Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3152991 times)

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #7940 on: April 20, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
These computers are slower due to processor than hard drive..
Also worthy to take into account, this is a 14" laptop with a 1080p display, text will prob be pretty small...
That's the way it is with all laptops to save battery life
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: April 20, 2015, 11:00:14 AM »
Anyone know of a good deal for a laptop in the 450-600$ range that would be fast and good for business work (i will buy a warranty hopefully so it doesn't need to be top of the line in sturdiness but i would like it to work well)
Look for Lenovo ThinkPad with an i5-4200M processor or higher, these laptops aren't pretty but very sturdy and have much better processors than the ultrabook type processor. You should be able to find something under $550.

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:26 AM »
That's the way it is with all laptops to save battery life
Not all..
Its ridiculous that 90% of consumers don't realize that a "great" laptop with an i7 processor is way slower than a cheap i3 desktop!

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: April 20, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
Not all..
Its ridiculous that 90% of consumers don't realize that a "great" laptop with an i7 processor is way slower than a cheap i3 desktop!
And for some reason they love putting in 5400rpm HDD in most "high end" laptops

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
I have no issue with that because that isn't deceptive, paying top dollar for a weak i7 processor is. Most manufacturers barely give you the option of a standard processor anymore, it's insane

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: April 20, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »
I have no issue with that because that isn't deceptive, paying top dollar for a weak i7 processor is. Most manufacturers barely give you the option of a standard processor anymore, it's insane
It's not really deceptive it's just a waste and they do it because most consumers see i7 and jump on it either way

Offline clear thinker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »

It's not really deceptive it's just a waste and they do it because most consumers see i7 and jump on it either way
So what should I look for when taking an i7?
GHZ?

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: April 20, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »
Not all..
you should of told me that before you sold me the laptop, now it's too late
["-"]

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: April 20, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »
you should of told me that before you sold me the laptop, now it's too late
You Don't really have too many options, this is pretty much the i7 option on the market, HP has some with full processors but for some reason they always seem to have issues, same with Toshiba in my experience. If you want a really good processor you either need to spend a lot of time finding a good system and spend more or alternatively you can add an SSD. The annoying part is that the industry forced us to use these lower powered processors

Offline killamatic12

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: April 20, 2015, 08:47:49 PM »
Anyone know of a good deal for a laptop in the 450-600$ range that would be fast and good for business work (i will buy a warranty hopefully so it doesn't need to be top of the line in sturdiness but i would like it to work well)
Look for Lenovo ThinkPad with an i5-4200M processor or higher, these laptops aren't pretty but very sturdy and have much better processors than the ultrabook type processor. You should be able to find something under $550.
   I bought a Lenovo G500 (intel-core i5-i believe it was 4200)in the beginning of Jan 14. I've had problems with it. I don't download much on my computer so it can work faster. It just wasnt working right but I didnt know what the problem was. Then when I called in for a battery problem, ironically the laptop froze and when I tried turning it on, it wouldnt load. The tech guy tried many things and ultimately told me to send it in. After I hung up the phone it started working again. But again, there was definitely something wrong. They ended up changing a ton of things including the motherboard and it worked ok until a couple of months ago. It wasnt working properly again and eventually when it would go to sleep, it wouldnt start up again or when I shut down, it would shut down the programs and there would be a black screen but the fans would work and the green light AND the BATTERY light was on (even though it wasnt charging). When I would turn it on, it doesnt load until a restart. I'm out of warranty now but I complained and they are going to "fix the problem" free of charge. I'm hoping to sell it after I get it back because I'm afraid of more problems. So I'm not too sure about Lenovo's but their customer service is amazing so I would recommend a 3 yr warranty

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7950 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
You Don't really have too many options, this is pretty much the i7 option on the market, HP has some with full processors but for some reason they always seem to have issues, same with Toshiba in my experience. If you want a really good processor you either need to spend a lot of time finding a good system and spend more or alternatively you can add an SSD. The annoying part is that the industry forced us to use these lower powered processors
the reason for the lower powered processors is because now battery life mattes more, and they can say the processors are more efficient.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: April 20, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
   I bought a Lenovo G500 (intel-core i5-i believe it was 4200)in the beginning of Jan 14. I've had problems with it. I don't download much on my computer so it can work faster. It just wasnt working right but I didnt know what the problem was. Then when I called in for a battery problem, ironically the laptop froze and when I tried turning it on, it wouldnt load. The tech guy tried many things and ultimately told me to send it in. After I hung up the phone it started working again. But again, there was definitely something wrong. They ended up changing a ton of things including the motherboard and it worked ok until a couple of months ago. It wasnt working properly again and eventually when it would go to sleep, it wouldnt start up again or when I shut down, it would shut down the programs and there would be a black screen but the fans would work and the green light AND the BATTERY light was on (even though it wasnt charging). When I would turn it on, it doesnt load until a restart. I'm out of warranty now but I complained and they are going to "fix the problem" free of charge. I'm hoping to sell it after I get it back because I'm afraid of more problems. So I'm not too sure about Lenovo's but their customer service is amazing so I would recommend a 3 yr warranty

G500 is a lower end home machine, I was referring to the Lenovo ThinkPads which are business machines and much more powerful

Offline DH Data Recovery

• View Profile
« Reply #7952 on: April 20, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »
the reason for the lower powered processors is because now battery life mattes more, and they can say the processors are more efficient.
I don't find it to be more efficient, if it were really better they wouldn't be making desktops processors more and more powerful. Battery life is indeed better but I still believe an i7 should be an i7 not some weak variation of it,

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:09 PM »
I don't find it to be more efficient, if it were really better they wouldn't be making desktops processors more and more powerful. Battery life is indeed better but I still believe an i7 should be an i7 not some weak variation of it,
I agree 100%, unfortunately this is what the market is trending to.
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline clear thinker

• View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: April 21, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »

I agree 100%, unfortunately this is what the market is trending to.
Forgive my ignorance, but for what else should I look if I want to buy a good i7?
What makes it more powerful?

Offline Lazer

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Lenovo has the 3rd Generation Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Intel Core i5 14" LED Ultrabook Laptop (2015 model) for $725 with free shipping.
Weighs 2.9" lbs. and measures just 0.7" thin.

Intel Core i5-5200U 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 128GB SSD
14.0" (1920x1080), Intel HD 5500, 802.11ac, BT 4.0, Win 8.1 x64
Up to 10.9 hours with integrated RapidCharge battery (50Whr)
Weight Starting at 2.87 lbs / 0.70" thin
Speakers Dual speakers with Dolby® Home Theater®
Microphone Dual noise-canceling HD microphones
Ports 2 USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, HDMI, Headphone/Mic 3.5mm, FPR, Ethernet Extension

Enter passcode CPNJEPP to see the discounted price.
Link: http://shop.lenovo.com/perksoffer/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon?sb=:00000025:00003AE5:?affinity=perksoffer&passcode=CPNJEPP&nxjid=6548701751&AID=10383968&PID=404255&SID=423856_desktop&CJURL=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.lenovo.com%2Fperksoffer%2Fus%2Fen%2Flaptops%2Fthinkpad%2Fx-series%2Fx1-carbon%3Fsb%3D%3A00000025%3A00003AE5%3A%3Faffinity%3Dperksoffer%26passcode%3DCPNJEPP%26nxjid%3D6548701751&PUBNAME=BensBargains.com&NID=CJ

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: April 22, 2015, 01:31:17 PM »
Any thoughts on the 13in for sale on the DDMS?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline leaf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: April 22, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
Is the DDMS laptop HP Pavilion 13.3″ Touch-Screen Core i3 2-in-1 Laptop For $299.99 Shipped From Best Buy http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/64061 a good deal?
Is it a decent laptop for light/moderate office work (Internet, MSOFFICE, photo management/uploading (not necessarily editing))?

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: April 22, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »
Is the DDMS laptop HP Pavilion 13.3″ Touch-Screen Core i3 2-in-1 Laptop For $299.99 Shipped From Best Buy http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/64061 a good deal?
Is it a decent laptop for light/moderate office work (Internet, MSOFFICE, photo management/uploading (not necessarily editing))?
yes but note that it is quite small (for many that is a good thing)

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: April 23, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »
TOSHIBA Satellite Radius P55W-B5318 Intel Core i7 4510U (2.00GHz) 12GB Memory 256GB SSD 15.6" 360° Rotation Touchscreen Ultrabook Windows 8.1 $799 Use code: EMCARNP222

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216995&