Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 963255 times)

Offline ggblueblah

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #3840 on: September 10, 2019, 01:56:50 PM »
google it and see what u find
Is it permissible to say what went to the ACP here in Formz

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: September 15, 2019, 08:03:37 PM »
So I am left-handed, I do everything with my left hand, and as such I wear my tefillin shel yad on my right arm. Beyond tefillin, are there any other halachos or halachic differences for left- vs right-handed people?

Offline gingyguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
« Reply #3842 on: September 15, 2019, 08:09:54 PM »
So I am left-handed, I do everything with my left hand, and as such I wear my tefillin shel yad on my right arm. Beyond tefillin, are there any other halachos or halachic differences for left- vs right-handed people?
There is a sefer called Iter Yad that goes through all the Halachos of a lefty
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: September 15, 2019, 09:07:55 PM »
*almost * everything a righty does with his right hand, a lefty would do with his left.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline ~King Lake~

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: September 15, 2019, 11:08:17 PM »
Lulev & esrog
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: September 16, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
Thanks to all those who responded...

*almost * everything a righty does with his right hand, a lefty would do with his left.

I assume you are speaking in a situation where halacha dictates which hand to use - otherwise this is pretty obvious :)

There is a sefer called Iter Yad that goes through all the Halachos of a lefty

I found this - not sure if this is based on the same sefer you were referring to: http://halachafortodaycom.blogspot.com/2013/02/archives-hilchos-iter-yad.html

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: September 20, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »
Can you watch the Kosel cam when it’s shabbos there?

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: September 20, 2019, 06:09:55 PM »
Is it permissible to say what went to the ACP here in Formz
huh

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: September 21, 2019, 09:32:27 PM »

Offline ~King Lake~

• View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: September 21, 2019, 10:26:28 PM »
Can you watch the Kosel cam when it’s shabbos there?
Don't think it's a problem
I’m in shape, round is a shape…

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #3850 on: September 24, 2019, 12:09:11 AM »
What's your guys take,
  Ordered some sesame chicken fries and white rice, order comes and what i see is fried rice instead of white rice which I requested.
  So contacted GrubHub to see what they can do for me they offered to refund me $18+ for the main large sesame chicken which comes with the side dish of white rice.
   So I said thank you so much for doing that for me...
But then in the email confirmation from the customer service representative I see it says refund from restaurant. I feel really wrong taking money from a Jewish owned store just because they gave me the wrong rice which was kind of disappointing as I love eating my sesame chicken with white rice and was a little bit different having fried rice which I know will put me away...
   What's your guys take on this matter? Give them back $18 or keep the $18?

A good review I did do as the food was very good, but a little bit disappointed with the white rice.

What's your opinion?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: September 24, 2019, 01:38:09 AM »
People are often surprised to hear that when one uses or consumes an item after discovering a defect or discrepancy he is often deemed to have been mochel the discrepancy and has waived his right to make a claim or return the item. There are many variables that affect this Halacha such as the manner in which multiple items are bundled or sold together, the type of discrepancy, the nature of the buyer, the circumstances in which the buyer proceeded to use or consume the item, the residual value of the item to the owner if returned, and many other variables that can completely change the outcome of these cases.

Therefore, if you ate the dish and then called to complain it is entirely possible that you have been mochel the discrepancy and lose the ability to have a claim (it is not entirely clear that there is a monetary claim in the first place/ it may be like בשר איל מסורס in סימן רלג). Even if you called before consuming the dish, the amount of the claim- if any- would likely be lower than the refund you received.

Complicating matters is the fact that Grubhub acts as the agent of the restaurant, transferring all funds less commissions to the restaurant. As per its service terms it does appear to have the right to deduct refunds and discounts granted to customers from the funds it transfers to the restaurant (it’s unclear who gets to determine when a discount or refund is appropriate- Grubhub or the restaurant). It would still appear that any refund claim is really being lodged against the Jewish restaurant rather than Grubhub itself. This would seem to be similar to doing a chargeback through the credit card company against a Jewish merchant.

The best would be if you can get the owner/ manager to agree to the refund as a goodwill gesture; otherwise consult a Rav who is well versed in choshen mishpat for your specific situation for guidance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:35:51 AM by Yard sale »

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: September 24, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »

What's your opinion?
Did you really think GrubHub was going to take an $18 loss because someone else gave you the wrong type of rice?
44/50, 46/63

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: September 24, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
Did you really think GrubHub was going to take an $18 loss because someone else gave you the wrong type of rice?
   Wasn't expecting $18 back from my whole meal, I thought they would give me a promotional credit from a future purchase or something, instead they refunded entire amount.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #3854 on: September 24, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
Rice is very important in a chinese meal and if I dont get the rice I ordered the restaurant should be responsible. I hate these restaurants who think they can just give you whatever you want even though you didnt order it and have no consequences. They are given your phone number and can call you to tell you that they are out of something and ask you if you want something else instead so they dont get a charge back.

That happened to me many times. Or if you dont like what they can offer They can cancel the order for you. But if they send you the wrong thing they should lose the $. I always offer them to come pick it up as I dont want it. (Once they did come and pick it up when they were sending a replacement)

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: September 24, 2019, 03:38:56 PM »
Rice is very important in a chinese meal and if I dont get the rice I ordered the restaurant should be responsible. I hate these restaurants who think they can just give you whatever you want even though you didnt order it and have no consequences. They are given your phone number and can call you to tell you that they are out of something and ask you if you want something else instead so they dont get a charge back.

That happened to me many times. Or if you dont like what they can offer They can cancel the order for you. But if they send you the wrong thing they should lose the $. I always offer them to come pick it up as I dont want it. (Once they did come and pick it up when they were sending a replacement)
Wow, I see you mean business when it comes to the rice.
  it's not much different than ordering a pie pizza which comes with a fries.  for example if one only likes regular he hates spicy fries and they say they're out of regular fries and send them spicy fries.

I definitely hear you're coming from just the concept that you got the food and the rice, they did what was good for them, as there was no white rice Avlb ( assuming that's what happened, I even double-checked and I saw I ordered white rice while the receipt shows fried rice.

Online mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #3856 on: September 24, 2019, 03:44:35 PM »
  it's not much different than ordering a pie pizza which comes with a fries.  for example if one only likes regular he hates spicy fries and they say they're out of regular fries and send them spicy fries.

I definitely hear you're coming from just the concept that you got the food and the rice, they did what was good for them, as there was no white rice Avlb ( assuming that's what happened, I even double-checked and I saw I ordered white rice while the receipt shows fried rice.

Im not necessarily referring to rice. But anytime they want to substitute they should ask you first. If they dont they can come pick it up and they are subject to grubhubs rules of how they handle delivering a wrong delivery

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: September 24, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »

-1 rice is more important to chinese than fries are to pizza.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: September 24, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
-1 rice is more important to chinese than fries are to pizza.
Could be, but the concept!
  I could definitely see that, they put it in a special box with a metal hook and handle versus stuffing it together with the chicken.

And where do you think I buy all my basmati and sushi rice from? Yup Chinese groceries in China Town.
  So I guess it's kind of a main course by them.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: September 24, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
if they send you the wrong thing they should lose the $. I always offer them to come pick it up as I dont want it. (Once they did come and pick it up when they were sending a replacement)

Again, depending on how vastly  the item differs from what was promised, from a halachic standpoint you may not even have any right to force them to take it back for a refund or replacement. ( Although it would probably be bad business practice for them to refuse.)

Im not necessarily referring to rice. But anytime they want to substitute they should ask you first. If they dont they can come pick it up and they are subject to grubhubs rules of how they handle delivering a wrong delivery

How is that different than saying that a Jewish merchant should be subject to the chargeback rules of Amex rather than halacha if I have a problem with his service or product? There is a shulchan aruch that we follow. Occasionally, normal and customary business practices can establish a minhag (not to be confused with dina dimalchusa) but that is not something one can assume.

Just because Amex or Grubhub have systems in place to protect consumers doesn’t mean that one is automatically entitled to use them  to obtain something they are not halachicly entitled to. These are serious questions and should be directed to a Rav.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:16:25 PM by Yard sale »