Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 978262 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #1440 on: May 16, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »
Ugh. Please don't read his book.
That disgusting?

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 16, 2016, 07:12:17 PM »
I definitely don't think it was disgusting but I don't think it was a strong enough rebuttal to the Slifkin "rational Judaism" school of thought. The introduction though, in my opinion, is phenomenal.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: May 16, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »
I definitely don't think it was disgusting but I don't think it was a strong enough rebuttal to the Slifkin "rational Judaism" school of though. The introduction though, in my opinion, is phenomenal.
I agree. There was nothing in need of rebutting.
It's not like the rationalist non believers were actually looking for answers. They think they have it all figured out...

(Just btw, I've never read the book!)

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: May 16, 2016, 07:37:38 PM »
It's not like the rationalist non believers were actually looking for answers. They think they have it all figured out...

I disagree. We have to have an answer if we want our side of the coin to be understood by OUR OWN. But as far as answering them it would be ignored by the non-believeranyhie. But let's call a spade a spade. That was the intent and I don't think it was fulfilled. And

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: May 17, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
That disgusting?

No. Was just an embarrassing attempt to answer certain questions. It's cringe worthy. 

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 17, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »

Not sure why you refer to them as non believers. It's certainly Moitzi Shem Rah.

Not sure why having it all figured out is necessarily a bad thing. Haven't you also figured it all out, but have reached a differing conclusion?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 17, 2016, 11:51:44 PM »
Is it ok to be an IRS revenue agent, auditing small businesses in the central NJ area? I believe R Moshe has a teshuvah?..

Cuz I just submitted my application -couldn't help myself  when I saw the "times of service, 8am-430 pm Mon - Fri"...

Offline Centro

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 17, 2016, 11:56:29 PM »
Is it ok to be an IRS revenue agent, auditing small businesses in the central NJ area? I believe R Moshe has a teshuvah?..

Cuz I just submitted my application -couldn't help myself  when I saw the "times of service, 8am-430 pm Mon - Fri"...
R Moshe or Rav Wosner (don't remember which one) advises not to take this kind of job.
I'll check it out tomorrow bl"n.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:16 PM »

If you are accepted make sure to start a thread where you share the secrets!  :D

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: May 18, 2016, 12:05:49 AM »

We may have to kill you. Nothing personal, of course, just standard operating procedure.

(BTW, how much are you charging? )
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 18, 2016, 03:08:24 AM »

See Gemara BM Re Reb Elazar Ben Reb Shimon
That said,  I remember seeing a teshuva from Reb Moshe

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 18, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »
 May have been discussed already.... My wife bought jaffa oranges from Costco, do I have to be choshesh its from shmittah? If yes, could i return it or the money I get back will have kedushas shmittah? Also if i return it they will probably throw it out so is that muttar.

Offline Ydad

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 18, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »
May have been discussed already.... My wife bought jaffa oranges from Costco, do I have to be choshesh its from shmittah? If yes, could i return it or the money I get back will have kedushas shmittah? Also if i return it they will probably throw it out so is that muttar.
What about teruma and maaser? I was by a Rav's house recently when he realized he bought some jaffa grapefruits. He promptly took off maaser.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 19, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
What about teruma and maaser? I was by a Rav's house recently when he realized he bought some jaffa grapefruits. He promptly took off maaser.
+1. We've taken terumos u'maasros from Jaffa clementines (Costco). Don't know about shmitta though. Certainly an AYLOR situation.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #1454 on: May 19, 2016, 08:37:46 AM »
Is orlah a concern?  Or is it not an issue anymore when the fruit leaves Israel?

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: May 19, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »
Is orlah a concern?  Or is it not an issue anymore when the fruit leaves Israel?
Orlah remains orlah.

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #1456 on: May 19, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
Orlah remains orlah.
So why can you eat it?

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:35 AM »
from ou Halacha yomis last week in regards to this specific shaila
A. If one relies on the Heter Mechira, the clementines do not have a shmitah status and they can be eaten after separation of Terumah and Maaser.

If one does not rely on the Heter Mechira, there are possible concerns associated with buying fruit with shmitah status. If one did purchase the clementines, one must separate Terumah and Maaser, as noted in the previous Halacha Yomis. In addition, the fruit has kedushas shevi?is (the sanctity of shmitah). Fruit that has kedushas shevi?is may not be purchased with cash, but may be purchased by credit card. The fruit may not be wasted, and any leftovers, including the peel, must be collected and placed in a safe place until it rots. The fruit must be eaten in the normal manner (for example, since it is normal to eat clementines raw, they may not be cooked.) There is also a requirement of biur that will take place if any clementines remain in one?s possession on or after May 23rd (the fifteenth of Iyar). The mitzvah of biur will be discussed f

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: May 19, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
A. If one relies on the Heter Mechira, the clementines do not have a shmitah status and they can be eaten after separation of Terumah and Maaser.

If one does not rely on the Heter Mechira, there are possible concerns associated with buying fruit with shmitah status. If one did purchase the clementines, one must separate Terumah and Maaser, as noted in the previous Halacha Yomis. In addition, the fruit has kedushas shevi?is (the sanctity of shmitah). Fruit that has kedushas shevi?is may not be purchased with cash, but may be purchased by credit card. The fruit may not be wasted, and any leftovers, including the peel, must be collected and placed in a safe place until it rots. The fruit must be eaten in the normal manner (for example, since it is normal to eat clementines raw, they may not be cooked.) There is also a requirement of biur that will take place if any clementines remain in one?s possession on or after May 23rd (the fifteenth of Iyar). The mitzvah of biur will be discussed f
My LOR told me to rely on heter mechira lechumra (being that many gedolim held of it- reb shloima zalman Ztl included) which means that you take off terumos maasros with the nusach and leave it. To rot until zman biur. The coin can be thrown out because if it has kedushas shviis then it is meaningless and if not that is what you do with it.  Good luck!
Keep in mind that the Ramba"n holds that it is a mitzvas asei to eat peiros shviis. So you'll get your reward for doing all this  :)

Online incendia

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: May 19, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »

Why would using credit card be different than cash?

What about debit cards?

What about visa or amex giftcards?

what about store giftcards?

what about having a jewish friend buy it for you and paying him back?

what about having a non-jewish friend buy it for you and paying him back?