Topic Wiki

Some Lomdishe Acronyms For This Thread (Feel free to update the wiki as needed.)

AYLR – Ask Your Local Rabbi
KHLH – כל המקיל לא הפסיד
IMHnrO - In My Humble non-rabbinic Opinion
MB – Mishna Berura
MM - Mar'eh Makom
MMR – Machlokes Mechaber & Rema
NM - Nafka Minah
S – Siman
SF – Se’if
SHUA – Shulchan Aruch
SK – Se’if Katan
WTM – What’s The Mekor (?)
YMMV – Your Minhag May Vary

Author Topic: All Halocha Shailos and Tiffeh Questions  (Read 961547 times)

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: All Halocha Shailos and teiffa Questions
« Reply #4640 on: July 31, 2020, 12:57:49 AM »
AYLOR. Many chassidim follow the psak in name of the Barditchover Ruv Ztz''l to allow everything for in such a year. Since all dinei aveilos were removed for Friday.
Even meat/ wine?
(Which are always questionable on Erev Shabbos....)
How are "all done various removed" seems like only things which are likavod shabbos and can not be done after chatzos for example you wouldn't be able to do 9 days worth of a family's laundry in one afternoon or get a haircut appt. But if you have time to shower/ shave after chatzos it's better
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:01:56 AM by Mikes@Micro »
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: July 31, 2020, 01:05:34 AM »
Even meat/ wine?
(Which are always questionable on Erev Shabbos....)
How are "all done various removed" seems like only things which are likavod shabbos and can not be done after chatzos for example you wouldn't be able to do 9 days worth of a family's laundry in one afternoon or get a haircut appt. But if you have time to shower/ shave after chatzos it's better
No, his psak was that therefor it was removed altogether

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: July 31, 2020, 01:17:36 AM »
No, his psak was that therefor it was removed altogether
Rav Falk also believes so.

https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=21547&st=&pgnum=277

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: July 31, 2020, 01:41:10 AM »
Rav Falk also believes so.

https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=21547&st=&pgnum=277
without seeing the context, it's not clear the Rav Falk is paskening like that. Just that he's explaining the MA. I haven't seen any contemporary poskim that discuss the sugyah  (Rav Nissim Karelitz, Rav Wosner, Dayan Fisher, Rav Moshe etc)being mattir lemaaseh
AYLOR. Many chassidim follow the psak in name of the Barditchover Ruv Ztz''l to allow everything for in such a year. Since all dinei aveilos were removed for Friday.
do you have a source for this?

What I've seen from litvishe and chassidishe poskim - machlokes re haircuts tonight. some who are matir haircuts still forbid bathing (presumably because you will bathe again before shabbos).
Laundry even for items that you won't need,  -I saw one machmir shita, but most are meikel, and Rav Moshe explained that the takanos Ezra to wash on thursday so as not to be busy with it Friday is the mattir.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: July 31, 2020, 02:02:36 AM »
without seeing the context, it's not clear the Rav Falk is paskening like that. Just that he's explaining the MA. I haven't seen any contemporary poskim that discuss the sugyah  (Rav Nissim Karelitz, Rav Wosner, Dayan Fisher, Rav Moshe etc)being mattir lemaasehdo you have a source for this?

What I've seen from litvishe and chassidishe poskim - machlokes re haircuts tonight. some who are matir haircuts still forbid bathing (presumably because you will bathe again before shabbos).
Laundry even for items that you won't need,  -I saw one machmir shita, but most are meikel, and Rav Moshe explained that the takanos Ezra to wash on thursday so as not to be busy with it Friday is the mattir.
There are two shailos here. One is when the heter starts in a year like this, and the other if non tzorchei shabbos are also muter. Rav Falk addresses mainly the first one and is mattir completely. And on the second one he also believes it to be muter, but he has no clear source for it.
Barditchover ruv's psak is brought down in Piskei Thuvos as well, in the bottom notes.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: July 31, 2020, 02:05:20 AM »
There are two shailos here. One is when the heter starts in a year like this, and the other if non tzorchei shabbos are also muter. Rav Falk addresses mainly the first one and is mattir completely. And on the second one he also believes it to be muter, but he has no clear source for it.
Barditchover ruv's psak is brought down in Piskei Thuvos as well, in the bottom notes.
Laundry is it's own shaila.
I will look at the full context of rav falk and the piskei teshuvos. Thank you

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: July 31, 2020, 02:53:23 AM »
1) To clarify - Rav Falk is dealing with laundry / bathing / haircuts. Not meat and wine. He is very explicit at the end of the teshuva
2) He only discusses non tzorchei Shabbos with regards to laundry. There's a strong sevara because of the takanos Ezra, that he brings in s"k #10 as well. I heard the same from other poskim as well.
3) Haircuts and rechitza lkovod shabbos he is matir as well
4) what he does not discuss is our question - where it's not lkovod shabbos. I'm going to shower tonight, but will shower again before shabbos. (same would apply to shaving).
5) There is no sevara in his teshuva that should be matir that.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: July 31, 2020, 06:00:11 PM »
1) To clarify - Rav Falk is dealing with laundry / bathing / haircuts. Not meat and wine. He is very explicit at the end of the teshuva
2) He only discusses non tzorchei Shabbos with regards to laundry. There's a strong sevara because of the takanos Ezra, that he brings in s"k #10 as well. I heard the same from other poskim as well.
3) Haircuts and rechitza lkovod shabbos he is matir as well
4) what he does not discuss is our question - where it's not lkovod shabbos. I'm going to shower tonight, but will shower again before shabbos. (same would apply to shaving).
5) There is no sevara in his teshuva that should be matir that.
As I noted, Rav falk's tshuva basically just addresses the question on when the heter of צורך שבת starts. Whereas the psak of the קדושת לוי was a blanket rule that no aveiles is noheg on Friday. However, Rav falk also agrees m'svora, in his words that I highlighted, that once a heter is given for צרכי שבת, that should apply for all of that sort even they're not for צרכי שבת, therefor he insists that all laundry should be permitted, and showering twice should be no different. But he's מסיים with a וצ׳׳ע since as he says he found no clear source for this. Therefore he's not giving a final heter on that part.

Now the קדושת לוי psak was actually on this exact question based on the same svura, with one clear distinction. The קדושת לוי posits that no aveiles were given on a Friday at all, Therefor even בשר ויין would me muter on Friday (but excluding Thursday night משום האבילות של יום), whereas rav falk who believes that aveiles was just removed for particular stuff that some of it's sort has a צורך שבת, then those stuff would have blanket heter even without being a צורך שבת, but in his view would בשר ויין be excluded.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: July 31, 2020, 07:06:12 PM »
and showering twice should be no different.

He doesn't say this. There is a strong sevara to differentiate between laundry and showering/ haircuts. And there are other achronim that do say it explicitly, which he quotes at the very end of the teshuva, as well as ones he doesn't quote.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4649 on: August 02, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »
Does anyone know of a good safer that discusses "Tzimtzum" in depth, I am not referring to the basic idea of "Tzimtzum", and the Machlokes of Tzimtzum kepshuto or aino kepshuto, as brought down in the Tanya, Nefesh Hachaim, Pischey Sheorim etc.. They seem to explain what Tzimtzum "Is" and "Isnt" but not addressing many difficult questions that arise from either explanation, and I cant seem to find a good safer that clarifies these questions, anyone have any advice of good sources as their doesnt seem to be many?

(R` Aryeh Kaplan has 1 safer that he wrote in Hebrew called "Moreh Ohr" which seems to be out of print as is virtually unobtainable, I managed to download a PDF version online, he discusses a few difficult hashkafic ideas, and on the Inyan of Tzimtzum he literally asks 2 of the questions that have been  bothering me, only to go on to many more points on other topics and does not seem to answer them at the end, its possible that the PDF version isnt the entire safer and possibly he does answer it if their is a longer version.)

https://derher.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Tzimtzum-Article-Av-5780.pdf

We've been through quite a lot since this was posted, but since I just came across an essay that was just published explaining concepts and understandings of Tzimtzum, I thought it would be worthy to post as a response to this (and might also respond to some other posts in various threads, just search DDF for Tzimtzum)

In case the link gets taken down, I've cleaned up the PDF a little so it could be small enough to add as an attachment, and it is hereby attached. I hope I didn't delete anything.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 03:09:14 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4650 on: August 30, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
I had ILS in EY and needed USD in NY. I found someone that had an opposite need, and we agreed that for USD he would deposit into my account in NY I would transfer to his account in EY ILS at the current rate (usually looked up by Google search entering XXXXX US to ILS).

At a certain point he asked me if I could advance him a larger amount in ILS, which he would repay me about 10 days later in USD, to which I agreed.  In the interim, the exchange rate broke through the key level of 3.40.

What would be the right amount of USD for him to repay me so that neither of us have a problem of ribbis? Would it be the rate at the time I advance the ILS to him, the rate at the time of repayment, or anything else? It should be noted that in the past no attention was paid to a day or two difference due to smaller amounts and smaller swings in the exchange rate.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chbochur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: August 30, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »
I had ILS in EY and needed USD in NY. I found someone that had an opposite need, and we agreed that for USD he would deposit into my account in NY I would transfer to his account in EY ILS at the current rate (usually looked up by Google search entering XXXXX US to ILS).

At a certain point he asked me if I could advance him a larger amount in ILS, which he would repay me about 10 days later in USD, to which I agreed.  In the interim, the exchange rate broke through the key level of 3.40.

What would be the right amount of USD for him to repay me so that neither of us have a problem of ribbis? Would it be the rate at the time I advance the ILS to him, the rate at the time of repayment, or anything else? It should be noted that in the past no attention was paid to a day or two difference due to smaller amounts and smaller swings in the exchange rate.

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #4652 on: September 04, 2020, 01:58:20 PM »
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: September 07, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
any mikor regarding entering a reform temple for a business function?

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: September 15, 2020, 11:48:28 PM »
I lent my car to someone tonight and he drove over some sort of little bracket and popped my tire. He immediately offered to pay for the replacement, but out of curiosity I'm wondering whether he's actually mechuyav- is this an oneis? The bracket that's lodged in the tire looks too small to be visible from a driver's vantage point....

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: September 15, 2020, 11:51:47 PM »
I lent my car to someone tonight and he drove over some sort of little bracket and popped my tire. He immediately offered to pay for the replacement, but out of curiosity I'm wondering whether he's actually mechuyav- is this an oneis? The bracket that's lodged in the tire looks too small to be visible from a driver's vantage point....
Pashtis it's a case of שואל שחייב באונסין, but ask a Rav of course to be sure.

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: September 16, 2020, 12:59:55 AM »
Pashtis it's a case of שואל שחייב באונסין, but ask a Rav of course to be sure.
Make sure the Rov heard of מתה מחמת מלאכה, that a שואל is not chayev... Either way אמר רבי יוחנן: לא חרבה ירושלים אלא... שהעמידו דיניהם על דין תורה, ולא עבדו [=עשו] לפנים משורת הדין (בבא מציעא ל ע"ב).
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: September 16, 2020, 01:02:12 AM »
Make sure the Rov heard of מתה מחמת מלאכה, that a שואל is not chayev...
Went through my mind, I wonder if this can be בגדר ממ׳׳מ but I might be wrong, worth asking.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:18:26 AM by EliJelly »

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4658 on: September 16, 2020, 01:40:54 AM »
Is there a inyan to use the knife over Yom Tov or just to buy it ?
Wondering where this inyan came from and found your post.

How you feeling? Everything alright? You've been really quiet for the past 5-6 months.

Your missed very much here around the forum.

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Philosophypsych

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: September 16, 2020, 04:52:08 AM »
https://derher.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Tzimtzum-Article-Av-5780.pdf

We've been through quite a lot since this was posted, but since I just came across an essay that was just published explaining concepts and understandings of Tzimtzum, I thought it would be worthy to post as a response to this (and might also respond to some other posts in various threads, just search DDF for Tzimtzum)

In case the link gets taken down, I've cleaned up the PDF a little so it could be small enough to add as an attachment, and it is hereby attached. I hope I didn't delete anything.
Wow I barely remember posting this, surprised you did!
Thank you so much! Will have a look in depth in the am (and may have some feedback) very much appreciated!!