Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3186287 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #14260 on: December 19, 2023, 12:38:16 AM »
Nice deal:
Posted seven posts up.  ;)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14261 on: December 19, 2023, 05:58:33 AM »
Gram 17 for $1000 is back, this time with 32GB of RAM.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-gram-17-laptop-intel-evo-platform-13th-gen-intel-core-i7-with-32gb-ram-1tb-nvme-ssd-black/6559122.p?skuId=6559122
Want to have your cake and have more cake? For $200 more, .2 lbs more, and 16GB of RAM less, you can also have a RTX 3050 (4GB). I also assume the battery life will take a significant hit.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1756935-REG/lg_17z90r_a_aab7u1_17_gram_pro_laptop.html/specs
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14262 on: December 19, 2023, 10:56:24 AM »
Two lighter 15.6"/16" laptops on sale at Amazon by Amazon for $600. Both ship to IL for around $755 after Maam and shipping, a VERY good price here.
The Zenbook is lighter and probably built better, has a bit smaller screen and 6-core Ryzen 5 7535U (Zen 3+). The LG is not a Gram so it weighs 3.5 lbs (still very good for 16"), slightly bigger screen, and 8-core Ryzen 7 7730 (Zen 3).
ASUS Zenbook 15 Laptop, 15.6” FHD Display, AMD Ryzen 5 7535U CPU, AMD Radeon Graphics, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 11 Home, Ponder Blue, UM3504DA-AS54

LG UltraPC 16U7R Laptop, 16” IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 7 7730U Processor, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Webcam, , HDMI, Type-C, Wi-Fi 6, Windows 11 Home, Gray )

« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 11:05:41 AM by mevinyavin »

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14263 on: December 19, 2023, 11:32:04 AM »
Cheapest RTX 4080 I've seen - $1600. Probably because I never look in those price ranges. But whatever. Also 12th gen i9 45W.
https://www.newegg.com/core-black-msi-gp-series-vector-gp68-12vh-006-gaming/p/N82E16834156475?Item=N82E16834156475&SoldByNewegg=1

Offline Benn

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14264 on: December 19, 2023, 12:43:15 PM »
$607 - Thinkpad T14S with Ryzen 5 5650U, 8GB upgradeable RAM, 256GB SSD. For @Benn if he wants Lenovo's famous keyboard. Do NOT buy the cheaper versions from the snake-oil salesmen, only the one sold by Newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000J-018C7?Item=2WC-000J-018C7&SoldByNewegg=1
I bought the Thinkpad on Newegg and I forgot to choose expediated shipping, so they told me the only way is to cancel the order and order again. so I did that, and the second payment got through, but then they blocked my account and they cancelled my second order. They say that I'll get a full refund in 3-4 business days, should I trust them with a third payment?
They have pretty bad reviews, 1.5-2.3 stars out of 5.
There is also a %15 off promo code if paying with Affirm, I don't have an Affirm account, are they trustworthy?

Offline Benn

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14266 on: December 19, 2023, 04:46:09 PM »
ThinkPad TrackPoint bluetooth Keyboard II (US English) is now $75 on Lenovo Website (usually $100)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14267 on: December 20, 2023, 03:30:55 AM »
ThinkPad T14 Gen 4 AMD (14″) - Thunder Black AMD Ryzen™ 5 PRO 7540U windows 11 pro 16 RAM 256 - $789
@Benn - This one is a decent price and has newer hardware than the one I sent you. Maybe it is worth the extra $180.
I bought the Thinkpad on Newegg and I forgot to choose expediated shipping, so they told me the only way is to cancel the order and order again. so I did that, and the second payment got through, but then they blocked my account and they cancelled my second order. They say that I'll get a full refund in 3-4 business days, should I trust them with a third payment?
They have pretty bad reviews, 1.5-2.3 stars out of 5.
There is also a %15 off promo code if paying with Affirm, I don't have an Affirm account, are they trustworthy?
Regarding Newegg, I don't see ANY reviews so I don't know what you are referring to. Cancellations and account flags are usually decided by some algorithm, and you have to admit that creating a new account, placing an order, cancelling the order and then placing it again (even at the advice of a Newegg rep) qualifies as a flag according to a dumb computer. My trust of Newegg goes for $20,000 worth of orders over more than 15 years, and they've flagged my orders too on occasion. A time or two there was a genuine problem with an item and they took care of it (maybe because I only buy good items). (One particularly bad one was a defective laptop sent to IL, and they took it back for a full refund three months later, no questions asked.) But you can do what you want.
I know absolutely nothing about Affirm, so I can't help you with that.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14269 on: December 20, 2023, 08:58:06 AM »
@mevinyavin how good a deal is this?

Amazon: ASUS ROG Flow Z13 (2022) Gaming Laptop Tablet, 13.4” 120Hz IPS Type FHD 16:10 Display, Intel Core i5-12500H CPU, 16GB LPDDR5, 512GB PCIe SSD, Free Bundle Detachable RGB Keyboard, GZ301ZA-PS53, Black

Does the ROG cooling help with the thermal issues of the 12th gen intel processors?
I never understood the point of this model without the external GPU. It doesn't get good battery life. Some reviewers say it doesn't run hot and some complain it does (though it is hard to impossible to find reviews on a model without dedicated graphics), but all note that the processor is limited to 50W and this limits it (most larger computers give it 100W). Officially it has a sophisticated "vapor chamber" cooling.
I don't see it. There are many companies who have managed to make Intel's processors run cool and get good battery life - why would you want to choose this one? The Zenbook 14X we both posted is a good example.

Offline Benn

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14270 on: December 20, 2023, 11:48:06 AM »
Is this like a 2 in 1 laptop, which I can either use their keyboard or connect a different one by bluetooth?
ASUS ROG Flow Z13 (2022) Gaming Laptop Tablet, 13.4” 120Hz IPS Type FHD 16:10 Display, Intel Core i5-12500H CPU, 16GB LPDDR5, 512GB PCIe SSD, Free Bundle Detachable RGB Keyboard, GZ301ZA-PS53, Black - $600 on Amazon? If yes, is this a good deal?

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14271 on: December 20, 2023, 11:48:37 AM »
Lenovo Slim 7i 14 Evo, i7-1260P (28W), 16GB RAM (soldered), TB SSD, $600 at Micro Center and this one actually ships.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/649367/lenovo-slim-7i-140-intel-evo-platform-laptop-computer-grey

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14272 on: December 20, 2023, 11:49:28 AM »
Is this like a 2 in 1 laptop, which I can either use their keyboard or connect a different one by bluetooth?
ASUS ROG Flow Z13 (2022) Gaming Laptop Tablet, 13.4” 120Hz IPS Type FHD 16:10 Display, Intel Core i5-12500H CPU, 16GB LPDDR5, 512GB PCIe SSD, Free Bundle Detachable RGB Keyboard, GZ301ZA-PS53, Black - $600 on Amazon? If yes, is this a good deal?
Yes to the first question, no to the second IMHO. It is heavy for a tablet if you just need a poshut computer.

Offline Benn

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14273 on: December 20, 2023, 07:05:33 PM »
A steal of a deal?
Lenovo Notebook ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Laptop, 14" FHD IPS Low Power, vPro®, UHD Graphics, GB, 512GB SSD
- $515
Sold in Newegg from the Lenovo store "This product is being sold direct from the manufacturer"
Pretty vague about details and specs

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14274 on: December 21, 2023, 09:21:09 AM »
A steal of a deal?
Lenovo Notebook ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Laptop, 14" FHD IPS Low Power, vPro®, UHD Graphics, GB, 512GB SSD
- $515
Sold in Newegg from the Lenovo store "This product is being sold direct from the manufacturer"
Pretty vague about details and specs
Up to 11th gen i7? Sure. Who is stealing from who, though?
All kidding aside, I concede it will work okay, and you get a Thinkpad T-series case which is something. Just seems like a waste of cash unless your money doesn't stretch further.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: December 21, 2023, 09:30:38 PM »
Down to $1k new $800 open box excellent.

I'm all for this

That’s a pretty big discount for OBE, does that mean they’re getting lots of returns?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: December 22, 2023, 02:32:34 AM »
Interesting theory. I don't know :)

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #14278 on: January 01, 2024, 08:47:23 PM »
Any thoughts on this one?
https://www.amazon.com/HP-i3-1125G4-i5-1035G4-Bluetooth-Accessories/dp/B0C33KJV5N/ref=sr_1_1

For a friend specifically looking for 17"
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: January 01, 2024, 10:25:00 PM »
Any thoughts on this one?
https://www.amazon.com/HP-i3-1125G4-i5-1035G4-Bluetooth-Accessories/dp/B0C33KJV5N/ref=sr_1_1

For a friend specifically looking for 17"
No
I wouldn't buy from a random 3rd party on amazon. And we can get similar for cheaper, for example https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-3-hd-laptop-amd-ryzen-3-7320u-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-natural-silver/6554443.p?skuId=6554443, add the ram yourself (which is probably what they did).
The screen is less than FHD, that's a dealbreaker