Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 950261 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #2760 on: December 14, 2017, 01:09:55 AM »
I just checked and didn't see anything in the Maharasha.

I did however see this

Thanks. What's the MM for the yaavetz in the pic?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: December 14, 2017, 07:42:49 AM »
Why would you say so? And traveling on a journey where there are armed bandits and he made it through safely without encountering them is any different?
I’m no Rav but I seem to recall hearing that there’s a difference between going through danger & almost being in danger. If someone got out of the way of an oncoming car or for whatever reason suddenly decided to leave a store & 2 minutes later a bomb went off would they bench gomel ?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: December 14, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
If someone aimed at me (possibly my head) but missed by a few inches is gomel recited ?
This is a big AYLR. Some would say definitely, some would say definitely not. (To quote a famous story, someone once asked a well known posek if they should bentch Gomel, as they missed their flight and the plane crashed (or something like that). The Rav responded, "When your pants are hanging on the clothesline, do you bentch gomel that you're not still wearing them?")
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2763 on: December 14, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
I just checked and didn't see anything in the Maharasha.

I did however see this

Adding oil right before they are eaten does not make it kavush though. Also we are discussing adding oil to olives which are already kavush (I assume)
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: December 14, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
This is a big AYLR. Some would say definitely, some would say definitely not. (To quote a famous story, someone once asked a well known posek if they should bentch Gomel, as they missed their flight and the plane crashed (or something like that). The Rav responded, "When your pants are hanging on the clothesline, do you bentch gomel that you're not still wearing them?")
The story is with Rav Bick, he had a few such stories. IIRC this story was someone who was supposed to get a ride with someone and that person crashed to which he answered that his wife hung up his pants to dry on the clothesline and they fell down, had he been wearing them, he would have fell and died.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yudamaan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: December 17, 2017, 03:07:02 PM »
I once spun a full 360 on north lake drive in Lakewood, for those who don't know its a curvy road along side of the lake. Asked r forcsheimer if I should say hagomel, and he answered the same, that almost being in a makom sakana is not considered being in one

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: December 17, 2017, 03:12:13 PM »
I once spun a full 360 on north lake drive in Lakewood, for those who don't know its a curvy road along side of the lake. Asked r forcsheimer if I should say hagomel, and he answered the same, that almost being in a makom sakana is not considered being in one
How is being missed by a few inches by a bullet not in a makom skanah?

Offline yudamaan

• View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: December 17, 2017, 03:27:36 PM »
Never said he wasnt in a makom sakana, was just saying that not always when there is a "if something could have happened" is there a chiyuv to say hagomel

Offline shlonx

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: December 17, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »

I think the difference is that if you're missed by a bullet in a battlefield, it's obviously considered a makom sakana. But if you're just walking down the street and a bullet misses you, that's not considered a makom sakana. Unless that street happens to be in Chicago...  :D
Brevity may be the soul of wit, but floridity is its spirit.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: December 17, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »
I think the difference is that if you're missed by a bullet in a battlefield, it's obviously considered a makom sakana. But if you're just walking down the street and a bullet misses you, that's not considered a makom sakana. Unless that street happens to be in Chicago...  :D
So if a bullet happens to wiz by your head, that's not a makom sakana? Come on.

Offline shlonx

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: December 17, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »

Yes. If you're walking down a corridor in Fort Knox, for example, no one in their right mind would argue that you are in a makom sakana. And if, while walking, a big heavy gold ingot fell off a pallet and missed you by inches, that still doesn't make it a makom sakana.

A battlefield, on the other other hand, is where danger abounds. Same with a desert, or prison (see the Prison thread for more details....  ;))

I think you're mixing up makom sakana and matzav sakana. A LOR might still instruct you to make a hagomel on a matzav sakana, but I'm talking about the strict definiton of a "makom sakana".

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: December 17, 2017, 09:10:15 PM »
All very nice and dandy, but can you point me to the seif in Shulchan Aruch where (if at all) these distinctions are made?

Offline shlonx

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: December 17, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
Unfortunately not  :(

It was in a shiur I once heard.

Hopefully some of the talmidei chachomim here will be able to help.

But I think the sevarah is a solid one, anyway.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: December 17, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »
But I think the sevarah is a solid one, anyway.
Nothing personal, but that doesn't matter if the facts don't agree with you. :)

Offline Yammer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: December 17, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »
Adding oil right before they are eaten does not make it kavush though. Also we are discussing adding oil to olives which are already kavush (I assume)
Correct, but all olives are soaked these days in the Jar/can.

The question is if it needs to be soaked in something specific

Offline DTM

• View Profile
« Reply #2775 on: December 18, 2017, 12:51:22 PM »
If one is not makpid on Cholov Yisroel in the USA, based on R' Moshe Feinstein ZT"L's p'sak, would the same reasoning apply to milk in European countries, including Spain? I know that his famous pasak only covered the USA at the time, and did not address other countries, but should the same rationale apply elsewhere nowadays where there is government regulation and inspections and negative economic repercussions for companies to deviate? 

The following facts may also be relevant: While the economics involved may have changed over time, according to Wikipedia, quoted below, currently, pig's milk is not a viable agricultural product for human consumption:
"Difficulty in milking pigs. Pig milk is not considered suitable for human consumption or commercial production for a number of reasons. Pigs are considered difficult to milk. The sow herself is reluctant to be milked, may be uncooperative or become spooked by human presence, and lactating pigs may be quite aggressive. Sows have 8 to 16 small nipples, each giving little milk for a short duration. A cow's milking time can be around ten minutes compared to fifteen seconds for a pig. A sow may produce only 13 pounds of milk per day compared to a cow's production of 65 pounds. (Production has been estimated using a system of weighing piglets prior to and after suckling.) In addition, no existing milking machine is designed to attach to around a dozen teats and extract milk for fifteen seconds. Finally, pigs, unlike cows, cannot become pregnant while lactating, which makes a pig milk operation even less viable."
"Human uses. Pig milk is generally considered unappealing for human consumption. Compared to more conventional animals such as dairy cattle or goats, a main issue is their cleanliness and diet. Also, the flavor of pig milk has been described as "gamy", more so than goat's milk. The milk is also considered more watery than cow's milk."

See also:  https://onpasture.com/2015/01/05/why-dont-we-drink-pig-milk/

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #2776 on: December 18, 2017, 01:02:13 PM »
there are many other unkosher animals besides for pigs
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline DTM

• View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: December 18, 2017, 01:34:12 PM »
there are many other unkosher animals besides for pigs
Thank you. Sure, in Mishnaic times, Chazal were properly concerned about mixing in camel's milk, as well as pig's milk. But are there many camels around in Western Europe these days, and particularly used for milk production? What other unkosher animals produce milk suitable for human consumption, and for wide-scale production on a reasonable economic basis? Wasn't R' Moshe's Heter based upon such an analysis of whether it was a reasonable concern based upon current economic realities?         

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2778 on: December 18, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »
Thank you. Sure, in Mishnaic times, Chazal were properly concerned about mixing in camel's milk, as well as pig's milk. But are there many camels around in Western Europe these days, and particularly used for milk production? What other unkosher animals produce milk suitable for human consumption, and for wide-scale production on a reasonable economic basis? Wasn't R' Moshe's Heter based upon such an analysis of whether it was a reasonable concern based upon current economic realities?         
How about horses? or many other mammals?

Also, R Moshe is very specific to govt inspections and not simply due to economic feasibility.

How about this question? Does R moshe's reasoning apply nowadays in the US? The OU says not (but that there are other reasons along similar concepts).
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline DTM

• View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: December 18, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
How about horses? or many other mammals?

Also, R Moshe is very specific to govt inspections and not simply due to economic feasibility.

How about this question? Does R moshe's reasoning apply nowadays in the US? The OU says not (but that there are other reasons along similar concepts).

Somehow I doubt any anything other than cow's milk is produced for commercial distribution in Europe, as well as the USA, but I don't really know enough about the metzios to argue, so we should each ask out LOR.

You refer to this: https://oukosher.org/blog/consumer-kosher/rav-moshe-ztls-heter-of-cholov-stam-revisited/

Based on that article, my question now is: Is the OU's current P'sak and reasoning on Cholov Stam necessarily limited to the USA or may it also apply to Western Europe? The answer to that probably depends on the metzios in Western Europe.