lancaster, PA (And Hershey Park) Master Thread  (Read 196143 times)

Offline keemster26

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Lancaster, PA (And Hershey Park) Master Thread
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
Anyone ever been to Lancaster over Shabbos? Is there a minyan?
Maybe with the Amish

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »
Can one find a minyan for shacris/mincha/maariv at this time of year? Tia

Eta; thanks for the wiki.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:16:33 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Live N Learn

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »
Can one find a minyan for shacris/mincha/maariv at this time of year? Tia

Eta; thanks for the wiki.

I'm not sure about Lancaster, but there's Kemp Mill Synagogue in Silver Spring, MD, hotels are usually cheaper there too, and it's not too far away.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Harrisburg, PA is near Hershey and has a Minyan.

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
Any way and is it worth it to book best western primier with points?

Offline yudamaan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2017, 12:48:55 AM »
Anyone know where I'd be able to get cheap tickets to Dutch Wonderland? Or is there a way I can buy using points?

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2017, 01:12:10 AM »
Anyone know where I'd be able to get cheap tickets to Dutch Wonderland? Or is there a way I can buy using points?
I know there's a "giant" in Pennsylvania that sells Hershey tickets. Not sure about Dutch though

Offline itreu001

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
We spent 2 days in the Hershey Area, and just wanted to give a mini TR.

We got to Hershey at 3pm on Sunday. We stayed at a motel (La Quinta) where we have stayed before. We went to Chocolate World, did the tour, (got free chocolate) and then against our better judgement paid for the 4d show (got more free chocolate afterwards), and the tasting. We have taken the kids to the 4D before, and its the same show. Its okay. Its not really worth the money. Then we did the chocolate tasting (all the chocolate they gave was kosher).  We were expecting to eat lots of chocolate. Instead its a 30 minute show about how to taste chocolate, and they give you 4 miniature pieces of chocolate to eat.  Complete waste of time and money.  The bonus was, that we got free parking, since Chocolate World parking was full, they just let us park for free in the regular lot which we stayed in the rest of the day.

Then we did the preview for Hershey Park. They let you in 2 1/2 hours before the park closes (If you stay at a Hershey resort they let you in 3 1/2 hours before) on the day before you go in to the park.

We were there from 730 to 10pm. We first went to the kosher stand, and had delicious food. We have been coming to Hershey for years, and the food has gotten better with each year. Its not cheap, (but not much more expensive than the non kosher food) but there is something for everyone, and it is good.and there are healthy options as well. You get to eat kosher food in the park like everyone else. Remember, if the few tables that the kosher stand has are full, you can use other tables at the other eateries up the hill.  The stand closes at 9pm. Its not a great idea to show up until the very end, as they will have little to no food left and will close, as the employees have worked there all day, and their day is over.

They no longer have the option that you can enter the park, eat and leave without park admission, but you can go to the front gate, and order food before 8pm, and it will be delivered to you. Remember the kosher stand has a strict deadline of 8pm for deliveries, so if you don't place your order before 8pm, you won't be able to get it.

We realized that it was supposed to pour the next day, so we made great use out of our time for the kids. Hershey park is for many reasons, but they always place kiddie rides next to "adult" rides, so when my older one went on the Super Dooper Looper, the younger ones went on kiddie rides.  We stayed until the park closed at 10pm.

Normally Chocolate World is open an hour after the Park closes (in this case Chocolate World closed at 11pm).  You can go to the free ride at this time, but there will be long lines for it, as the entire park empties out now.

The forecast was for rain, so we did not go to Hershey Park the next day. Instead we got free breakfast at La Quinta (waffle mix is OU), went swimming and went to the Turkey Hill Experience, in Columbia PA, which is about 45 minutes from Hershey.  It was packed. You MUST order tickets to the tasting before you get there, or it will be sold out. You can do it online from your smart phone.  It does not pay to go to the place unless you go to the tasting. 

There are two parts to the Turkey Hill Experience. The museum, and the Tasting session. Admission to the museum is about $10pp, with another $5pp for the tasting. You cannot go to the tasting without museum admission.

The kids loved this. There was cute exhibits about ice cream and ice tea. Some interactive stuff. But there is unlimited iced tea, and unlimited ice cream to eat (for free).  This is stuff that kids dreams are made of. All of the flavors were kosher.

The tasting is a 45 minute show in which you make your own ice cream, flavor, toppings, and candy to go in it.  Almost everything there is kosher, except for 3 toppings which are kept separate.   

I have to say, in all the years that we have been going to museums, and activities for kids, the Turkey Hill people were the most considerate of kosher. When they saw my kippa, they came over to me, and explained in detail what was kosher, how it was kosher, and what was not. They were nice, considerate, and wishing to help our family have a great time.  Each container they use there has what hashgacha it is. Each flavor and topping as well.
The kids and us, made our own ice cream to our design and ate it. By the end of the day we had eaten more ice cream than we have eaten in years. We spent about an hour an a half in the museum, and then another 45 minutes with the tasting. Our kids had an amazing day, even though Hershey park got washed out.  Important note, it was packed, because of the rain. Its an indoor place.

We then went back to the NYC area, and it took us about 3 hours with stops to get home.

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »
Great info, thanks! Did you come across anything at Turkey Hill that wasn't kosher? Their website says all of their products are OU...

Offline itreu001

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2017, 10:49:59 PM »
The only things that were not kosher were 3 add ons at the make your own ice cream/tasting. They were gummy bears, graham crackers, and actual marshmellows. But the marshmallow flavoring is kosher (probably because it probably doesn't contain any marshmallow). All the free ice cream they served was kosher along with all the free iced tea.

Once again, at the ice cream tasting I have never in my life been so impressed with the accommodations for kosher and how the employees are trained to deal with it.

Offline beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »
The only things that were not kosher were 3 add ons at the make your own ice cream/tasting. They were gummy bears, graham crackers, and actual marshmellows. But the marshmallow flavoring is kosher (probably because it probably doesn't contain any marshmallow). All the free ice cream they served was kosher along with all the free iced tea.

Once again, at the ice cream tasting I have never in my life been so impressed with the accommodations for kosher and how the employees are trained to deal with it.
Great, thanks! Going in two weeks...

Offline yudamaan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2017, 01:22:35 AM »
We spent 2 days in the Hershey Area, and just wanted to give a mini TR.

We got to Hershey at 3pm on Sunday. We stayed at a motel (La Quinta) where we have stayed before. We went to Chocolate World, did the tour, (got free chocolate) and then against our better judgement paid for the 4d show (got more free chocolate afterwards), and the tasting. We have taken the kids to the 4D before, and its the same show. Its okay. Its not really worth the money. Then we did the chocolate tasting (all the chocolate they gave was kosher).  We were expecting to eat lots of chocolate. Instead its a 30 minute show about how to taste chocolate, and they give you 4 miniature pieces of chocolate to eat.  Complete waste of time and money.  The bonus was, that we got free parking, since Chocolate World parking was full, they just let us park for free in the regular lot which we stayed in the rest of the day.

Then we did the preview for Hershey Park. They let you in 2 1/2 hours before the park closes (If you stay at a Hershey resort they let you in 3 1/2 hours before) on the day before you go in to the park.

We were there from 730 to 10pm. We first went to the kosher stand, and had delicious food. We have been coming to Hershey for years, and the food has gotten better with each year. Its not cheap, (but not much more expensive than the non kosher food) but there is something for everyone, and it is good.and there are healthy options as well. You get to eat kosher food in the park like everyone else. Remember, if the few tables that the kosher stand has are full, you can use other tables at the other eateries up the hill.  The stand closes at 9pm. Its not a great idea to show up until the very end, as they will have little to no food left and will close, as the employees have worked there all day, and their day is over.

They no longer have the option that you can enter the park, eat and leave without park admission, but you can go to the front gate, and order food before 8pm, and it will be delivered to you. Remember the kosher stand has a strict deadline of 8pm for deliveries, so if you don't place your order before 8pm, you won't be able to get it.

We realized that it was supposed to pour the next day, so we made great use out of our time for the kids. Hershey park is for many reasons, but they always place kiddie rides next to "adult" rides, so when my older one went on the Super Dooper Looper, the younger ones went on kiddie rides.  We stayed until the park closed at 10pm.

Normally Chocolate World is open an hour after the Park closes (in this case Chocolate World closed at 11pm).  You can go to the free ride at this time, but there will be long lines for it, as the entire park empties out now.

The forecast was for rain, so we did not go to Hershey Park the next day. Instead we got free breakfast at La Quinta (waffle mix is OU), went swimming and went to the Turkey Hill Experience, in Columbia PA, which is about 45 minutes from Hershey.  It was packed. You MUST order tickets to the tasting before you get there, or it will be sold out. You can do it online from your smart phone.  It does not pay to go to the place unless you go to the tasting. 

There are two parts to the Turkey Hill Experience. The museum, and the Tasting session. Admission to the museum is about $10pp, with another $5pp for the tasting. You cannot go to the tasting without museum admission.

The kids loved this. There was cute exhibits about ice cream and ice tea. Some interactive stuff. But there is unlimited iced tea, and unlimited ice cream to eat (for free).  This is stuff that kids dreams are made of. All of the flavors were kosher.

The tasting is a 45 minute show in which you make your own ice cream, flavor, toppings, and candy to go in it.  Almost everything there is kosher, except for 3 toppings which are kept separate.   

I have to say, in all the years that we have been going to museums, and activities for kids, the Turkey Hill people were the most considerate of kosher. When they saw my kippa, they came over to me, and explained in detail what was kosher, how it was kosher, and what was not. They were nice, considerate, and wishing to help our family have a great time.  Each container they use there has what hashgacha it is. Each flavor and topping as well.
The kids and us, made our own ice cream to our design and ate it. By the end of the day we had eaten more ice cream than we have eaten in years. We spent about an hour an a half in the museum, and then another 45 minutes with the tasting. Our kids had an amazing day, even though Hershey park got washed out.  Important note, it was packed, because of the rain. Its an indoor place.

We then went back to the NYC area, and it took us about 3 hours with stops to get home.
I disagree with that statement, we went there without doing the tasting tour and my kids had plenty of fun. Was very enjoyable! Otherwise very nice tr. thanks

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2017, 04:04:37 PM »
Where can I find a place near cherry crest farm, to have a picnic with my grill?

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2017, 05:26:59 PM »
Where can I find a place near cherry crest farm, to have a picnic with my grill?
I found paradise park around 5 minutes away.

Offline BZ12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »
What hotel/room would be most recommended in Lancaster for family with 5 kids?
Can be SPG

Offline beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:19 AM »
Can be SPG
Same question here, but with 2 kids and IHG...

Offline tuliadler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2017, 12:33:21 AM »
I've had a very good experience in the amish view inn and suites was there last year and going back next week not sure about their point affiliation

The suite has two rooms and a whirlpool in the master bedroom with miles of rolling corn fields right outside the window
Nice kitchenette and a full size fridge
Can be SPG
I've had a very good experience in the amish view inn and suites was there last year and going back next week not sure about their point affiliation

The suite has two rooms and a whirlpool in the master bedroom with miles of rolling corn fields right outside the window
Nice kitchenette and a full size fridgeI've had a very good experience in the amish view inn and suites was there last year and going back next week not sure about their point affiliation

Nice kitchenette and a full size fridge

Offline BZ12

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
Thanks
Any suggestions of what suite at amish inn would fit family with 5 kids?

And any DDF's familiar with Eden resort or doubletree, what room/suite is  most suitable for family with 5 kids?

Offline tuliadler

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 23, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »
Most suites are a master bedroom and one more room with a sofa bed

Offline BZ12

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 23, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
Probably will go with Eden resort sounds more accommodating for our situation.

Does anyone know about minyan next week Thursday/Friday in Lancaster?