Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 950819 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #3640 on: May 08, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »
Since no one else "tastes" grapes before buying them, then don't assume that the store owners give permission to do so.
Many people do it. The question is if it's ok

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: May 08, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »
I've never seen it. First time I heard of it was here.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: May 08, 2019, 10:15:05 PM »
But op said he's seen many people doing it

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3643 on: May 08, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
To tell you the truth I never really thought about it, I did it because that's what I saw when growing up and went shopping for grapes.
  When it comes to grapes where it's a cluster of fifty to a hundred grapes I taste one to know if I should buy the whole cluster or if I should take only half the cluster, by tasting one of the grapes. Now in regards to an apple an orange a lemon and onion each apple each lemon is its own thing, so in that scenario there's not what to taste.
   and believe it or not when it came to cherries just like the grapes when it's an open bag and it's made for people to touch and taste I did the same thing before buying a bag of (Cherries).

Now in regards to strawberries blueberries and all the berries which came in a container and it was closed I wouldn't open it, it's only where the bags were open and where they would assume customers would go ahead and taste the product before buying that's where I went ahead and tasted, as that's the reason why they leave it open for people to go ahead and taste.
Cherries? What does tasting one tell you about the rest of the bag? Grapes are at least one cluster.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline cholent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: May 08, 2019, 10:48:18 PM »
They count occupied seats I believe.
Actually, they count the meals that leave the kitchen. So if you take a second main course the Baal simcha will pay for it.
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: May 08, 2019, 11:14:31 PM »
Actually, they count the meals that leave the kitchen. So if you take a second main course the Baal simcha will pay for it.

I never knew that. Is that only for meals that are over the count that was given to the caterer, or do they charge the Ba’al simcha  less if fewer meals end up leaving the kitchen because some guests don’t show so the meals served are less than the count given to the caterer?

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: May 08, 2019, 11:22:36 PM »
I never knew that. Is that only for meals that are over the count that was given to the caterer, or do they charge the Ba’al simcha  less if fewer meals end up leaving the kitchen because some guests don’t show so the meals served are less than the count given to the caterer?
Only for meals over count. That's why some will give a lower number than they are expecting, to account for some who may not end up coming. Caterers prepare extras regardless
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: May 08, 2019, 11:32:26 PM »
They don’t charge less

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: May 09, 2019, 12:13:37 AM »
Only for meals over count. That's why some will give a lower number than they are expecting, to account for some who may not end up coming. Caterers prepare extras regardless

So if the tables appear fairly empty, or if the waiters put down portions by empty places there shouldn’t be any issue taking doubles or triples.

Online myi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3649 on: May 09, 2019, 12:50:40 AM »
Cherries? What does tasting one tell you about the rest of the bag? Grapes are at least one cluster.
Just to give you an example when buying chestnuts if you find one or two rotten good chance they're all rotten.
   And the same with cherries they're not bagging cherries with cherries from 400 different trees chances are the cherries are from one tree or within a few trees close by, now if one or two of them are sweet chances are they're all sweet.
  Same with apples if one of the apples in the bunch is a good tasting Apple ,chances are all the apples in the bunch are going to be delicious as well.
   Now there's lots of room to argue, but this is just using logic which I think makes lots of sense, that from prior experience of buying fruits and vegetables over the years. If you have different experience then I, then it can very well be true as well.

Thanks for making me feel semi normal around here.
You learn new things everyday on DDF.
But op said he's seen many people doing it
Thanks for backing my crazy theory of people tasting grapes before buying.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: May 09, 2019, 04:23:11 AM »
I would say that the grape tasting situation is probably a geography thing.
I can see this happening in Israel any time of the day. And in new York City being a no no.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: May 09, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »
I can't understand why you consider the grape sampling to be simple while you consider not taking the unfrozen slurpee to be questionable while to me it seems to be the opposite. One you are definitely eating someone else's food without paying while the other you are taking to buy but then see it is not frozen and therefore decline to take it.

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: May 10, 2019, 01:26:46 AM »
I can't understand why you consider the grape sampling to be simple while you consider not taking the unfrozen slurpee to be questionable while to me it seems to be the opposite. One you are definitely eating someone else's food without paying while the other you are taking to buy but then see it is not frozen and therefore decline to take it.
Again i never thought it through as i was growing up seeing everyone sampling the grapes, i will ask the store manager in Costco and shop-rite and all other stores to see what there response to this is.

And in regards to the Slurpee, today when i went to get one i felt bad testing the machine to see if it works, thinking its gezel, this time around took the chance that its still in its liquid form.

And in regards to the grapes was thinking imagine each tom and harry decides to do a grape tasting to see if he should buy the grapes, and by the end of the day there was 500 customers who bought grapes that means 500 grapes were gone so thats effectively 3-4 bunches gone with the grape tasting theory.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: May 10, 2019, 01:31:49 AM »
Again i never thought it through as i was growing up seeing everyone sampling the grapes, i will ask the store manager in Costco and shop-rite and all other stores to see what there response to this is.

And in regards to the Slurpee, today when i went to get one i felt bad testing the machine to see if it works, thinking its gezel, this time around took the chance that its still in its liquid form.

And in regards to the grapes was thinking imagine each tom and harry decides to do a grape tasting to see if he should buy the grapes, and by the end of the day there was 500 customers who bought grapes that means 500 grapes were gone so thats effectively 3-4 bunches gone with the grape tasting theory.
I have seen it with the grapes too. Half the time by the time it gets into their mouth they are already halfway across the store.

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: May 10, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
I have seen it with the grapes too. Half the time by the time it gets into their mouth they are already halfway across the store.
  Oh I do the same and come back if the grapes are indeed good.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: May 10, 2019, 01:25:37 PM »
  Oh I do the same and come back if the grapes are indeed good.
be aware that to many outside observers it will look like you are simply stealing grapes even if sampling is really okay.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: May 10, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
be aware that to many outside observers it will look like you are simply stealing grapes even if sampling is really okay.
I believe the reason most stores allow sampling (even if you don't plan on buying) is because they hope you will like them enough to feel compelled to buy them.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline iambarry

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: May 12, 2019, 07:28:21 AM »
I'm planning to fly from Israel to the US after Shavuot.  As I live in Israel, I observe only the single chag day here.  My understanding is that in theory I could fly the day after Shavuot from Israel, while the 2nd day of chag is still being celebrated chutz l'aretz, but I would be prohibited from traveling in New York until after the night after the 2nd day, as someone might see me and get the incorrect impression that I was breaking the chag (do I have that right?).  My question is would I be able to travel through Europe and switch planes while 2nd day chag is being observed there?  Or would the prohibition include being seen even inside the airport buildings?  TIA.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: May 12, 2019, 08:01:59 AM »
I'm planning to fly from Israel to the US after Shavuot.  As I live in Israel, I observe only the single chag day here.  My understanding is that in theory I could fly the day after Shavuot from Israel, while the 2nd day of chag is still being celebrated chutz l'aretz, but I would be prohibited from traveling in New York until after the night after the 2nd day, as someone might see me and get the incorrect impression that I was breaking the chag (do I have that right?).  My question is would I be able to travel through Europe and switch planes while 2nd day chag is being observed there?  Or would the prohibition include being seen even inside the airport buildings?  TIA.
Why would Europe be different from NY I'm this regard?

Offline iambarry

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: May 12, 2019, 08:20:36 AM »
Why would Europe be different from NY I'm this regard?
In New York I would be leaving the airport.  In Europe I would be simply changing planes.