Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3186328 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #14120 on: November 05, 2023, 07:12:43 AM »
Legion 5 with modern Ryzen 7 7735HS and RTX 4060 (140W) for $900 from antonline at ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126112806945
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14121 on: November 05, 2023, 09:53:13 AM »
LG Gram 16, 28W i5-1340P, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, $729.
Weighs 2.64lbs, 2.5K screen (16", not 15.6").
Battery (according to manufacturer): 80 Wh Li-Ion MobileMark 2018: 14.5 hr Video playback: 23.5 hr JEITA 2.0: 24.5 hr

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/LG16Z90RKAAS6U1/LG-gram-16-Lightweight-Laptop-Intel-i5-1340P-16GB-RAM512GB-SSD-Gray

ASUS productivity laptop, 35W i7-13620H, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD, RTX 3050 (6GB), $800.
Manufacturer says 10 hours battery life (surely when not using graphics), weighs 3.97lbs.
A bit nisht ahin, nisht aher, but a good match for someone who will use the graphics without needing something more robust and wants portability (relatively speaking). (Photoshop pros?) To that end, it still has an SD card slot. Screen is 1080p, though the color is good and the brightness is officially 550nits (no, you won't get 10 hours if you use that).
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-oled-laptop-intel-core-i7-13620h-nvidia-rtx3050-6gb-with-16gb-memory-512gb-ssd-black-black/6534577.p?skuId=6534577&intl=nosplash
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14122 on: November 07, 2023, 05:14:00 AM »
Currently have acer swift 3
Looking for another laptop in the same price range $300-500

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14123 on: November 07, 2023, 05:16:21 AM »
Currently have acer swift 3
Looking for another laptop in the same price range $300-500
14" metal portable + battery life?
(Part of the problem is that the Swift 3 has been underpriced for years, and these days it is back to where it should be and slightly more than your budget. Still worth it IMHO but something else may be cheaper.)

Offline nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #14124 on: November 07, 2023, 05:25:26 AM »
14" metal portable + battery life?
(Part of the problem is that the Swift 3 has been underpriced for years, and these days it is back to where it should be and slightly more than your budget. Still worth it IMHO but something else may be cheaper.)
exactly.
Also need backlit keyboard and the letters prefer on a black keyboard (the white on grey is difficult to see)

https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---13th-gen-intel-core-i3-1315u---1080p---windows-11.product.4000209051.html

Is this a good option?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14125 on: November 07, 2023, 06:47:47 AM »
exactly.
Also need backlit keyboard and the letters prefer on a black keyboard (the white on grey is difficult to see)

https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---13th-gen-intel-core-i3-1315u---1080p---windows-11.product.4000209051.html

Is this a good option?
Regular price except a bit more RAM than usual and the extra Costco warranty. Also, it is plastic (assuming) and the battery life will be underwhelming.
Let me look around a bit.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14126 on: November 07, 2023, 07:51:35 AM »
@nafnaf12 If you don't mind plastic the Costco model is okay, but I would get this one straight from HP. (It starts at $350 but these days you should upgrade the RAM for $60). The AMD version should result in better battery life. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345620681322&urlLangId=&quantity=1&color=jet%20black

If you still want a metal build, the Pavilion Plus with a more modern Ryzen 5 (the one above has a 7530 - the 3 represents Zen 3 architecture - and this one has a Ryzen 5 7540 - the 4 represents Zen 4 architecture). It already has 16GB RAM, a brighter screen, and more storage, but it costs $500. I can't seem to find any reviews on the AMD version (the Intel version has "not enough battery life" but comes with a power-draining screen this one doesn't have). This should be the right review (but again, better screen), though I can't see it:

In case you were wondering, last gen's Swift runs $570 at B&H. The current gen Swift (now called the Swift Go) averages around $800, but there are better computers to buy once you are spending that much.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1757769-REG/acer_sf314_512_53l0_14_swift_3_laptop.html/specs

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14127 on: November 07, 2023, 10:56:17 AM »
Looking for something basic for my just out of school daughter; mostly word / email usage.  Is this a reasonable buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-3i-15-6-fhd-touch-laptop-core-i3-1115g4-with-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-arctic-grey/6549066.p?skuId=6549066

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14128 on: November 07, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
Looking for something basic for my just out of school daughter; mostly word / email usage.  Is this a reasonable buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-3i-15-6-fhd-touch-laptop-core-i3-1115g4-with-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-arctic-grey/6549066.p?skuId=6549066
Yes.
But - are you near a Micro Center?
This if you don't need storage (hint: plenty for school documents but not enough for storing all her pictures/ videos ad hasof).
https://www.microcenter.com/product/669386/lenovo-ideapad-3-14itl05-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey

This is significantly better than Best Buy and cheaper:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/671050/lenovo-ideapad-1-14-laptop-computer-cloud-grey

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14129 on: November 07, 2023, 12:30:56 PM »
No, I'm not near a MicroCenter.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14130 on: November 07, 2023, 03:20:17 PM »
@mevinyavin
Thanks for all your advice

I bought the dell inspiron 15 mentioned earlier and I really dislike it. It is slow and often the mouse will disappear and or will get stuck in one spot, so I'm looking for a new model. I also noticed the screen is very different than my spectre, the spectre has a smartphone like screen, while the dell is grainy. Can you help me out with the technical term for the screen so I can find something similar?
Dell Inspiron 3535 15.6" with touch screen, Ryzen 5 7530U, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD - $330 at Best Buy.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-3535-touch-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-amd-radeon-8gb-memory-512gb-ssd-carbon-black/6559387.p?skuId=6559387

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 03:31:29 PM by MoYS »

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: November 07, 2023, 04:13:09 PM »
How does the Dell Latitude compare with HP Probooks and Elitebooks?

Asking in general, as well as particularly regarding durability.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14132 on: November 08, 2023, 03:10:02 AM »
@mevinyavin
Thanks for all your advice

I bought the dell inspiron 15 mentioned earlier and I really dislike it. It is slow and often the mouse will disappear and or will get stuck in one spot, so I'm looking for a new model. I also noticed the screen is very different than my spectre, the spectre has a smartphone like screen, while the dell is grainy. Can you help me out with the technical term for the screen so I can find something similar?
Thanks
The model of the Spectre would help. The slowness is odd and the touchpad sounds like you may have gotten a lemon (though it may be the sensitivity settings), but I understand if you don't want to try the same again.
Depending on how old the Spectre was, it may be just the resolution or it may be the screen tech (IPS versus OLED).

Offline nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #14133 on: November 08, 2023, 03:13:03 AM »
@nafnaf12 If you don't mind plastic the Costco model is okay, but I would get this one straight from HP. (It starts at $350 but these days you should upgrade the RAM for $60). The AMD version should result in better battery life. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345620681322&urlLangId=&quantity=1&color=jet%20black

If you still want a metal build, the Pavilion Plus with a more modern Ryzen 5 (the one above has a 7530 - the 3 represents Zen 3 architecture - and this one has a Ryzen 5 7540 - the 4 represents Zen 4 architecture). It already has 16GB RAM, a brighter screen, and more storage, but it costs $500. I can't seem to find any reviews on the AMD version (the Intel version has "not enough battery life" but comes with a power-draining screen this one doesn't have). This should be the right review (but again, better screen), though I can't see it:

In case you were wondering, last gen's Swift runs $570 at B&H. The current gen Swift (now called the Swift Go) averages around $800, but there are better computers to buy once you are spending that much.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1757769-REG/acer_sf314_512_53l0_14_swift_3_laptop.html/specs
thank you!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: November 08, 2023, 03:14:36 AM »
How does the Dell Latitude compare with HP Probooks and Elitebooks?

Asking in general, as well as particularly regarding durability.
HP thinks that the Elitebook is par with the Latitude. The Probook is more analogous with the Vostro (though I think the Probooks are better).
3000 series Latitudes are still plastic, though, so I can't imagine they are more durable than anything made out of better material. If you are spending money on something more durable, I recommend you find a store so you can see one in person.
-HP Elitebooks
-Lenovo Thinkpad T, Z or X series (but no 2-in-1s)
-Dell Latitude 5xxxx or 7xxxx
The latter two (Thinkpad/Latitude) have a better reputation than the former as per the PC technicians I know.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14135 on: November 08, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
Cheapest photoshop laptop I've seen in a long time. Excellent for light gaming, too.
HP Victus 156 with 35W Ryzen 5 7535HS, RTX 2050, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD. This range normally only includes integrated graphics and the occasional GTX 1650 which is very old. You'll want to upgrade the RAM.
$450 at Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-victus-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-7535hs-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2050-512gb-ssd-mica-silver/6541840.p?skuId=6541840

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: November 08, 2023, 11:28:36 AM »
14" laptop sleeve at Lenovo for $7. Looks like free shipping.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/cases-and-bags/sleeves/gx41d07809

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14139 on: November 09, 2023, 03:46:03 AM »
This is significantly better than Best Buy and cheaper:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/671050/lenovo-ideapad-1-14-laptop-computer-cloud-grey
Just want to emphasize this for anyone who is near a Micro Center. This is $250 for a Lenovo Ideapad 1 with a Ryzen 5 5500U, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD.