Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3151836 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #9360 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:59 PM »
Thanks. Very interesting, but I think this is more than I need/want. Seems like a Lexus, when I'm looking for a really good Toyota.
Also, Dan & co. are scaring me off: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=56097.0
Think it has good reviews but they just dont want to buy it because its a first generation, and some kinks might come up over user use that would be hopefully fixed for the 2nd gen
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: January 03, 2016, 09:15:19 PM »
Think it has good reviews but they just dont want to buy it because its a first generation, and some kinks might come up over user use that would be hopefully fixed for the 2nd gen
Yep. And this video (linked there) points out some (minor) flaws: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/21/9574381/microsoft-surface-book-laptop-review

Offline TorontoGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: January 03, 2016, 09:26:25 PM »
Maybe take a look on the Dell XPS 15, here it is on Amazon, or this one which is a little bit a cheaper model.
That would of been my next option. You can always just by the inspiron 15 and do a SSD upgrade yourself.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:22 PM »
Maybe take a look on the Dell XPS 15, here it is on Amazon, or this one which is a little bit a cheaper model.
(I linked to Amazon, becuse you said that you are looking to buy it on Amazon. But Costco has the first one for cheaper: http://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-15-Touchscreen-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i7-%7c-2GB-Graphics-%7c-4K-Ultra-HD-%7c-Backlit-Keyboard-%7c-Machined-aluminum-%7c-Free-Upgrade-to-Windows-10.product.100231695.html)

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: January 03, 2016, 09:55:39 PM »
Thanks!
These are Win 8. I'm looking for 10. I know you can upgrade, but I want to save the bother, and keep it smoother and cleaner.
ETA: Bigger problem, no optical drive in these. :(

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: January 03, 2016, 10:11:35 PM »
Thanks!
These are Win 8. I'm looking for 10. I know you can upgrade, but I want to save the bother, and keep it smoother and cleaner.
ETA: Bigger problem, no optical drive in these. :(
If Dell and Touch aren't a must, then take a look on one of thew, 1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13KS7567 2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13KT0983

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: January 03, 2016, 10:23:48 PM »
If Dell and Touch aren't a must, then take a look on one of thew, 1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13KS7567 2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S13KT0983
They look like great deals, but they're not on Amazon.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: January 03, 2016, 10:33:56 PM »
They look like great deals, but they're not on Amazon.
Here you got on Amazon something similar to the Asus one.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: January 03, 2016, 10:41:33 PM »
Here you got on Amazon something similar to the Asus one.
Nice find. I bookmarked it. Mixed reviews there. Thanks! Still holding out for a Dell...

Offline TorontoGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: January 03, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Nice find. I bookmarked it. Mixed reviews there. Thanks! Still holding out for a Dell...
That's my type of guy!! ;)

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: January 03, 2016, 10:56:29 PM »
From what I've seen shopping for computers, 4 stars rating on a laptop is great! Beside the point that looking into the reviews deeper some are irrelevant (for instance 2 one-star reviews are about problems with the Windows 10 upgrade, but this one is already Windows 10.)

You won't find a Dell pre-configured with all the requirements, from what I've seen there is no Dell 15.6" with SSD and Optical Drive. If you'd like to go the way of upgrading to SSD yourself, then you could find some choices.

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: January 03, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »
From what I've seen shopping for computers, 4 stars rating on a laptop is great! Beside the point that looking into the reviews deeper some are irrelevant (for instance 2 one-star reviews are about problems with the Windows 10 upgrade, but this one is already Windows 10.)

You won't find a Dell pre-configured with all the requirements, from what I've seen there is no Dell 15.6" with SSD and Optical Drive. If you'd like to go the way of upgrading to SSD yourself, then you could find some choices.
Understood.
See here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2Q2O8VX31PTH8/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B015ZG997I
and here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R250NJGF81PQRL/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B015ZG997I
Thanks again, and if you remember, keep your eyes open for me. :)

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: January 03, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »

Offline Jacobos

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
Im looking for a good laptop to do some work at home on it i would like a big screen like 17.3 and i want to pay 6 700 dollars

Offline Jacobos

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: January 06, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
Can anyone help me with that??

Offline Iz

• View Profile
« Reply #9375 on: January 06, 2016, 02:35:36 PM »
I'd like to understand the different types of displays. I'm not going to ask if you can explain it, but can you point to a simple clear article where it is explained? Thanks.

Offline Jacobos

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: January 06, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »
Take a look on one of these:

1) - HP Pavilion 17-g133cl Touchscreen Laptop | AMD A10 | 12GB RAM | 2GB Graphics | Backlit Keyboard
$699.99 at Costco

2) - Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series 17.3" HD Laptop with Intel Core i5-4210U | 8GB | 1TB | Win 7 Professional
$530.10 from Dell Small Business after 10% off with coupon code SAVE10%BIZ

3) - 2016 Newest HP 17.3" Laptop with Intel Core i7-4510U | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD | 17.3-inch HD+ LED Backlit Display | Win 10
$629.00 on Amazon
Thanks
Does it pay to add $120 to the dell inspiron and get a i7??

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Take a look on one of these:

3) - 2016 Newest HP 17.3" Laptop with Intel Core i7-4510U | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD | 17.3-inch HD+ LED Backlit Display | Win 10
$629.00 on Amazon
I'm not sure I would do business with a seller that advertises a laptop with a processor that is two generations old as "2016 Newest". The other specs. are probably old as well but I wouldn't know, I'm no expert.
I'm not saying you can't buy an older model laptop and save money that way, it is the advertising to unsuspecting buyers that makes me wary.
When I was looking for a laptop on Amazon last month I noticed many sellers that do this or similar tricks. There are some sellers that are advertising 2016 newest etc. and really have new specs, you just have to know the basics to see if the seller is being honest or not.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: January 06, 2016, 04:11:37 PM »
Thanks
Does it pay to add $120 to the dell inspiron and get a i7??
It's hard to say, but I would not. But $650 for a Dell i7 with 8GB RAM is still a good deal. (Where do you have it for this price? In my link to Dell you cannot change it to an i7.)

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »
I'm not sure I would do business with a seller that advertises a laptop with a processor that is two generations old as "2016 Newest". The other specs. are probably old as well but I wouldn't know, I'm no expert.
I'm not saying you can't buy an older model laptop and save money that way, it is the advertising to unsuspecting buyers that makes me wary.
When I was looking for a laptop on Amazon last month I noticed many sellers that do this or similar tricks. There are some sellers that are advertising 2016 newest etc. and really have new specs, you just have to know the basics to see if the seller is being honest or not.
I'm not referring to this particular case, but generally OEMs do sometimes release new models with 2 gen old processors.