Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 945907 times)

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #3400 on: January 01, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »
Obviously, I'll ask my lor, just curious the exp. out there.

My cc was used fraudulently bestbuy.com a couple of times. Chase flagged the purchases, called me and shut the card. Long story short- some charges were removed, some stayed and were refunded and one wasn't fully refunded. I called to have it ref. and the cs rep flagged all the charges that were on the statement as fraudulent and double refunded them. Wasn't that many in the end, but I now have $114 credit on my card. Do I have to alert them to this?
Good chance they'll figure this out on their own

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #3401 on: January 03, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
are there any halachic implications to reading a book like this https://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Based-Reduction-Workbook-Harbinger-Self-Help/dp/1572247088
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: January 03, 2019, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: January 03, 2019, 11:13:05 PM »
are there any halachic implications to reading a book like this https://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Based-Reduction-Workbook-Harbinger-Self-Help/dp/1572247088
I don't know that book in particular, but MBSR, as well as several other forms of psychotherapy that include components of mindfulness, is completely devoid of spirituality/religion, and is appropriate for frum Jews. I use mindfulness with my patients, as do many other frum clinicians that I know.

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: January 04, 2019, 07:42:29 AM »
Thanks, so as long as it's only quoting buddhist ideas outside of spirituality/religion it should be ok? i also hope to get an halachic answer as opposed to what clinicians do
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: January 04, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »
Thanks, so as long as it's only quoting buddhist ideas outside of spirituality/religion it should be ok? i also hope to get an halachic answer as opposed to what clinicians do
If you are not comfortable with it, I recommend you reach out to your Rav for specific guidance (rather than getting it online...), but I have spoken with a number of rabbanim who are comfortable with it. To be clear, there are Buddhists origins of mindfulness, but the idea of mindfulness at this point is completely secularized and is used in therapy as non-judgemental present moment awareness and intention, something not dissimilar from kavana in some ways. The training in psychology and mindfulness that I have received was devoid of religion and Buddhism, and in fact, the guy who popularized mindfulness in the US, Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, was driven by the idea that he wanted to remove all religious and spiritual aspects from it. In his words, he says that saying that mindfulness meditation is Buddhist is like saying gravity is English because it was identified by Sir Isaac Newton. Again, I can see why this might potentially raise concern, so if you aren't comfortable with it, ask your LOR.

Offline Alexsei

• View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: January 04, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
If you are not comfortable with it, I recommend you reach out to your Rav for specific guidance (rather than getting it online...), but I have spoken with a number of rabbanim who are comfortable with it. To be clear, there are Buddhists origins of mindfulness, but the idea of mindfulness at this point is completely secularized and is used in therapy as non-judgemental present moment awareness and intention, something not dissimilar from kavana in some ways. The training in psychology and mindfulness that I have received was devoid of religion and Buddhism, and in fact, the guy who popularized mindfulness in the US, Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, was driven by the idea that he wanted to remove all religious and spiritual aspects from it. In his words, he says that saying that mindfulness meditation is Buddhist is like saying gravity is English because it was identified by Sir Isaac Newton. Again, I can see why this might potentially raise concern, so if you aren't comfortable with it, ask your LOR.
Thanks
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: January 04, 2019, 01:11:26 PM »
Good chance they'll figure this out on their own

More than a good chance - there will be some kind of claim filed with an insurer to reimburse the credit card company and they will pick this up.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3408 on: January 23, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »
This is in preparation to purim kattan coming up, but not as long as the miggilah.

I needed a new window motor which cranks the window up and down.
 So I went online to order the part and saw a 20% coupon for an order $100+. Placed the order and saw the delivery date for a week later.
I wanted to fix the broken window didn't have the patience to wait a week for the motor to arrive, so I called up autozone and ask when they can have that part delivered if I order today for an in store pickup? They said tom evening, so I placed the order for $98.99 plus tax.
    So this parts original cost is 98.99 but after the 20% coupon I saved $20.

I picked up the part from the store and then when the one I ordered online arrived 4-5 days later  I would return to the store,as why should I pay 20% more.

Now here's my Question.
Went into the store, with the motor and being that I had two in my account history I brought my receipt I got from the pickup and my email with the barcode for the in store pickup.
 But of course they ask me what's my phone number and I give to them and now she was able to see both orders, but they had no clue why there was 2 orders of the same part number.
   (my mistake was I should have used two different accounts with different phone numbers to avoid this whole thing, hence only one item in the account which automatically will be the one to be returned.)
 Back to the point, she clicked on one and saw the total for $79+ tax, now I knew it's the wrong one, as that's the one with the 20% off and I wanted to return it for the other one, at that point I said gamzu litovah, but it kept on asking for the managers password to process the return so had a minute to think what I can do. Spoke up and said it's weird that this is not the same total as the email for $102 after tax and your only refunding 80$.
 At that time she was already holding at the point where I had to sign and the money was returned, so she being unsure turned to the manager who said there was 2 parts with the same number but different totals and I started a return for the wrong item, what can I do? So one manager said it's to complicated to go back just return the $80 and re-ring him up for the new one (which im not sure how he was planning on doing that,as he probably had no clue what she was trying to do.)
 So now she listened and returned the old one for $80 and was sitting there unsure what to do now? How can she refund me the $20 difference? She was going to re-ring the product she will get a total for $120 and refund 120$. She called another manager(a real grumpy one, woke up on the wrong side of his bed.) and he said what's the problem? So she explained there was 2 parts with the same number and Bla Bla Bla.
 So he looks at her and says didn't you realize that it was the wrong one it wasn't what he paid for it, so obviously it had to be the other one? And she said yes it was a mistake and I wanted to go back but the other manager said to return and re-ring. (he also really didn't know what was flying) so he took the product scanned it and made sign for the return, hence I'm got back the first $80 and then the grumpy manager was all mad so he went and said I don't know,don't care. Just refunding you for this one and mumbled some garbage.

Can I halachacly keep the motor for free? Or do I need to pay the $80 for the motor? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: January 29, 2019, 01:43:14 PM »
What Bracha do u make on Sushi?

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: January 29, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
What Bracha do u make on Sushi?

From the OU:

Fore-Blessings: Mixtures with Rice

If grape leaves are stuffed with rice, say borei minei mezonot.

Say the fore-blessing borei minei mezonot over sushi, since the rice is primary. If you are eating the sushi for the salmon (or other ingredient) in the middle, say she’hakol, too (or whatever blessing is correct for that important ingredient).

Note: To say fore-blessings over sushi:

Say borei minei mezonot, then take a bite of rice (which may have nori, etc., on it).

Say she’hakol, then take a bite of fish (which may have rice, avocado, etc., stuck to it).

https://www.ou.org/torah/halacha/halacha-lmaaseh/food-fore-blessings-bracha-rishona-special-cases/

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #3412 on: January 30, 2019, 05:18:12 AM »
This is in preparation to purim kattan coming up, but not as long as the miggilah.

I needed a new window motor which cranks the window up and down.
 So I went online to order the part and saw a 20% coupon for an order $100+. Placed the order and saw the delivery date for a week later.
I wanted to fix the broken window didn't have the patience to wait a week for the motor to arrive, so I called up autozone and ask when they can have that part delivered if I order today for an in store pickup? They said tom evening, so I placed the order for $98.99 plus tax.
    So this parts original cost is 98.99 but after the 20% coupon I saved $20.

I picked up the part from the store and then when the one I ordered online arrived 4-5 days later  I would return to the store,as why should I pay 20% more.

Can I halachacly keep the motor for free? Or do I need to pay the $80 for the motor?

I am not a Rav or Posek, but I think in this case you should go back and pay the price of the in-store part.
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #3413 on: January 30, 2019, 05:19:26 AM »
Thanks
Alexsei - I heard there is a great book on Alternative Medicine from Rav Yisroel Belsky Zatzal. That would be your best source for Halacha in this area, if it discusses Mindfulness...
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Sammyonetwo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: February 01, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
I am not a Rav or Posek, but I think in this case you should go back and pay the price of the in-store part.

In no rav, but had a similar question and I was told your NOT aloud to return to a non Jew if he made a mistake.
Only if it will be a kiddish hashem, But you don’t have to.

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: February 01, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »
In no rav, but had a similar question and I was told your NOT aloud to return to a non Jew if he made a mistake.
Only if it will be a kiddish hashem, But you don’t have to.
*allowed

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #3416 on: February 02, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »
Simple question, are you allowed to move an item which is Muktza Machmas Chisaron Kis for any which reason with a shinui?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 02, 2019, 11:26:30 PM »
Only if it's not a Derech tiltul. Meaning not just turning your hand around and pushing it. See Machtzitz Hashekel regarding the two seemingly contradictory statements of the Rosh.

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #3418 on: February 03, 2019, 05:59:52 AM »
Only if it's not a Derech tiltul. Meaning not just turning your hand around and pushing it. See Machtzitz Hashekel regarding the two seemingly contradictory statements of the Rosh.
Where?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3419 on: February 03, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »
It is a machlokes achronim if kilachar yad works for more than kli semlachto lissur. Need to look up exact maare mikomos
Feelings don't care about your facts