Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 1013076 times)

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions
« Reply #5860 on: July 25, 2023, 05:07:30 PM »
is there anything in writing by sephardic poskim as to when exactly music is permitted?  right after Tisha Bav like haircuts and laundry or after the the 10th of Av like meat?

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: July 25, 2023, 07:13:57 PM »
is there anything in writing by sephardic poskim as to when exactly music is permitted?  right after Tisha Bav like haircuts and laundry or after the the 10th of Av like meat?
Rav Ovadia says that sfardim are only makpid on בשר ויין. That is why laundering and haircuts are ok, so music should be ok too.

יחוה דעת חלק ה סימן מא
And see here:
https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=55600&st=&pgnum=248&hilite=

However, I see Rav Meir Mazuz was asked specifically about music, and he responded that’s it’s מגונה מאוד to listen מוצאי ת״ב, and that the minhag is not to.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:28:03 PM by imayid2 »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: July 25, 2023, 11:11:53 PM »
Do you have a source explicit regarding oil? I vaguely recall a nidon (not on the page) if the shachs heter of nitzotzos spraying would apply to oil, because its hotter.
And punkt today I bump into this :)

https://asktherav.com/28627-while-frying-cutlets-some-of-the-hot-oil-spritzed-on-the-milchig-side/
While frying cutlets some of the hot oil spritzed on the milchig side of the fires and on the back of the milchig toaster

If it spritzed a far distance, or it spritzed on something else first, the oil most probably cooled off to below yad soledes bo before hitting the surface, and everything is fine. Just wash it down with cold water and soap.

If it was close, the oil most probably was still hot and you should Kasher the surface.

Sources:

הנה דין טיפה אחת פסקה חמימותה נראה פשוט של״ש בשמן, כנראה במוחש. ולפלא שלא ראיתי דנים מזה. ושו״ר שכ״כ ממחברי זמננו בזרע שמואל צג הע׳ קמו. אבל ראה בדיני בשר בחלב גולדשמידט מלואים ע׳ שצג שנקט ששמן כמים. ונסתפק מזה בהלכות המצויות במקום נופש נאומבורג ע׳ ח.

ולהעיר מפמ״ג צא במ״ז ה בסופו דתתאה גובר ואוסר אף כ״ק ואף בשמן אין אוסר יותר.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: July 26, 2023, 09:30:07 AM »
Rav Ovadia says that sfardim are only makpid on בשר ויין. That is why laundering and haircuts are ok, so music should be ok too.

יחוה דעת חלק ה סימן מא
And see here:
https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=55600&st=&pgnum=248&hilite=

However, I see Rav Meir Mazuz was asked specifically about music, and he responded that’s it’s מגונה מאוד to listen מוצאי ת״ב, and that the minhag is not to.

The source you posted seems to cut off the answer?  who is the Rav of these teshuvot?

I'm looking for something explicit from R Ovadiah re music.  That is the exact question is music like meat or laundry/haircuts?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: July 26, 2023, 09:43:18 AM »
The source you posted seems to cut off the answer?  who is the Rav of these teshuvot?

I'm looking for something explicit from R Ovadiah re music.  That is the exact question is music like meat or laundry/haircuts?
Scroll to the next pages to see further, and to the beginning to see who he is.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, the heter of laundry/haircuts isn’t intrinsic, the reason why it’s permitted is because only meat and wine are prohibited. If you see the next couple pages of that tshuva you’ll see that he explains it, based on Rav Ovadia.

This is all מעיקר הדין. Apparently many refrain for the reason of Rav Mazuz.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #5865 on: July 26, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »
Scroll to the next pages to see further, and to the beginning to see who he is.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, the heter of laundry/haircuts isn’t intrinsic, the reason why it’s permitted is because only meat and wine are prohibited. If you see the next couple pages of that tshuva you’ll see that he explains it, based on Rav Ovadia.

This is all מעיקר הדין. Apparently many refrain for the reason of Rav Mazuz.

yes thanks! 
IMO  there is no clear psak from  Rav ovadia making a clear psak on this.  Maybe Rav Yitzhak Yosef does?
You heard orally Rav mazouz psak or you saw in writing?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: July 26, 2023, 12:09:29 PM »
yes thanks! 
IMO  there is no clear psak from  Rav ovadia making a clear psak on this.  Maybe Rav Yitzhak Yosef does?
You heard orally Rav mazouz psak or you saw in writing?
I couldn’t find anything in Chacham Yitzchak or Chacham Dovid Yosef. I’m pretty sure they don’t talk about it.

Rav Mazouzs psak is a a transcript of some oral questions he was asked, I’ll try to post a pic later bl’n.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: July 26, 2023, 01:44:15 PM »
@davidd75  Rav Mazuzs psak to refrain is recorded in his משנה ברורה איש מצליח סימן תקנ״ח הערה 3.
See here:
https://www.hidabroot.org/question/228805
And here for a shiur about it:
https://www.ykr.org.il/video/6800/

If you’re looking around you’ll find plenty people saying it’s ok, that’s because I think everyone agrees it’s permitted for sfardim by the letter of the law:

https://kavhalacha.co.il/%D7%90%D7%A7%D7%98%D7%95%D7%90%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%94%D7%9C%D7%9B%D7%94/%D7%94%D7%9C%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%9E%D7%A2%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%AA/%D7%94%D7%90%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%AA%D7%A8-%D7%9C%D7%A9%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A2-%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%96%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A6%D7%90%D7%99-%D7%AA%D7%A9%D7%A2%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%90%D7%91

It’s really an ask you LOR question who would advice in your specific circumstance if he feels “it’s the right thing to do”.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: July 26, 2023, 02:19:58 PM »
@davidd75  Rav Mazuzs psak to refrain is recorded in his משנה ברורה איש מצליח סימן תקנ״ח הערה 3.
See here:
https://www.hidabroot.org/question/228805
And here for a shiur about it:
https://www.ykr.org.il/video/6800/

If you’re looking around you’ll find plenty people saying it’s ok, that’s because I think everyone agrees it’s permitted for sfardim by the letter of the law:

https://kavhalacha.co.il/%D7%90%D7%A7%D7%98%D7%95%D7%90%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%94%D7%9C%D7%9B%D7%94/%D7%94%D7%9C%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%9E%D7%A2%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%99%D7%A0%D7%95%D7%AA/%D7%94%D7%90%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%AA%D7%A8-%D7%9C%D7%A9%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A2-%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%96%D7%99%D7%A7%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%A6%D7%90%D7%99-%D7%AA%D7%A9%D7%A2%D7%94-%D7%91%D7%90%D7%91

It’s really an ask you LOR question who would advice in your specific circumstance if he feels “it’s the right thing to do”.

wow thanks!!!

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: July 27, 2023, 08:13:48 PM »
Many chassidim follow the psak in name of the Barditchover Ruv Ztz''l to allow everything for in such a year. Since all dinei aveilos were removed for Friday.
Rabbi Harfenes in מקדש ישראל comments on this שמועה that לאו מר בר רב אשי חתים עלה

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #5870 on: July 31, 2023, 12:05:45 PM »
Does anyone know of a good safer that discusses "Tzimtzum" in depth, I am not referring to the basic idea of "Tzimtzum", and the Machlokes of Tzimtzum kepshuto or aino kepshuto, as brought down in the Tanya, Nefesh Hachaim, Pischey Sheorim etc.. They seem to explain what Tzimtzum "Is" and "Isnt" but not addressing many difficult questions that arise from either explanation, and I cant seem to find a good safer that clarifies these questions, anyone have any advice of good sources as their doesnt seem to be many?

(R` Aryeh Kaplan has 1 safer that he wrote in Hebrew called "Moreh Ohr" which seems to be out of print as is virtually unobtainable, I managed to download a PDF version online, he discusses a few difficult hashkafic ideas, and on the Inyan of Tzimtzum he literally asks 2 of the questions that have been  bothering me, only to go on to many more points on other topics and does not seem to answer them at the end, its possible that the PDF version isnt the entire safer and possibly he does answer it if their is a longer version.)
@Philosophypsych
Have you seen
Nefesh HaTzimtzum by Avinoam Fraenkel?

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: July 31, 2023, 01:28:29 PM »
What's the issue with girls and horseback riding?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: July 31, 2023, 01:29:53 PM »
What's the issue with girls and horseback riding?
It's a subjective Tznius issue. There is no explicit Halacha prohibiting it.

Some interesting discussion here
https://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/21974/horse-back-riding-for-women

Also, see here:
https://chabadinfo.com/beis-medrash/horseback-riding-for-women/?old
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 01:52:11 PM by imayid2 »

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #5873 on: August 01, 2023, 03:26:06 PM »
@Philosophypsych
Have you seen
Nefesh HaTzimtzum by Avinoam Fraenkel?
No I haven't, so thank you for sharing! Just ordered both volumes via link. יישר כחך

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: August 01, 2023, 04:11:34 PM »
I don't accept this premise. It can also make things worse.

Either way, while  too, I can't imagine it is just done with no cheshbon. There would need to be some level of rules involved.
There are a whole bunch of rules indeed... And yes and no in regards to making things worse.. You can't make things worse from what you have previously accomplished but you can take on new aveiros.. Meaning, your previous nefesh ONLY stands to gain from your גלגול, but your current nefesh/ruach, can take on new aveiros obviously.. So as a result each גלגול automatically brings your previous Nefesh closer to it's tikun regardless of how much new Aveiros a person takes on.

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: August 01, 2023, 04:22:14 PM »
So people get unlimited retries? Wasn't the whole purpose of the world so people can earn their olam haba? Of course you'll get the results after enough times. How's that earning?
Why create gehenom for? Wasn't that the whole purpose of it to rectify for aveiros?

So you can say that there are stuff that can only be rectified in this world. What's a good example of that? Returning money? Just don't give the reward for that thing.

Does the second party involved get a choice in being sent down?
Do gilgulim get schar for mitzvos they do? Why is it fair that the person gets more time?
Feel free to go thru שער הגלגולים where he goes thru many of these questions.
Just going to try and address some of your points.

1. There are rules, like if the נפש doesnt do any mitzvah on its initial 3 tries then it's pretty much over. (which is obviously uncommon)

2. How does the fact that we have multiple attempts take away from the notion of earning? And what's ofcourse you'll achieve the results? There's no THE result it's about how much results you take in over your stay, the more the merrier.. And yes indeed Hashem is very kind.

3. The gehinom question is clearly brought up in a few places
ויש בזה מקום שאלה, כי כפי הנראה לכאורה, שיותר טובה הוא ליכנס לגיהנם למרק תכף כל עונותיו, ולא לחזור בכמה גלגולים. והנלע"ד חיים לתרץ, כי הקב"ה צופה ומביט, כי הרשע הזה אם יחזור בגלגול יוסיף על חטאיו פשעךם, וירבה בעבירות על הזכיות, ולכן בראותיו שכבר השלים אותם המצות המועטות המוכרחות לו כפי שרש נפשו, מסלקו מן העולם ומורידו לגיהנם, ומתמרקין עונותיו, ונשארים זכיותיו שלימים, כי חפץ חסד הוא. אמנם הצדיק שעונותיו מועטים מזכיותיו, הם מתמרקים ע"י כל היסורין שסובל בגלגולים, ונשארים לו זכיותיו המרובים הנוספים לו בכל גלגול עד אין קץ, וגם שכרו נפלא ע"ד מ"ש רז"ל רצה הקב"ה לזכות את ישראל לפיכך הרבה להם תורה ומצות..

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: August 09, 2023, 02:45:16 PM »
R' Moshe very clearly does not allow shaking hands. OP probably meant sitting on a bus or train, which is referenced in the teshuva you posted.
Correct, in Igros, He clearly forbids it. However, Rav Chaim Mintz has an oral Psak permiting it. I'm under the impression that it was a personal psak, that Rav Moshe gave, knowing Rav Chaim's Yiras Shamayim, but others say otherwise.
Just ran into this, interesting:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgcePrdZdaQ
A number of viewers have pointed out that Rav Moshe, in three published teshuvos, prohibited shaking hands with women and questioned those rabbis who permitted it. These queries are justified -- my apologies for implying that Rav Moshe allowed this "lechatchila". However, many talmidim of Rav Moshe have confirmed (some to me personally) that although he was reluctant to go on record on this issue, he would allow business handshaking in certain situations. This is confirmed in Mesoret Moshe (1:EH #56) published by Rav Moshe’s grandson, where Rav Moshe is quoted as permitting shaking hands with a woman to perform the kinyan of mechirat chametz. Aditionally, Rav Getzel Ellinson, in his comprehensive work on “Women and Mitzvot” (Vol. 2, Ch. 2, FN #86) writes that he clarified the issue with Rav Moshe personally. Rav Moshe made a distinction between extending a hand (which he said was unequivocally prohibited) and returning a handshake which he found difficult to openly permit, but which he acknowledged was both done and permitted by pious individuals. Actually, if you look at Rav Moshe's teshuvos, he says that one is prohibited "lehoshit yad" -- to extend one's hand -- implying that if a hand is extended to a man by a woman he may take it. From another talmid of Rav Moshe I heard that any such handshake shouldn't be a grip, but the hand should remain limp, so that it is in the category of "karka olam", based on the gemara in Megilla about Esther and Achashveirosh. Once again, I apologize for implying in the video that this was lechatchila, and I hope the above clarifies the details.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: August 09, 2023, 04:24:13 PM »
Just ran into this, interesting:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgcePrdZdaQ

Before relying on this, just be aware that this is a bunch of I heard bshem someone who heard, etc and it goes against R. Moshe's published psakim. On the other hand, R. Yitzchak Abadi writes that he was told directly by the Chazon Ish that it is יהרג ואל יעבור

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: August 09, 2023, 05:03:37 PM »
On the other hand, R. Yitzchak Abadi writes that he was told directly by the Chazon Ish that it is יהרג ואל יעבור
Not sure why you’re giving more credence to this מפי השמועה than the others….

Anyway, of course no one should rely on this. Ask LOR. I’ve heard big names that are meikal.

Offline mevinyavin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #5879 on: August 10, 2023, 02:40:00 AM »
One does understand that, given the state of one's brain, it may be theoretically muttar (no daas whatsoever) but it may be yehoreg v'al yaavor (daas lehonos). Can anyone predict in advance which it will be? I would never dare even if I got a heter in the former case, because of the latter case.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!