Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3211184 times)

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #13900 on: July 04, 2023, 12:13:53 AM »
Howell, NJ Walmart just lowered the price on this to $339 (was $949).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Nitro-5-15-6-Full-HD-IPS-144Hz-Display-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-11400H-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3050Ti-Laptop-GPU-16GB-DDR4-512GB-NVMe-SSD-Windows-11-Ho/607988022?

It's possibly still in stock in the store even though it says out of stock in Howell on the product page. The inventory count online is often off.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #13901 on: July 04, 2023, 12:57:36 AM »
Howell, NJ Walmart just lowered the price on this to $339 (was $949).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Nitro-5-15-6-Full-HD-IPS-144Hz-Display-11th-Gen-Intel-Core-i5-11400H-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3050Ti-Laptop-GPU-16GB-DDR4-512GB-NVMe-SSD-Windows-11-Ho/607988022?
Stellar deal if you can get it. Good for low-end gaming on high settings (but not really high-end gaming on low settings) and high-end graphic design except 3D graphics.
Al regel achas:
Pros: Decent battery life (6-7 hours office work at least) - Two M2 slots that support RAID and also 1 2.5" slot for cheap storage
Cons: Very heavy for the specs - Can be gaudy for some, check the pics

Important Walmart (and Newegg, Amazon) rule: If the seller isn't Walmart (Newegg, Amazon), don't buy unless you are prepared to return it because the seller scammed you. I don't even bother with marketplace sellers these days.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #13902 on: July 04, 2023, 10:35:15 AM »
Re: HP's 4th of July sale as posted on DD.
I left a comment there; crossposting here as well.
Got around to trawling for another customer and came across this AMD deal, which is really terrific. Surprised not to see it on the post.
15.6" Hp with Ryzen 5 7530 is only $350, Ryzen 7 is $100 more, upgrade to 16GB of RAM for $80. Add touch for $40. 256GB SSD is $20. These are all good prices, with or without any or all upgrades.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345620681323&urlLangId=&quantity=1

Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13903 on: July 06, 2023, 05:58:21 AM »
Swift 3 from Costco for $515 shipped ($500 in store). i5-1240P (28W, really super), 16GB RAM, 512GB. Thin and light, built well, highly recommended as a daily driver.
https://www.costco.com/acer-swift-3-14%22-intel-evo-platform-laptop---12th-gen-intel-i5-1240p----1080p---windows-11.product.100973090.html

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13904 on: July 07, 2023, 12:19:30 PM »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13905 on: July 09, 2023, 05:14:13 AM »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13906 on: July 09, 2023, 05:21:40 AM »
https://computers.woot.com/offers/asus-tuf-dash-15-ultra-slim-gaming-laptop-1?ref=w_cnt_cdet_pc_dly_tl
ASUS TUF Dash 15 on sale at Woot for $800. You CAN do better than the specs it offers, so let me tell you why you may consider it and why you shouldn't:
Pros: Light for its class. Space for 2 M2 SSDs. Probably decent battery life, though this is a guess. Has the coveted i7 sticker (but see cons).
Cons: Underpowered for gamers, and underpowered for those who require high CPU performance. No number pad. No webcam. This is an old 35W i7 that was designed for budget gaming laptops (which the TUF Dash is not, technically). The true i7 of that generation was the 11800H, which has DOUBLE the cores.

Who should consider this? A photo or video editor who is: A) On a budget B) Requires a 15.6" screen but doesn't need a number pad/webcam, and needs something fairly portable
(That is, you can do better for A) more money or B)don't need such a large screen or C)don't need it to be so light.)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13907 on: July 09, 2023, 05:36:46 AM »
https://computers.woot.com/offers/asus-tuf-dash-15-ultra-slim-gaming-laptop-1?ref=w_cnt_cdet_pc_dly_tl
ASUS TUF Dash 15 on sale at Woot for $800. You CAN do better than the specs it offers, so let me tell you why you may consider it and why you shouldn't:
Pros: Light for its class. Space for 2 M2 SSDs. Probably decent battery life, though this is a guess. Has the coveted i7 sticker (but see cons).
Cons: Underpowered for gamers, and underpowered for those who require high CPU performance. No number pad. No webcam. This is an old 35W i7 that was designed for budget gaming laptops (which the TUF Dash is not, technically). The true i7 of that generation was the 11800H, which has DOUBLE the cores.

Who should consider this? A photo or video editor who is: A) On a budget B) Requires a 15.6" screen but doesn't need a number pad/webcam, and needs something fairly portable
(That is, you can do better for A) more money or B)don't need such a large screen or C)don't need it to be so light.)
And found something better. $830 for an Inspiron 16 Plus. You should get slightly worse battery life (but still decent), in exchange for a normal 12th gen i7 and the same graphics. Still doesn't have a number pad. You can still do better if you don't need the light weight.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/gkj5
Review here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Inspiron-16-Plus-7620-review-The-do-it-all-multimedia-laptop.640819.0.html

Offline sol19

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 32
    • View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13909 on: July 09, 2023, 11:48:41 AM »
Lenovo Legion 5 15.6" FHD Gaming Laptop Ryzen 7 5800H RTX 3050Ti, 32GB Ram, 2TB SSD $501.14
Buy this only if you are prepared to return it. There is something wrong with the listing - Amazon (the listed seller) does not upgrade computers. That means - you will either recieve the computer not from Amazon, upgraded by a seller who may not have the credentials and who knows what he put in there - OR, you will get the Amazon computer but with less RAM (probably 8GB, maybe 16GB) and a smaller SSD (likely 512GB, 1TB if you are lucky).

Having said that, it IS a good deal even if you get the least possible specs provided it is being sold by Amazon and not some crook. So as I said, be on your toes.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13910 on: July 09, 2023, 11:51:34 AM »
$539 - MSI Modern 14 with Ryzen 7 (8 cores), 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD.
This computer has great processing power and excellent battery life. It is very heavy for its size (3.75lbs), but is built like a tank.
(Has Newegg's price protection guarantee.)

https://www.newegg.com/classic-black-msi-modern-14-c7m-048us-work-business/p/N82E16834156444?

Offline sol19

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #13911 on: July 09, 2023, 11:57:16 AM »
Buy this only if you are prepared to return it. There is something wrong with the listing - Amazon (the listed seller) does not upgrade computers. That means - you will either recieve the computer not from Amazon, upgraded by a seller who may not have the credentials and who knows what he put in there - OR, you will get the Amazon computer but with less RAM (probably 8GB, maybe 16GB) and a smaller SSD (likely 512GB, 1TB if you are lucky).

Having said that, it IS a good deal even if you get the least possible specs provided it is being sold by Amazon and not some crook. So as I said, be on your toes.

Yes, this is sold by Amazon, and the "Original Seal is opened for upgrade ONLY."
You can always just reimage the laptop.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13912 on: July 09, 2023, 12:01:16 PM »

Enjoying this:

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13913 on: July 09, 2023, 12:02:55 PM »
Yes, this is sold by Amazon, and the "Original Seal is opened for upgrade ONLY."
You can always just reimage the laptop.
A previous seller was selling this laptop upgraded. Amazon doesn't.
Look, you don't have to believe me. Feel free to buy it - it's a good deal even with original specs - and take it up with Amazon after. Maybe they'll give you a further discount. Be sure to take a screenshot of the listing in case they fix it.

Offline itunes

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #13915 on: July 09, 2023, 09:16:42 PM »
@mevinyavin what do you think of this? https://www.microcenter.com/product/663100/lenovo-ideapad-3-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey?storeID=115
Still this if you have a Micro Center near you (in-store only).
https://www.microcenter.com/product/663100/lenovo-ideapad-3-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey

This one will ship and is decent value for its price.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/666315/lenovo-ideapad-3-14itl05-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey

I rarely see anything better, even though the hardware is old, because for office work even the first one is plenty fast.
$200 is a clearance price considering how long the model exists (processor is from Q4 2020). If they shipped it it would be sold out almost instantly. The price will last until they run out of them or until they let people buy it by shipping, at least I think so. (I may be wrong, as it is surprising that the i5 version for $300/$330 is still in stock and you can ship that one.)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13917 on: July 10, 2023, 03:54:49 AM »
How does it compare to this Refurbished ideapad Flex 5 for $268?
https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/p/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-flex-series/ideapad-flex-5i-gen-7-(14-inch-intel)/82r7x012us?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fslickdeals.net%252F&org=&clickid=Rm-RGn06TxyPRLIQVdReWWjjUkFz3RyUE25EXE0&irgwc=1&PID=10451&acid=ww%3Aaffiliate%3Abv0as6&cid=us%3Aaffiliate%3Acxsaam
In a general sense, it is a better computer - with the following caveats:
-Refurb may or may not have an unused battery, though to be fair it probably should have a new one
-2-in-1 is technically a structural deficiency. If you don't need it, buy one without it
-8GB of RAM is soldered and cannot be upgraded. Although good for the price, you are burning a bridge, and some people find 8GB to be insufficient even for office work. (Some don't.) The $200 Ideapad's RAM is upgradeable.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13918 on: July 10, 2023, 04:57:01 AM »
Cheap Dell Latitude on the Woot app today $80-$100. Decent for the price but note this is plastic, not metal. RAM should be upgradeable. 13" is rare at this price.
@jj1000

https://www.woot.com/offers/dell-latitude-3380-13-business-laptop?utm_campaign=Daily%2bDigest%2b10%2b07%2b23&ref=eml&utm_source=Daily%2bDigest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=app_1&utm_content=Subheader-B&ref_=pe_3185080_735728080

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #13919 on: July 10, 2023, 09:58:05 AM »
Cheap Dell Latitude on the Woot app today $80-$100. Decent for the price but note this is plastic, not metal. RAM should be upgradeable. 13" is rare at this price.
@jj1000

https://www.woot.com/offers/dell-latitude-3380-13-business-laptop?utm_campaign=Daily%2bDigest%2b10%2b07%2b23&ref=eml&utm_source=Daily%2bDigest&utm_medium=email&utm_term=app_1&utm_content=Subheader-B&ref_=pe_3185080_735728080
We usually avoid refurbished items.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)