Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 950884 times)

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #1660 on: September 29, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Answer: poskim bring down that you should be machmir on things that are explicitly chumros (like pas yisroel) and not on things which have a tzad halacha (like yoshon). Which category does cholov yisroel fit in?
That depends on who you ask. There are poskim who don't agree with Rav Moshe,  but among those who follow his heter, there are different ways to understand why he said baal nefesh yachmir.

Offline eis517

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #1661 on: September 29, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »
Does bishul akum apply to an electric stove? Is it only fire? What about other sources of heat? Could a non-jew use the sun (if it is hot enough) to cook an egg for you? I am asking because I have an electric stove for the first time, and thought maybe there is a difference between electric heat and gas heat.

Do any Poskim discuss this?

Offline chbochur

• View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: September 29, 2016, 01:48:17 PM »
Does bishul akum apply to an electric stove? Is it only fire? What about other sources of heat? Could a non-jew use the sun (if it is hot enough) to cook an egg for you? I am asking because I have an electric stove for the first time, and thought maybe there is a difference between electric heat and gas heat.

Do any Poskim discuss this?
It applies to all kinds of ovens (according to most poskim even microwaves) however some say that the sun or similar is not under the issur (see chelkas binyomin siman 113 seif 13)

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: September 29, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »
That depends on who you ask. There are poskim who don't agree with Rav Moshe,  but among those who follow his heter, there are different ways to understand why he said baal nefesh yachmir.
When Reb Reuven Feinstein shlit"a was asked what a Baal Nefesh is his response was "Not us".
A baal nefesh would probably be defined as one who foregoes most worldly pleasures. Not someone who goes crazy over Izzy's smoked ribs. (myself included)
R' Reuven ate Cholov Stam until after R' Moshe was nifter because he felt the madreiga of baal nefesh went down. R' Dovid also ate it until relatively recently and no one knows what made him stop. Something tells me none of us come close to that level.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline eis517

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #1664 on: September 29, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »
It applies to all kinds of ovens (according to most poskim even microwaves) however some say that the sun or similar is not under the issur (see chelkas binyomin siman 113 seif 13)

Why does it not apply to the sun? How do we differentiate between different sources of heat (sun & microwave vs gas and electric)?

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: September 30, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
When Reb Reuven Feinstein shlit"a was asked what a Baal Nefesh is his response was "Not us".
A baal nefesh would probably be defined as one who foregoes most worldly pleasures. Not someone who goes crazy over Izzy's smoked ribs. (myself included)
Do you know this first hand? I spoke with R' Belsky and he told me beshem R' Moshe that bal nefesh is not that high and that we should all consider ourselves bal nefesh. He also told me that he doesn't believe the stories about R' dovid and R' Reuven saying that they are not bal nefesh. Also I recently heard from someone who R' Belsky told him that these days cholov Stam is way more complicated and that R' Moshe wouldn't be matir and that the OU does it for the modern crowd...

Online gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: September 30, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »
Do you know this first hand? I spoke with R' Belsky and he told me beshem R' Moshe that bal nefesh is not that high and that we should all consider ourselves bal nefesh. He also told me that he doesn't believe the stories about R' dovid and R' Reuven saying that they are not bal nefesh. Also I recently heard from someone who R' Belsky told him that these days cholov Stam is way more complicated and that R' Moshe wouldn't be matir and that the OU does it for the modern crowd...
i heard it second hand from a very reliable posek. I heard directly from reb Reuven that cholov Stam is a chumra and not din and that the Feinstein family always ate cholov stam (aside from reb Moshe)

That being said i did see,not just hear about, a letter from reb Moshe discussing  his psak to someone (could have been a journal or something) saying that anyone who is able to should try very hard to keep cholov Yisroel. I don't remember the exact lashon. Not merely baalei nefesh. Which would mean even us regular people.

After all this Rav belsky was my posek so I don't eat cholov stam and also try not to give cholov stam formula to infants as he held very strongly to try not to. Even with the heter of powdered milk.

And it is surely true that he believed that any bnei Torah (not just learning people but anyone who follows Halacha strongly) should consider himself Baal nefesh. But that was Rav belsky. Not reb reuven.

As far as the last thing you mentioned I'm not sure that is true. If you are referring to the treifos shaila involved with the dairy cows of non cholov Yisroel farms, he actually held very strongly that there is no shaila and it is mutar lechatchila. I heard it from him many times and it's printed in his Sefer.
I've never heard anything like what you said and I certainly doubt the validity. But hey who knows.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: September 30, 2016, 05:33:12 PM »

As far as the last thing you mentioned I'm not sure that is true. If you are referring to the treifos shaila involved with the dairy cows of non cholov Yisroel farms, he actually held very strongly that there is no shaila and it is mutar lechatchila. I heard it from him many times and it's printed in his Sefer.
I've never heard anything like what you said and I certainly doubt the validity. But hey who knows.
+1
My impression is that he is the prime source to be meikel on this

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: October 02, 2016, 12:21:56 AM »
Is one allowed to open an oven on Shabbos while the oven is on, and the fire is on, to remove one pan of food while leaving another pan in for tomorrow?

Offline ben89

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: October 02, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
Is one allowed to open an oven on Shabbos while the oven is on, and the fire is on, to remove one pan of food while leaving another pan in for tomorrow?
you mean you tov?

Online cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: October 02, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »
you mean you tov?
On yt there's no question. He asked about Shabbos
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Z56

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #1671 on: October 02, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »

Will your oven work harder if after you open the door ?
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Online cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: October 02, 2016, 09:53:54 AM »
Will your oven work harder if after you open the door ?
It will cause it to stay in the on cycle longer
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Z56

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #1673 on: October 02, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »
It will cause it to stay in the on cycle longer

They you are definitely not allowed
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: October 02, 2016, 10:05:57 AM »
They you are definitely not allowed
every oven is different but even what your saying is not agreed by all poskim so it's not definitely assur... in the shabbos kitchen page 9-10 look at the note which says " opening an oven door may sometimes cause a fire to ignited (if the oven is set on thermostatic control). Where this possibility exists, some authorities raise doubt as to whether one is permitted to open the door (UNLESS THE FLAME IS ACTUALLY BURNING AT THAT MOMENT). It is advisable to familiarize oneself with the working of ones own oven and to consult a competant halachic authority on this matter."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:15:02 AM by ben89 »

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: October 02, 2016, 11:04:59 AM »

That being said i did see,not just hear about, a letter from reb Moshe discussing  his psak to someone (could have been a journal or something) saying that anyone who is able to should try very hard to keep cholov Yisroel. I don't remember the exact lashon. Not merely baalei nefesh. Which would mean even us regular people.

Yes, in Madrich L'kashrus.

http://www.israel613.com/books/MADRICH_KASHRUT17-18-H.pdf
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57f123ea6a409/MADRICH_KASHRUT17-18-H.pdf
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:12:45 AM by Cheesecake »

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: October 02, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
there is a recorded shiur from Reb Reuven where he defines what a baal nefesh is. bottom line is - not so easy.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1677 on: October 05, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
Does anyone know if this is kosher? I remember buying such ones that were kosher! Is the hechsher covered by the bend on the bottom? 
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVMNM8/?tag=cl03f-20 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline george

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: October 05, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »
Does anyone know if this is kosher? I remember buying such ones that were kosher! Is the hechsher covered by the bend on the bottom? 

They make a special run that is kosher and labeled kosher and sold in frum stores. The ones in non-frum stores and Amazon are not kosher.

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: October 06, 2016, 12:35:53 AM »

From their website:
HARIBO products are not kosher. There is however, a kosher line of HARIBO sold exclusively through Paskesz
https://www.haribo.com/enUS/contact-information-service/faq.html