Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3247346 times)

Offline gmd

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #14500 on: March 06, 2024, 07:41:09 PM »
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-14-2-in-1-laptop/spd/inspiron-14-7430-2-in-1-laptop/usi2hbts7430gghh
Down to $679. Lowest I've seen.
How far of a drop-off is there from the i7 to the i5, if I don't need the additional storage?

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 08:12:31 AM by mevinyavin »
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #14502 on: March 07, 2024, 07:09:02 AM »
How far of a drop-off is there from the i7 to the i5, if I don't need the additional storage?
If they both end with a 'U' and are in the same generation, the drop-off pertains to the integrated graphics - they are otherwise functionally identical. If they both end with a 'P' and in the same generation, there are more cores in the i7.
For basic office work you won't see the difference.
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: March 07, 2024, 08:58:27 AM »
Vivobook 14 with older Zen 2 processor, 8GB non-upgradeable RAM, 256GB SSD, $280. If your needs are conservative, you should get excellent battery life out of it.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivobook-go-14-fhd-laptop-amd-ryzen-3-7320u-up-to-4-1ghz-with-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-mixed-black/6549406.p?skuId=6549406

Online DaasTora

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14504 on: March 07, 2024, 02:25:34 PM »
An excellent price for an Evo Edition laptop.
@jj1000

Online DaasTora

• View Profile
« Reply #14505 on: March 09, 2024, 10:19:37 PM »
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 11:34:16 PM by DaasTora »

Offline baron

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: March 09, 2024, 10:56:42 PM »
Gram 17 back at $1000. 13th gen i7, 32GB RAM, TB SSD.
Currently out of stock by my area/shipping, but worth checking back if in the market for a 3lb 17" laptop with great battery life. (OPBx doesn't seem worth it IMHO.)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-gram-17-laptop-intel-evo-platform-13th-gen-intel-core-i7-with-32gb-ram-1tb-nvme-ssd-black/6559122.p?skuId=6559122

Price is likely due to the 14th Gen (Meteor Lake) powered LG Gram laptops hitting the market. How do you think those compare?

Your analysis of the previous intel generations was very compelling, so I'm curious and grateful to get your take.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #14508 on: March 09, 2024, 11:03:16 PM »
Any idea how long after new product is released? Do they tend to go on sale?  For example the new MacBook air m3 chip.
 Debating if the m2 will go cheaper now or the m3 will go on sale in the next few months?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online DaasTora

• View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: March 09, 2024, 11:32:40 PM »

Huh?
The sale price is on Windows 11 home only.

Offline baron

• View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: March 10, 2024, 12:43:06 AM »
The sale price is on Windows 11 home only.
Thanks. Itís a great price. Especially with multiple plat credits. It has gone for 549 end of Jan-early Feb, but now you have the 10% amex offerÖ (never forget the 10% by newsletter signup)

Offline baron

• View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: March 10, 2024, 06:18:27 AM »
Price is likely due to the 14th Gen (Meteor Lake) powered LG Gram laptops hitting the market. How do you think those compare?

Your analysis of the previous intel generations was very compelling, so I'm curious and grateful to get your take.
I assume you refer to Core Ultra 1st gen (Meteor Lake, as you said), because in laptops, 14th gen processors are something else.
So far the reviewers are impressed regarding the efficiency but unimpressed regarding performance. Not that the people like us need the performance. Still, doesn't seem to be phenomenally better - the 13th gen's efficiency is much better than the 12th. I wouldn't wait for Meteor Lake as of now.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: March 10, 2024, 10:23:10 AM »
I assume you refer to Core Ultra 1st gen (Meteor Lake, as you said), because in laptops, 14th gen processors are something else.

You mean this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2220892/intel-14th-gen-core-ultra-vs-core-hx-which-should-you-buy.html

?? So confusing on Intelís part, sooner or later Iíll get used to it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 10:40:48 AM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: March 10, 2024, 10:42:00 AM »
You mean this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2220892/intel-14th-gen-core-ultra-vs-core-hx-which-should-you-buy.html

?? So confusing on Intelís part, sooner or later Iíll get used to it.
Doesn't help that some retail stores are also writing (14th gen) by Meteor Lake processors. They don't know, either...

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: March 12, 2024, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: March 12, 2024, 09:57:08 PM »
Seems okay. I like the 3yr warranty particularly. But not stupendous.

I think I agree.
The swift at $700 or the elitebook at $350 are better bang for your buck.

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: March 12, 2024, 10:35:00 PM »
I'm selling this exact open box Lenovo flex 5 for $400, P/U in Lakewood.
https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/p/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-flex-series/ideapad-flex-5-gen-7-(14-inch-amd)/82r90069us
It's about the price I paid then after tax (price has since gone up). Never used. Arrived less than 2 weeks ago and intended to return, but I didn't realize they count 14 days from the ship date rather than the arrival date.

Ryzen 5 5500u
16 GB ram
1 TB SSD
2.2k 100% sRGB touchscreen 300 nits (significantly better than the standard FHD or WUXGA 45% NTSC, 250 nits screen that usually comes with the flex 5)
1080p camera
Wifi 6
Lenovo warranties follow the device, not the purchaser, so the warranty remains is in effect.

PM if interested.

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: March 16, 2024, 03:44:05 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/156017300417
Lenovo T16 with Ryzen 5, 16GB non-upgradeable RAM and 256GB SSD (upgradeable) for $711 from Lenovo at ebay. Excellent value if you want a computer to last (tartei demashma).