Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 971867 times)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions
« Reply #5560 on: January 02, 2023, 10:14:56 PM »
http://aish.com/cutting-tzitzit-strings/
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/9556/cutting-tzitzis-strings

Bear in mind the appropriate minimum length of the strings

https://www.ok.org/article/the-laws-of-kosher-tzitzis/#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20Shulchan%20Oruch,coils%20and%20knots%20are%20made.
For a child under the age of chinuch you only needed to comply with the smallest shiur which is 4 gudlin. I don't remember the exact measurement offhand (it's probably in the dirshu mishna berura).
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline free123cc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: January 03, 2023, 12:11:38 AM »
I am looking to buy a extra freezer. I found a good one by a lowes outlet for a good price. however it is not on the star k list of approved appliances. is there anything else to be worried about in terms of shabbos/yt - besides for the light? like the compressor/motor turning on when opening? if its just the light then I can call the company and ask them if there is a way to disable it somehow, but if its more issues than just a light....

(for some reason I feel like I'm being extra machmir here, the fridge/freezer I have at home came with the house, and I never looked into it, just made the sure the bulb was out....)

thanks

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5562 on: January 03, 2023, 12:39:46 AM »
I am looking to buy a extra freezer. I found a good one by a lowes outlet for a good price. however it is not on the star k list of approved appliances. is there anything else to be worried about in terms of shabbos/yt - besides for the light? like the compressor/motor turning on when opening? if its just the light then I can call the company and ask them if there is a way to disable it somehow, but if its more issues than just a light....

(for some reason I feel like I'm being extra machmir here, the fridge/freezer I have at home came with the house, and I never looked into it, just made the sure the bulb was out....)

thanks
There are definitely other potential issues on some fridges
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: January 03, 2023, 01:30:27 AM »

thanks
my freezer has some sort of suction that goes on when the freezer closes.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: January 03, 2023, 05:44:10 AM »
my freezer has some sort of suction that goes on when the freezer closes.
FWIU there is nothing electrical about it

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5565 on: January 03, 2023, 10:28:30 AM »
FWIU there is nothing electrical about it
+1

It comings from the air pushed in by the closing door cooling and contracting.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline free123cc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: January 03, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »
There are definitely other potential issues on some fridges

what abt for fridges?

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: January 11, 2023, 04:45:54 AM »
Is there any halachic source that is OK with men Going to tropical beach destinations? You can find Daati Leumi and other rabbonim that are at least theoretically ok with pants for women. You can find those who have heteirim for recorded kol isha. Is there anyone ok with the above? To clarify I’m not talking Miami where you can stay away from the beach and be relatively ok. I’m talking Cancun and the like; people who have been there tell me you can’t leave the hotel property without being exposed to women in skimpy swimwear.

There are multiple DDF destination threads for these and other such locations discussing kosher, shabbos etc. in these locations. Is there any halachic basis from any orthodox camp- daati leumi, MO, etc. that is ok with going? I once posted something similar and got a lot of “It’s subjective. Going to the airport in Miami means you will see some pritzus. Walking on the streets of Manhattan in the summer is the same. It’s inevitable.” “You also go places where tznius is compromised unless you stay in a cave.”(paraphrased).

Is there any halachic basis for this rational whatsoever (Rav Moshe was matir an older man to go the beach by the Rockaways for Refuah in a specific circumstance) or is this a MYOB kind of thing?

Offline ~King Lake~

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: January 11, 2023, 06:35:50 AM »
Am I allowed to go visit a conservative synagogue just to see how beautiful it is (not to daven there)?
Asked my LOR he said it wouldn’t be a problem since I’m not going to the Shul but rather to see the Architects work.
He did say that I should make sure to not go there during praying sessions.
I’m talking about this Shul design by Frank Lloyd Wright
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #5569 on: January 11, 2023, 07:05:29 AM »
Is there any halachic source that is OK with men Going to tropical beach destinations? You can find Daati Leumi and other rabbonim that are at least theoretically ok with pants for women. You can find those who have heteirim for recorded kol isha. Is there anyone ok with the above? To clarify I’m not talking Miami where you can stay away from the beach and be relatively ok. I’m talking Cancun and the like; people who have been there tell me you can’t leave the hotel property without being exposed to women in skimpy swimwear.

There are multiple DDF destination threads for these and other such locations discussing kosher, shabbos etc. in these locations. Is there any halachic basis from any orthodox camp- daati leumi, MO, etc. that is ok with going? I once posted something similar and got a lot of “It’s subjective. Going to the airport in Miami means you will see some pritzus. Walking on the streets of Manhattan in the summer is the same. It’s inevitable.” “You also go places where tznius is compromised unless you stay in a cave.”(paraphrased).

Is there any halachic basis for this rational whatsoever (Rav Moshe was matir an older man to go the beach by the Rockaways for Refuah in a specific circumstance) or is this a MYOB kind of thing?
I'm not here to answer your question since you specifically asked for a source that is Matir, the concept of בנות מדין clearly has its place here I'm just not sure if it's enough להלכה...

However, this resource is very helpful although it was written in a different context
https://ihalacha.com/files/hibh.pdf

Starting on page 15 you get a full review of the איכא דרכא אחרינא concept.
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: January 11, 2023, 09:01:53 AM »

thanks

It used to be that compressors had just two modes, on or off. This meant that there was less of a direct link between opening the door and turning on the compressor.

Today some are more complex and have sensors that detect the exact temperature and adjust accordingly. This might be a bigger issue.

Aside for this, some have sensors that detect if the door is opened, rather than a button that you can tape down. I believe there is a way to fool the sensor by putting a strong magnet in the right spot.

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: January 11, 2023, 09:06:46 AM »
I'm not here to answer your question since you specifically asked for a source that is Matir, the concept of בנות מדין clearly has its place here I'm just not sure if it's enough להלכה...

However, this resource is very helpful although it was written in a different context
https://ihalacha.com/files/hibh.pdf

Starting on page 15 you get a full review of the איכא דרכא אחרינא concept.
I know there are reasons it should be a problem. Those reasons can be generalized to other areas that people go, yet there are rabbonim who are ok with those areas when the is a need for vacation, relationship, visiting relatives etc.  I’m specifically wondering if there are any who are matir Cancun and similar places even where there are less problematic warm weather alternatives and people go for the experience, or if it’s one of those “MYOB and don’t bring up halacha” kind of things.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: January 11, 2023, 09:20:17 AM »
I know there are reasons it should be a problem. Those reasons can be generalized to other areas that people go, yet there are rabbonim who are ok with those areas when the is a need for vacation, relationship, visiting relatives etc.  I’m specifically wondering if there are any who are matir Cancun and similar places even where there are less problematic warm weather alternatives and people go for the experience, or if it’s one of those “MYOB and don’t bring up halacha” kind of things.
Don't we have a dedicated thread for this (started by you, iirc)?

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: January 11, 2023, 09:55:09 AM »
Don't we have a dedicated thread for this (started by you, iirc)?
I think that was a tznius getaways thread. There was some halachic discussion of דרכא אחריתא but I don’t think anyone specifically discussed an approach that was matir. I’m coming from a more right wing point of view but know there are other POV. Some more recent first hand reports led me to ask here if there is a Rav with a halachic approach in orthodox judaism that is good with it.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #5574 on: January 11, 2023, 10:01:37 AM »
I think that was a tznius getaways thread. There was some halachic discussion of דרכא אחריתא but I don’t think anyone specifically discussed an approach that was matir. I’m coming from a more right wing point of view but know there are other POV. Some more recent first hand reports led me to ask here if there is a Rav with a halachic approach in orthodox judaism that is good with it.
I just got a response from a posek with an encyclopedic knowledge of modern-day teshuvos (wrote Dor Hamilaktim, but I doubt any non-Mirrer Y-m knows who he is - a musmach of Rav Berkovits and Rosh Chaburah). He said he did not know of a heter. Sorry, I tried.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: January 11, 2023, 10:03:17 AM »
I doubt any non-Mirrer Y-m knows who he is
R. Stillerman

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: January 11, 2023, 10:20:23 AM »
I have a sister who is shomer shabbos, kashrus, etc. but doesn’t cover her hair and does mixed swimming. I’m very clear that it’s a MYOB approach, not a halachic one. This seems to be far more widespread so I’m unclear if it’s the same principle, or there’s more to it. Yes I’m aware of the sugyos. I  know that not every Rav from every branch of orthodoxy will have the commonly accepted approach to a sugyah. That’s why I gave the example of pants before.

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: January 11, 2023, 10:31:04 AM »
I just got a response from a posek with an encyclopedic knowledge of modern-day teshuvos (wrote Dor Hamilaktim, but I doubt any non-Mirrer Y-m knows who he is - a musmach of Rav Berkovits and Rosh Chaburah). He said he did not know of a heter. Sorry, I tried.
Is he familiar with all of the MO and dati leumi poskim. If you asked him about women wearing pants would he be familiar with the Bnei Banim?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #5578 on: January 11, 2023, 10:40:39 AM »
Is he familiar with all of the MO and dati leumi poskim. If you asked him about women wearing pants would he be familiar with the Bnei Banim?
Probably not the former, mostly yes regarding the latter. I'm just trying to direct you in the direction you are looking for. No judgment.  :)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: January 11, 2023, 10:52:59 AM »
There’s  plenty of MYOB in every segment of Orthodox Judaism. Just wanted to see if there’s a basis other than that here.