Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 950322 times)

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #4160 on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:20 PM »
Re hot water - kli shnei. Besides, that's quite a lto of water to heat cream past yad soledes bo.
Not necessarily. If it’s actively being heated by the boiler it may be kli rishon lo nifsak hakiluach.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:08:47 PM by Yard sale »

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:37 PM »
Re hot water - kli shnei. Besides, that's quite a lto of water to heat cream past yad soledes bo.
Irui kli rishon, just a little remaining cream to heat up.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: February 10, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »
1. Hot water is pareve
2. Kavush only applies to leaving things for a while
3. People wash pareve dishes all the time. If it's cold milk, any taam that comes off a sponge is pogem (soap imbedded there).

So quickly we forget that they didn't have 3 sets of dishes in Europe.
Have you never had to run out suddenly and leave stuff unwashed in the sink? Never? Remember once it is a milchig or fleishig kli we do not use it for lach tzonein of the other type.
What makes you so sure that biein particles imbedded in a sponge are nifgam by the soap?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4163 on: February 12, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
Since we've been discussing kashrus the past few days.. here's an interesting one from the OU

Q. I bought a box of cornflake crumbs that were labeled OU-D. The OU’s Webbe Rebbe (Kosherq@OU.org) told me that this OU-D product does not contain dairy ingredients, but it was made on dairy equipment (DE). I am aware that DE products should not be eaten with meat. By accident, I baked my chicken with the cornflake crumbs. Can I eat the chicken or must it be discarded?

A. If we knew that the cornflake crumbs were made on dairy equipment after a 24 hour downtime, there would be no concern. However, we are unable to make that determination, and commonly there is no downtime between dairy and pareve productions.

There are three different opinions among poskim as to the status of these crumbs and the chicken.

Sefardim follow the ruling of Shulchan Aruch (YD 95:1-2) that these crumbs are fully pareve and may be cooked together with meat. Although Shulchan Aruch agrees that lechatchila one may not bake a pareve item in a dairy oven with the intention of serving it with meat, bidieved, if baked without intention, the item is pareve.
Rama writes that these crumbs may not be served together with meat lichatchila, but bidi’eved (after the fact) if they were accidentally cooked with meat, the food would be permitted. In addition, there is no need to wait six hours after meat before eating a DE item. Once the meat is removed from the table, this item may be served.
The Shach follows the ruling of the Maharshal that nat bar nat through tzli or afiah (roasting or baking) is treated more stringently than nat bar nat of bishul. According to the Shach, if these crumbs were baked with meat, the meat would be forbidden.
There is a difference of opinion among poskim as to whether the Ashkenazim follow the ruling of the Rama or the Shach. However, in this case of the chicken baked with cornflake crumbs there is an additional reason to be lenient. It is possible that the cornflakes were made in the factory more than 24 hours after the dairy products, in which case the crumbs would not be affected by the dairy flavor in the oven. Because of this additional uncertainty, if the cornflakes were already baked with chicken, the food may be eaten.

More about this program and to subscribe visit https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis-email/

View archive on https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis/

Subscriber comments related to this mailing and questions regarding Kashrus issues can be sent to GerstenE@ou.org. These questions and their answers may be selected to become one of the Q and A’s on OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: February 18, 2020, 12:09:44 AM »
https://collive.com/groundbreaking-letter-by-rav-feinstein-restricts-cholov-stam/
He writes similar in Igros Moshe too. Still people choose the cholov stam yogurt off the aisle instead of choosing the CY ones right next to it, all to save a few cents. There should really be more awareness of his stance in this situation.

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #4166 on: February 18, 2020, 12:11:03 AM »
https://collive.com/groundbreaking-letter-by-rav-feinstein-restricts-cholov-stam/

Groundbreaking Letter by Rav Feinstein Restricts Cholov Stam
An unknown handwritten letter by the great halachic posek, Rav Moshe Feinstein OBM clarifies called his permission to eat Cholov Stam, calling it a "leniency" that should not be relied upon by those who are living "where real Cholov Yisroel is available."
Thousands of frum Jews have been relying on the famous heter by Rav Moshe Feinstein, the great halachic posek of the past generation, that permits to consume dairy products that are cholov stam (milk not supervised by a Jew).

In his responsa Igros Moshe (Yoreh Deah 1:47), Rav Feinstein ruled that such milk – also called cholov stam – is permissible because the governmental inspection of dairies can serve as verification that milk from non-kosher animals is not present.
But a new letter that was recently discovered, and, to the best of our knowledge, was never published before, places key restrictions on that option.

The letter was written in response to an inquiry by Reb Yitzchok Shlomo Hoffman OBM, a noted Jewish activist who would arrange kosher food for Jewish patients in New York hospitals.

Hoffman asked the staff in Maimonides Medical Center in Boro Park why they serve Cholov Akum. Their reply was that “Reb Moshe allowed it.”

When Hoffman reported this to Rav Feinstein, the posek handed him a letter calling it a leniency that should not be relied upon by those who are living “where real Cholov Yisroel is available.”

R’ Yitzchok Shlomo Hoffman recently passed away and the letter was found by his children among his possessions.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
« Reply #4167 on: February 18, 2020, 12:13:35 AM »
He writes similar in Igros Moshe too. Still people choose the cholov stam yogurt off the aisle instead of choosing the CY ones right next to it, all to save a few cents. There should really be more awareness of his stance in this situation.
There seems to be a dispute between the close talmidim of Reb Moshe what his position really was.
ופוק חזו מאי עמא דבר

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: February 18, 2020, 12:17:37 AM »
There seems to be a dispute between the close talmidim of Reb Moshe what his position really was.
ופוק חזו מאי עמא דבר
This letter pretty much clear things up, if it's an authentic letter. (sounds so)

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: February 18, 2020, 12:44:10 AM »
This letter pretty much clear things up, if it's an authentic letter. (sounds so)
Not necessarily. Don’t you think Rav Moshe would make sure to publicize this letter?!? אלא מאי, the argument will be made that in boropark there’s certainly no need to compromise on CY but that doesn’t mean that the heter is not valid in other situations...
What exactly the geder is i don’t know...

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4171 on: February 18, 2020, 07:20:29 AM »
There have been other similar letters found as well. Each one was, like this one, promoting having cholov yisroel available for the public and not regarding an individual.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: February 18, 2020, 07:44:03 AM »

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:25 AM »
ופוק חזו מאי עמא דבר
-1 R' Reuven says he held it's muttar l'chatchila.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: February 18, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
I am not sure how this is a -1

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: February 18, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »
If you would be more aware of his stance you wouldn't say things like this.

ETA It's not for no reason that many of his grandchildren (at least all the ones that I know what they do) drink cholov stam. Both of his sons did too and only stopped (relatively) more recently.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:03:59 AM by avromie7 »

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:57 AM »
I am not sure how this is a -1
1)-1 although I have no way to verify that there are no talmidim who disagree, I haven't heard of any who disagree and I know quite a few.
2) R' Reuven says he held it's muttar l'chatchila.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: February 18, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
Rav Moshe writes very clearly otherwise.

Offline Shmobaum

• View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: February 18, 2020, 10:52:02 AM »
1)-1 although I have no way to verify that there are no talmidim who disagree, I haven't heard of any who disagree and I know quite a few.
2) R' Reuven says he held it's muttar l'chatchila.
I remember that David Lichtenstein had a show episode dedicated to this topic. He interviewed one of the Rabbis of the CRC Chicago and that rabbi said that it’s not a blanket heter

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: February 18, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
This is all besides the fact the the metzius today is not what is discussed by Rav Moshe.