Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3212151 times)

Offline TorontoGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #9280 on: December 28, 2015, 09:35:50 PM »
ok. Thank you again.
Is Yehuda 25 (or is it 7?) around? Or one of the other geeks? I just want to hear what they have to say before I buy it (if possible).
If this is what you are looking for, its an excellent machine. I'm not sure about the pricing, as I never looked into these, however it seems to be fairly priced if you add all of the specs up.
It is going to be an excellent entertainment convertible. The i7 U series is powerful without consuming too much battery power, and with the 4 cell battery, you should be okay.
The SSD is a huge asset, especially when combined with that 8GB DDR3 RAM - you should get excellent start-up speed as well as fluid navigation. However you shouldn't plan on storing tons of files on a 256GB.
The only con I can think of is the fact that you are getting a convertible. If you only need a laptop, all the moving parts would personally scare me.

Enjoy!

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: December 28, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »
Am I a geek? I think so...  ;)

If you are looking for a small convertible this is a great product with a price lower than these toys usually go for.

(If you have a Chase Freedom card, we still have 10-11 Points Per Dollar At Amazon. So your total will be way less if you buy this same device from Amazon, here is it.)
Minor difference, the one on amazon is a windows 8. (upgradable though)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: December 28, 2015, 10:07:04 PM »
I understand that i7 is quicker than i5. How would you describe the difference between the generations of i5 (or i7)? Thanks.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: December 28, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »
What's the difference between a 2015 Accord and the 2016?
Same concept- each generation has newer technology. Thinner Lithography: leads to faster processing and less battery consumption. Larger L1 Cache: Its like having RAM closer to the actual place were the processing happens. Better GPU: The newer gens have a better integrated graphics card.

Go to ark.Intel.com and compare 2 processors that only differ in generation. You will see all the differences.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 28, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »
What's the difference between a 2015 Accord and the 2016?
Same concept- each generation has newer technology. Thinner Lithography: leads to faster processing and less battery consumption. Larger L1 Cache: Its like having RAM closer to the actual place were the processing happens. Better GPU: The newer gens have a better integrated graphics card.

Go to ark.Intel.com and compare 2 processors that only differ in generation. You will see all the differences.
Thanks! At that site, is a laptop considered a "desktop" or "mobile"?

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9285 on: December 28, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »
Mobile!!

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: December 28, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »
Mobile!!
Ok, I see what you're saying. There are an awful lot of versions/variations even in the same gen i5!
So, bottom line (for the non-geeks), there is a real difference between the gens. But the difference between i3 to i5, and i5 to i7 is greater than the difference between the gens. Is that right?

Online Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: December 28, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
If this is what you are looking for, its an excellent machine. I'm not sure about the pricing, as I never looked into these, however it seems to be fairly priced if you add all of the specs up.
It is going to be an excellent entertainment convertible. The i7 U series is powerful without consuming too much battery power, and with the 4 cell battery, you should be okay.
The SSD is a huge asset, especially when combined with that 8GB DDR3 RAM - you should get excellent start-up speed as well as fluid navigation. However you shouldn't plan on storing tons of files on a 256GB.
The only con I can think of is the fact that you are getting a convertible. If you only need a laptop, all the moving parts would personally scare me.

Enjoy!
Thanks everybody.
I really have no need for a convertible. But I haven't been able to find anything with similar specs close to this price. Spec I need are small, light, ssd (128 is fine but prefer 256), backlit keyboard, decent battery, quality processor.
So you think I'll be able to come up with that within a few weeks? I've been looking for a couple of months already and starting to get desperate.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: December 28, 2015, 10:30:50 PM »
Ok, I see what you're saying. There are an awful lot of versions/variations even in the same gen i5!
So, bottom line (for the non-geeks), there is a real difference between the gens. But the difference between i3 to i5, and i5 to i7 is greater than the difference between the gens. Is that right?
As of now, yes. However if next gen something big comes out the answer could change.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: December 28, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »
As of now, yes. However if next gen something big comes out the answer could change.
However when it comes to power consumption, the Generation makes a big difference. Compare 32nm Lithography to 12nm. That changed within 2 generations.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 28, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »
Understood. Thanks a lot!
I've always had Dells, and I've been pretty happy with the products and the service (extended warranty). Kind of like an old comfortable shoe...
What do you think of Dell in general? I know there are much more important variables, but for now that is my question.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: December 28, 2015, 10:35:10 PM »
What do you think of Dell in general? I know there are much more important variables, but for now that is my question.
Dell is so far the leading laptop brand.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: December 28, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »

Understood. Thanks a lot!
I've always had Dells, and I've been pretty happy with the products and the service (extended warranty). Kind of like an old comfortable shoe...

I am the exact same way! I always try to buy Dell. I have had very good experience with CS and even the sales.
Another biggy for me, is that I understand their naming conventions, so when looking around I always know what to compare/look for.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: December 28, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »

I am the exact same way! I always try to buy Dell. I have had very good experience with CS and even the sales.
Another biggy for me, is that I understand their naming conventions, so when looking around I always know what to compare/look for.
Oh, wow. Boruch shekivanti! And here I was ready to take a beating... ::)

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: December 28, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
Dell is so far the leading laptop brand.
The question is: do we pay a premium for that?

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: December 28, 2015, 10:41:06 PM »
The question is: do we pay a premium for that?
You will usually pay somewhat more for a Dell (although sometimes you could find really good deals on Dell's.) But if you are not on a tight budget I think it's worth it.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: December 28, 2015, 10:45:57 PM »
You will usually pay somewhat more for a Dell (although sometimes you could find really good deals on Dell's.) But if you are not on a tight budget I think it's worth it.
Ok, count me in on the Dell Deal Watch! Let's post here if we see any great deals.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: December 28, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »
What do you think of the Dell extended warranty? I love the fact that for any problem (real or imagined ;)), I can have the tech at my house within a day or 2 to fix it. I imagine that you techies don't have such a need for that, so it's not really worth it for you, but for us regular folks, it's great. I think the experts usually advise against these plans, but here it seems to make sense for me. What do you think?

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: December 28, 2015, 10:55:31 PM »
What do you think of the Dell extended warranty? I love the fact that for any problem (real or imagined ;)), I can have the tech at my house within a day or 2 to fix it. I imagine that you techies don't have such a need for that, so it's not really worth it for you, but for us regular folks, it's great. I think the experts usually advise against these plans, but here it seems to make sense for me. What do you think?
I don't know why anyone would advise against these. Usually the one time extended warranty payment would pay for a single IT visit. So as long as long as you aren't currently short for cash, I would invest in it. (Even I get it! It's cheaper to get the Protection then to replace a motherboard - which I have a habit of blowing!)

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9299 on: December 28, 2015, 11:06:11 PM »
I don't know why anyone would advise against these. Usually the one time extended warranty payment would pay for a single IT visit. So as long as long as you aren't currently short for cash, I would invest in it. (Even I get it! It's cheaper to get the Protection then to replace a motherboard - which I have a habit of blowing!)
Ok, so that's settled! :)