Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3153180 times)

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #13780 on: March 27, 2023, 09:37:25 PM »
Lenovo 16" Slim 7i 16IAH7 Multi-Touch Laptop (Storm Gray) $799 from B&H

- 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 14-Core (12th Gen)
- 16GB LPDDR5 RAM | 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD
- 16" 2560 x 1600 IPS Touchscreen
- Intel Arc A370M Graphics (4GB GDDR6)
- 4-in-1 MMC, SD, SDHC & SDXC Card Reader
- USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 | Thunderbolt 4 | HDMI
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) | Bluetooth 5.1
- HD IR Webcam, Dual Speakers & Dual Mics
- 120 Hz Refresh Rate | 100% sRGB Coverage
- Windows 11 Home

I know that there has been discussion about Intel 12th Gen processors and I am not 100% sure about whether the issue is applicable to this laptop. The issue may only be with P-series processors but don't rely on me.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:40:45 PM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #13781 on: March 28, 2023, 04:45:47 AM »
Lenovo 16" Slim 7i 16IAH7 Multi-Touch Laptop (Storm Gray)
Good price. I have almost recommended this laptop for graphics professionals a number of times, but I've been stymied by a lack of reviews for the ARC flavor. The Nvidia version does indeed run hot, though not as hot as some other contenders, because Lenovo apparently worked really hard on the cooling. Battery life should also be great considering the class of laptop, and the weight is very good.
Note that ARC graphics should be great for work (Adobe stuff and similar) but don't get your hopes up regarding gaming.

I know that there has been discussion about Intel 12th Gen processors and I am not 100% sure about whether the issue is applicable to this laptop. The issue may only be with P-series processors but don't rely on me.
The issue is with all of them but the worst offenders tend to be Ps - because H's are put in laptops with robust cooling on purpose, but they continue to put Ps in [thin and light] laptops that don't have cooling up to par. Still, even many U series laptops run too hot.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #13782 on: March 31, 2023, 02:08:10 AM »
A coupla decently priced Dell laptops, which DDF members seem to prefer at the end of the quarter. @jj1000  Complete with my thoughts on each.
$220 for 15.6" Inspiron, Celeron, 4GB of RAM (upgradable, empty slot for RAM) and 128GB SSD (swappable with bigger), low quality screen. This will be slow for basic office work - and you should upgrade the RAM regardless - but it is cheap and full size, with no garbage eMMC drive that you usually get at this price range.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/ga02

$380 for 14" Inspiron 2-in-1, i3-1125G4 (a quad core, very nearly as good as an 11th gen i5), 1080p, 8GB RAM with empty slot for another one, 256GB SSD. Good price for a 2-in-1 with these specs.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/gamk

$400 for 15.6" Inspiron with Ryzen 5 (6 cores), 8GB RAM (upgradable, empty slot) and 512GB SSD. This price is pretty normal, actually. It is better value than the 14" if the size is okay and you don't want a 2-in-1, so I mentioned it.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/g9va

Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Shaya E

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13783 on: March 31, 2023, 12:35:38 PM »
A coupla decently priced Dell laptops, which DDF members seem to prefer at the end of the quarter. @jj1000  Complete with my thoughts on each.
$220 for 15.6" Inspiron, Celeron, 4GB of RAM (upgradable, empty slot for RAM) and 128GB SSD (swappable with bigger), low quality screen. This will be slow for basic office work - and you should upgrade the RAM regardless - but it is cheap and full size, with no garbage eMMC drive that you usually get at this price range.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/ga02

$380 for 14" Inspiron 2-in-1, i3-1125G4 (a quad core, very nearly as good as an 11th gen i5), 1080p, 8GB RAM with empty slot for another one, 256GB SSD. Good price for a 2-in-1 with these specs.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/gamk

$400 for 15.6" Inspiron with Ryzen 5 (6 cores), 8GB RAM (upgradable, empty slot) and 512GB SSD. This price is pretty normal, actually. It is better value than the 14" if the size is okay and you don't want a 2-in-1, so I mentioned it.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/g9va
Sorry for the basic question. You often mention upgrading RAM. How much does that cost? Is it something I would have to hire someone to do, or something a complete newb would be able to do on my own?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13784 on: April 02, 2023, 04:08:57 AM »
Sorry for the basic question. You often mention upgrading RAM. How much does that cost? Is it something I would have to hire someone to do, or something a complete newb would be able to do on my own?
When it is possible, the cost of upgrading RAM yourself is usually negligible (barring high-end computers with DDR5, and even then, not that expensive).
Officially, upgrading RAM is the simplest of all upgrade tasks. Practically, it may be too hard to open up your computer for the upgrade - some companies do this deliberately (I'm looking at you, HP). Also, any computer with LPDDR4X has soldered RAM and is not upgradeable.
If you are asking about a specific case, post in the tech support thread or PM me.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13786 on: April 02, 2023, 05:32:28 PM »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: April 02, 2023, 05:38:30 PM »
You wanna return the Zbook to save $100, hard to justify the hassle. If you’re so budget conscious and just need a laptop for browsing why not buy those $300-400 laptops?
$100 is $100 stop if it's not that much better. I still want a nice FHD screen and SSD. Good battery is appreciated too.

Also, returning it isn't a big deal. Still sealed in the box.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: April 09, 2023, 02:28:55 AM »
Zenbook 14 is $500 at Best Buy. A pretty good price.
Buy if you like the classy aesthetic, the solid build, the numberpad option on the touchpad (see review).
Don't buy if you need something lighter (it is about 3 lbs), want more than 8 hours battery life (stira in reviews - one reviewer says he got eleven but the other insisted he never got more than 8 ), need more than 8GB of non-upgradeable RAM, want to run this on your lap (12th gen Intel for the win again).
See this review to make sure: https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/asus-zenbook-14-q409za-oled

Link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-zenbook-14-2-8k-oled-laptop-intel-evo-platform-12th-gen-core-i5-processor-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-ponder-blue/6494331.p?skuId=6494331

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: April 09, 2023, 03:04:30 PM »
$300 is a good (but not stupendous) price for a Ideapad 3, 15.6" Touch, 11th gen i3, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD.
So Best Buy obliges us.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-3i-15-6-hd-touch-laptop-core-i3-1115g4-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-platinum-grey/6511950.p?skuId=6511950

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: April 11, 2023, 03:05:00 AM »
Back on sale.
Lenovo 16" Slim 7i 16IAH7 Multi-Touch Laptop (Storm Gray) $799 from B&H

- 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 14-Core (12th Gen)
- 16GB LPDDR5 RAM | 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD
- 16" 2560 x 1600 IPS Touchscreen
- Intel Arc A370M Graphics (4GB GDDR6)
- 4-in-1 MMC, SD, SDHC & SDXC Card Reader
- USB-A 3.2 Gen 1 | Thunderbolt 4 | HDMI
- Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) | Bluetooth 5.1
- HD IR Webcam, Dual Speakers & Dual Mics
- 120 Hz Refresh Rate | 100% sRGB Coverage
- Windows 11 Home

Good price. I have almost recommended this laptop for graphics professionals a number of times, but I've been stymied by a lack of reviews for the ARC flavor. The Nvidia version does indeed run hot, though not as hot as some other contenders, because Lenovo apparently worked really hard on the cooling. Battery life should also be great considering the class of laptop, and the weight is very good.
Note that ARC graphics should be great for work (Adobe stuff and similar) but don't get your hopes up regarding gaming.
The issue is with all of them but the worst offenders tend to be Ps - because H's are put in laptops with robust cooling on purpose, but they continue to put Ps in [thin and light] laptops that don't have cooling up to par. Still, even many U series laptops run too hot.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: April 16, 2023, 12:21:00 PM »
AMAZING sale for Cosco members only: Lenovo T14 Gen 2 with Ryzen 5 Pro, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD. Price is somewhere between $600 and $650 (I'm not a member so I can't see the final price). Either way it is awesome.
The T-series Thinkpads are the workhorses of many a business fleet. If any laptop can be said to be indestructible, these are it, but they normally start in the high $700s with Celeron or equivalent processors and specs to match. This spec would normally float around the $900 range (after all those coupons and discounts, which is the only price that matters). And don't forget that Cosco provides a free second year to your warranty (not that you'll need it?).

Buy this if you were brought up with the attitude that you should only buy machines that won't break after a few years. Don't buy this if you'd rather a laptop made of plastic that costs half the price and lasts half the time.
@jj1000 This is really stellar.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: April 19, 2023, 04:34:30 AM »
$439 for 14" Ideapad 3 with Ryzen 7 5700U (8 cores), 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, only in blue.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Ideapad-3-14-FHD-Laptop-AMD-Ryzen-7-5700U-8GB-RAM-512GB-SSD-Windows-11-Home-Abyss-Blue-82KT00V8US/200528768

14" Zephyrus now dropped to $1000. The next generation is already in stock, so I expect this will be your last chance.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-wqxga-120hz-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-16gb-ddr5-memory-amd-radeon-rx-6700s-1tb-pcie-4-0-ssd/6494638.p?skuId=6494638&intl=nosplash
Ryzen 9 6900HS (a 45W TDP tweaked by AMD to run at 35W with almost the same power)
16GB DDR5
TB PCIe4 SSD
Radeon 6700S (runs somewhere between 3060 TI and 3070 in games, but like the 3070 in graphics work)
14" with great color range and 2560x1600
3.66 lbs
More than 9 hours of light use on battery

Review on this exact model here: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/55035-asus-zephyrus-g14-ga402rj-review/

This is for someone who needs tons of raw power but doesn't want to compromise on portability/battery life and is willing to use a 14" screen to accomplish that. It is wild overkill for things like Photoshop, but nevertheless sells itself even to those people because the portability and battery life are unmatched at this price. (To be fair, there are cheaper, more portable models capable of Photoshop - but they will struggle at intense workloads and this computer won't. If you want a portable Photoshop computer but don't want to spend this much, PM me.)

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: April 19, 2023, 10:59:24 AM »
Is there a similar dedicated thread for Macs? One of my daughters is looking to replace hers.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: April 20, 2023, 04:04:49 AM »
Is there a similar dedicated thread for Macs? One of my daughters is looking to replace hers.
What does she need? Although you don't generally save much money on Macs...

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: April 20, 2023, 04:54:23 AM »
$338 - ASUS 17.3" laptop with i3-1220P, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD.
Stellar price on 17" especially. Also, the 1220P is a 28W processor with more e-cores than the standard 15W i3, and actually matches or outperforms the i5 15W (which has the same number of cores).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-17-3-Full-HD-Intel-Core-i3-1220P-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Silver-Windows-11-Laptop-K1703ZA-WH34/388412236

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4819vs4765vs5089/Intel-i3-1220P-vs-Intel-i5-1235U-vs-Intel-i5-1240U

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: April 26, 2023, 05:15:22 PM »
What does she need? Although you don't generally save much money on Macs...
Hi, any good deals for a newer i7 with 32gb ram and 256 ssd.  Prefers a touchscreen and good resolution.
Need 2 of them.
Tia

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13797 on: April 27, 2023, 04:18:27 AM »
Hi, any good deals for a newer i7 with 32gb ram and 256 ssd.  Prefers a touchscreen and good resolution.
Need 2 of them.
Tia
Gonna havta be more specific than that.
A) Laptop, I assume, because you talked about the screen. Size of said laptop? Does weight and/or battery life matter?
B) "Newer i7" Maybe others can help you with that, but I don't operate in marketing labels. You need lots of cores? You need more than average cores? You need fast cores in monster laptops or 15W cores are enough? Or perhaps you just need the i7 sticker on your laptop because, I dunno, your boss will expect it? (This is a legit reason, by the way.  :D)
C) Do you want to pay the manufacturer quadruple for your RAM, or are you willing to buy an upgradeable model and upgrade yourself?

PS I am genuinely asking, not being snarky (at least I hope). Ask as many questions as you like and give me as much detail as possible.

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: April 27, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »
Gonna havta be more specific than that.
A) Laptop, I assume, because you talked about the screen. Size of said laptop? Does weight and/or battery life matter?
B) "Newer i7" Maybe others can help you with that, but I don't operate in marketing labels. You need lots of cores? You need more than average cores? You need fast cores in monster laptops or 15W cores are enough? Or perhaps you just need the i7 sticker on your laptop because, I dunno, your boss will expect it? (This is a legit reason, by the way.  :D)
C) Do you want to pay the manufacturer quadruple for your RAM, or are you willing to buy an upgradeable model and upgrade yourself?

PS I am genuinely asking, not being snarky (at least I hope). Ask as many questions as you like and give me as much detail as possible.
15.6 inches preferred. weight doesnt matter and neither does batt life
not sure of actual need but they are building websites  "Touch screen, with a good resolution so we can vet new web features properly."
i can upgrade the ram myself.

i am passing along info from someone else and i dont have much detail. also, they dont need to be brand new.
Thanks!