Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 945798 times)

Offline mclovin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teffia Questions
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2012, 08:04:55 PM »
is one allowed to own stock in a company like Mcdonalds that uses meat/milk products. im not asking about regular not kosher but basur vechalav bec it is assur in hanah. what about a company like costco which sells those types of products but is not a major source of their income. i know it is discussed so really looking for rabbanim/sefarim that talk about it

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:12 AM »
I just went through this whole thread and I am surprised that I haven't really seen the most common answer given whenever someone asks an halachic question on DDF, the YMMV of halachic questions: "Ask your LOR".
Before reading, I really thought this thread was gonna be pointless cause it would be full of those answers..

ps.(Still pointless IMO since you really should only rely on an LOR and not someone on DDF).
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
is one allowed to own stock in a company like Mcdonalds that uses meat/milk products. im not asking about regular not kosher but basur vechalav bec it is assur in hanah. what about a company like costco which sells those types of products but is not a major source of their income. i know it is discussed so really looking for rabbanim/sefarim that talk about it
do i win a prize for being the first person to stump the ddf rabbinate

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
do i win a prize for being the first person to stump the ddf rabbinate
The problem is you asked for halacha le'masah. If you would of asked for everyone to blabber an opinion it would be a different story... ;)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
ok 3,2,1 go let the blabbering begin

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »
ok 3,2,1 go let the blabbering begin
Asur bi'hana means asur bi'hana. NO? If you want to find loopholes in yidishkeit I am sure you could, but why risk your olam haba for some money? You should be investing in other things like yeshivas, kolels, and kiruv organizations then you will earn a REAL parnasa :). Good babel?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2012, 04:28:19 PM »
Asur bi'hana means asur bi'hana. NO? If you want to find loopholes in yidishkeit I am sure you could, but why risk your olam haba for some money? You should be investing in other things like yeshivas, kolels, and kiruv organizations then you will earn a REAL parnasa :). Good babel?

That argument is problematic, because Chametz Sheaavar Alav Hapesach is also assur b'hanaah (b'mashehu), and it would be a problem with many food corporations/conglomerates.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
That argument is problematic, because Chametz Sheaavar Alav Hapesach is also assur b'hanaah (b'mashehu), and it would be a problem with many food corporations/conglomerates.
The individual can sell his stock along with his other food to a goy. Same thing any Jew that owns a non-kosher grocery does over pessach. What is the deal with earning stock money on shabbos?

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »
  What is the deal with earning stock money on shabbos?

the market is closed on shabbos and sunday
according to the BHI (business halacha institute) the poskim come out that it is permitted

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »

the market is closed on shabbos and sunday, according to the BHI (business halacha institute) the poskim come out that it is permitted
Depends which market you are invested in... And that is cool. Did they give a svara?

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »
Depends which market you are invested in... And that is cool. Did they give a svara?
all they said was that the poskim come out its ok ( i knew it was a hock) but i will ask them for more info

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
Just saw this new sefer that's sure to interest many of us here:
"הטשעק בהלכה"
בהלכות קרעדיט קארדס - עסקי באנק - סטאקס - באנדס - טרענספערס - וואוטשערס ועוד

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:49 AM »
Just saw this new sefer that's sure to interest many of us here:
"הטשעק בהלכה"
בהלכות קרעדיט קארדס - עסקי באנק - סטאקס - באנדס - טרענספערס - וואוטשערס ועוד

Who is it written by?
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2012, 11:56:10 AM »
Who is it written by?
Don't know. This forum user says the author is פינחס מנחם ליפשיץ

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Don't know. This forum user says the author is פינחס מנחם ליפשיץ
Oh I thought you have the book.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
All Halocha Shailos and teffia Questions
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2012, 09:08:40 AM »
Yes.
And if anyone wants to fuss about it, please do it here or here, or make a new thread.

If you don't mind explaining I thought that you can't receive anything in return for maaser?

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »
1. How are you receiving anything in return? Money that you could have spend on yourself (albeit with a bit more difficulty) and instead spent on צדקה, is your money given to צדקה. What's the difference if you give $10 to צדקה, or $10 amex credit to צדקה. Just like you can deduct a $10 cash donation from the מעשר money that you owe, so too, you can deduct a $10 amex credit from the מעשר money that you owe.

2. Even according to your presumption that you are getting something in return for Maaser:
If you have "The laws of Tzedakah and Maaser" (Artscroll), check pp 149 for a far more novel situation.
In case you don't have it, pertinent quote in footnote 31:
שו"ת אג"מ יו"ד ח"א סי' קמ"ג, דאפילו הנאה וריוח ממש הבאה לאדם ע"י גרם הצדקה שנתן שייך לו ולא לצדקה
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:17:23 AM by dirah »

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »
1. How are you receiving anything in return? Money that you could have spend on yourself (albeit with a bit more difficulty) and instead spent on צדקה, is your money given to צדקה. What's the difference if you give $10 to צדקה, or $10 amex credit to צדקה.

2. Even according to your presumption that you are getting something in return for Maaser:
If you have "The laws of Tzedakah and Maaser" (Artscroll), check pp 149 for a far more novel situation.
In case you don't have it, pertinent quote in footnote 31:
שו"ת אג"מ יו"ד ח"א סי' קמ"ג, דאפילו הנאה וריוח ממש הבאה לאדם ע"י גרם הצדקה שנתן שייך לו ולא לצדקה

as for point one I wan't sure about that in this situation since as you said as of now there is not a very practical way for you to spend the credit on yourself

Ill have to check it up thanks

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »
as for point one I wan't sure about that in this situation since as you said as of now there is not a very practical way for you to spend the credit on yourself
For the sake of argument, let us suppose - as you say - that I have absolutely no other way of spending the money at all.
So what?
The amex credit is still my money, and I can exercise the right to give it to צדקה or not. If I do give it, I have given צדקה from that which is mine. Why shouldn't I be able to deduct it from the מעשר money that I owe?

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
All Halocha Shailos and teffia Questions
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »
For the sake of argument, let us suppose - as you say - that I have absolutely no other way of spending the money at all.
So what?
The amex credit is still my money, and I can exercise the right to give it to צדקה or not. If I do give it, I have given צדקה from that which is mine. Why shouldn't I be able to deduct it from the מעשר money that I owe?

But do you get to count what tzedaka gains or what you are losing? Does this credit have a $10 value to you?