Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3151484 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: Looking for cheap good Laptop deal
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
I currently have a 2 year old compaq presario, that is constantly working hard in the backround (constant running background noise, even when im not running a video). It is a intel pentium (R) Dual-Core T4200 @2.00 GHz.    How is my above mentioned lenovo a upgrade over this? In what ways?  Thanks a lot!!!!
(Repost)

The B950 is a newer and a little better processor. It has more cache, But doesnt have hypertreading. It is better at graphics.
Its not a major upgrade.

What was wrong with ur Compaq? A 2 year old laptop should still be working fine.

The T series (ie T4200) was the common processor before the i3, The B950 is a step down from the i3, its only better cuz its newer, but its really on the lower end

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
The B950 is a newer and a little better processor. It has more cache, But doesnt have hypertreading. It is better at graphics.
Its not a major upgrade.

What was wrong with ur Compaq? A 2 year old laptop should still be working fine.

The T series (ie T4200) was the common processor before the i3, The B950 is a step down from the i3, its only better cuz its newer, but its really on the lower end
About 6 months ago, my battery stopped holding a charge for more than 5 minutes. If its not plugged in, then within 5 minutes it suddenly shuts down.
 Also , since around that time (or slightly before) the back left area of my laptop (the CPU) is always boiling hot and working on overdrive. I dont have any idea if thats because my battery became defective.
 So besides needing a new laptop for myself, do you recommend me just getting a cheap new battery on ebay or somewhere, to use on  my old one?
 Earlier you mentioned the Lenovo with the B950 was a good deal, but now you seem to say it somewhat worse than what I currently have, and im having second thoughts.  I want to use quickbooks on my new laptop as well. Do you still recommend me keeping the one i purchased? THANKS

Offline MnM1130

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
About 6 months ago, my battery stopped holding a charge for more than 5 minutes. If its not plugged in, then within 5 minutes it suddenly shuts down.
 Also , since around that time (or slightly before) the back left area of my laptop (the CPU) is always boiling hot and working on overdrive. I dont have any idea if thats because my battery became defective.
 So besides needing a new laptop for myself, do you recommend me just getting a cheap new battery on ebay or somewhere, to use on  my old one?
 Earlier you mentioned the Lenovo with the B950 was a good deal, but now you seem to say it somewhat worse than what I currently have, and im having second thoughts.  I want to use quickbooks on my new laptop as well. Do you still recommend me keeping the one i purchased? THANKS
i have a dell comp which is now 4 yrs old and in perfect condition besides for the fact i overheated it one night (left it on on a carpet that didnt let any air vent out.) i KILLED my 9 cell batter which used to last me at least 6 hours (it was AMAZING).. well lucky for me i had 2 9 cell batters (long story but i got one for free) so i replaced it with the now DEAD battery.... and my comp drained that battery as well... it hold for maybe 2 hours tops... my comp prob needs a new fan- i prob killed the fan. but i was in israel when i realized and i never got it serviced while it was still under warranty (had a 3 yr warranty with american service) i didnt think of asking to get serviced in israel like a normal person... anyhow.. thats my story with my dell laptop which i loved... So i would tell u that if ur comp is overheating u prob need a new fan and any battery u will buy wont last to long... good luck!

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
i have a dell comp which is now 4 yrs old and in perfect condition besides for the fact i overheated it one night (left it on on a carpet that didnt let any air vent out.) i KILLED my 9 cell batter which used to last me at least 6 hours (it was AMAZING).. well lucky for me i had 2 9 cell batters (long story but i got one for free) so i replaced it with the now DEAD battery.... and my comp drained that battery as well... it hold for maybe 2 hours tops... my comp prob needs a new fan- i prob killed the fan. but i was in israel when i realized and i never got it serviced while it was still under warranty (had a 3 yr warranty with american service) i didnt think of asking to get serviced in israel like a normal person... anyhow.. thats my story with my dell laptop which i loved... So i would tell u that if ur comp is overheating u prob need a new fan and any battery u will buy wont last to long... good luck!
Mf fan seems to be running fine. Does a defective battery cause the CPU to get very hot?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »
Mf fan seems to be running fine. Does a defective battery cause the CPU to get very hot?

It could put some extra strain on a cpu, but not necessarily make it very hot. The battery could get very hot.

I do not think the battery issue is making ur cpu hot... try using the laptop with the battery out - just plugged in, is it still hot?

I do recommend getting a cheap battery on ebay, i had a good experience I recommend the brand "rulu"

Also I mentioned the lenovo as a good deal - I still think its a good deal - just depends on what you had and if its an upgrade for you...
Quickbooks uses tonz of ram and cpu  :(

I do not think its much of an upgrade than what you currently have
Maybe consider this deal - Here This is similar to yours with latest i3, and I think it also has a better graphics card

BTW the one you got went up in price  ;)

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »

Maybe consider this deal - Here This is similar to yours with latest i3, and I think it also has a better graphics card

BTW the one you got went up in price  ;)

But its only 320 GB hard drive as opposed to the one I got which has 500. Also quickbooks is going to be very important to me, so should I reurn it, and hope for some good dell coupons, or a good deal? Thanks

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2011, 07:40:05 AM »
But its only 320 GB hard drive as opposed to the one I got which has 500. Also quickbooks is going to be very important to me, so should I reurn it, and hope for some good dell coupons, or a good deal? Thanks

Why would u need a 500GB Hard drive?

I think you should return it and wait for a good deal.

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2011, 12:39:30 AM »
what do the pros think of the asus laptop intel core 2g i3 processor 14" display 4gb for 379 does it pay? is there any shtik to get it for cheaper?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
what do the pros think of the asus laptop intel core 2g i3 processor 14" display 4gb for 379 does it pay? is there any shtik to get it for cheaper?

What model?
From what store?

The specs sound like a good deal for the price

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
best buy has it for 379

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
This one?
best buy has it for 379

Deff a good price for the specs

Just it has a 4 cell battery - so the battery life wont be as long

Also I'm not so into the 14" screens, unless you need a portable laptop - if not get a 15.6"

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »
You have a recco for a 15.6 inch one?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »
You have a recco for a 15.6 inch one?
A lenovo I mentioned earlier ...

Also Staples no has a 14" on sale

HP Pavilion dm4-2191us 14" Laptop for $479
i5, 4gb Ram

Laptop
Coupon

Or

HP Pavilion dv4-4141us 14" Laptop for 379.99
i3, 4gb ram

Laptop
Coupon Or you could uses coupon code "59465" but seems that they arent avail online now

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
Thanks.

Which would you go with of the three?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »
Thanks.

Which would you go with of the three?

None  ;)

The size i would take is 15.6"
If the staples i5 one was 15.6" that would be good

But I usually get from Dell those specs for cheaper.
As of now those specs from dell wud be $499 Here

Then if you have the $400 and $75 would make the price to $425

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
Hmm... but with the 400+75 coupon, I don't get AMEX warranty.

I guess I could buy a square trade warranty instead...

You just go here: http://dell.cashstar.com/ and buy for 400 and they automatically send you another 75?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2011, 03:15:37 PM »
Hmm... but with the 400+75 coupon, I don't get AMEX warranty.

I guess I could buy a square trade warranty instead...

You just go here: http://dell.cashstar.com/ and buy for 400 and they automatically send you another 75?
+1 to squaretrade

As of now the Dell isn't giving the free $75... but you do get it right away when you purchase the $400 one

The offer it like every other month

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2011, 04:09:42 PM »
+1 to squaretrade

As of now the Dell isn't giving the free $75... but you do get it right away when you purchase the $400 one

The offer it like every other month

Sometimes they give away a stackable $75 coupon? Interesting.

But to get the 400+75, you just purchase the $400 one on that link?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
Sometimes they give away a stackable $75 coupon? Interesting.

But to get the 400+75, you just purchase the $400 one on that link?

No

Im referring to the offer of free $75 with the purchase of a $400

Now it is not offered - Dont buy the $400 ...