Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3152838 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: Looking for cheap good Laptop deal
« Reply #380 on: February 20, 2012, 08:13:49 PM »
HERE Office Depot has a Lenovo G570 for $329. Really similar was posted much ealier from bestbuy.. this one has the Intel B960 Processor, 4GB Ram, 230GB hard drive.
Really worth the money!

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 22, 2012, 12:06:45 AM »
I assume there is someone here that could help me decide which notebook I should buy I was thinking about the macbook air its sleek and easy to use although a little pricey but the question I have is I'm not sure how it works with typing hebrew on it or editing docs from microsoft word? is there any other sleek nice easy to figure out lightweight fast notebooks around? and does someone know of any good deals
thanks a million brothers

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 22, 2012, 12:10:32 AM »
I assume there is someone here that could help me decide which notebook I should buy I was thinking about the macbook air its sleek and easy to use although a little pricey but the question I have is I'm not sure how it works with typing hebrew on it or editing docs from microsoft word? is there any other sleek nice easy to figure out lightweight fast notebooks around? and does someone know of any good deals
thanks a million brothers

There are lots of ultrabooks that are 90% the sleekness for 50% the price. Macbook Air will handle Hebrew and Word just fine, but it's still a waste of money IMHO. Apple is also releasing some product refreshes next week, I don't think the Air is one of them, but it might be worth waiting if you're a fanboi.

Edit: A real fanboi would know all about Apple, and would know of any scheduled events :P
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline smart brit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:30 AM »
I'm not sure to what notebook  u are referring if u have something specific in mind pls share but there is one thing that apple has in there macbooks u switch on and I'm good to go no waiting 2/5 min until the computer loads

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 22, 2012, 12:30:46 AM »
I'm not sure to what notebook  u are referring if u have something specific in mind pls share but there is one thing that apple has in there macbooks u switch on and I'm good to go no waiting 2/5 min until the computer loads

GIYF, just do a search for Ultrabook (duh!). I don't think there's anything Windows that boots within 2 minutes, but you didn't mention that in your original requirements, if it's worth it for you to spend as much as $1,000 more for that feature, go for it.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #385 on: February 22, 2012, 12:50:10 AM »
GIYF, just do a search for Ultrabook (duh!). I don't think there's anything Windows that boots within 2 minutes, but you didn't mention that in your original requirements, if it's worth it for you to spend as much as $1,000 more for that feature, go for it.
My Vaio Z12 boots in less than 30 seconds.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:45 AM »

Even now that you've loaded windows up with software? Are you including the startup time after you log into Windows?

I just had to format my Z12  :'( :'( :'(, driver issues (?) were causing it to BSOD and do other crazy stuff, BH it doesn't seem to be a hardware issues and it's running fine now (Ka"H).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #387 on: February 22, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
Even now that you've loaded windows up with software? Are you including the startup time after you log into Windows?
Yup, just timed it now from power on until I can open Chrome.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 22, 2012, 01:17:45 AM »
Yup, just timed it now from power on until I can open Chrome.

Nice. I've never timed, it, mine might be a bit slower than yours, but it's still pretty quick. Might just be my impatience makes it feel longer :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 22, 2012, 01:19:30 AM »
Nice. I've never timed, it, mine might be a bit slower than yours, but it's still pretty quick. Might just be my impatience makes it feel longer :P
i7+8GB RAM+256GB SSD+dedicated graphics makes for one killer combo.
I will be a sad puppy when this thing dies as there's nothing on the market to replace it now.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
I will be a sad puppy when this thing dies as there's nothing on the market to replace it now.

I'm a notch down on the three first specs (i5, 4GB, 128SSD (RAID)), but I don't think the latter two would significantly affect boot time.

Deja vu.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #391 on: February 22, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »
Wow - what windows are you running?
This is way fast!!!
Hopefully it'll last awhile, and when it dies there will be a replacement

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2012, 08:32:27 AM »
I'm a notch down on the three first specs (i5, 4GB, 128SSD (RAID)), but I don't think the latter two would significantly affect boot time.

Deja vu.
The quick boot is usually with a SSD. Also the processor plays a little role, Ram and HD size should not make a diff (with ur above specs)
What is your boot time?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:20:10 AM by Name Changed »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »
The quick boot is usually with a SSD. Also the processor plays a little role, Ram and HD size should make a diff (with ur above specs)
What is your boot time?

I just formatted, so boot time would be a bit shorter than typical. (BL"N) I'll do a test and post back with results. Why would HDD size make a difference? Why would RAM size (4GB vs. 8GB) make a difference if not using more than 1-2GB of RAM for boot?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
I just formatted, so boot time would be a bit shorter than typical. (BL"N) I'll do a test and post back with results. Why would HDD size make a difference? Why would RAM size (4GB vs. 8GB) make a difference if not using more than 1-2GB of RAM for boot?
That was a typo, I fixed it... I meant to say should NOT make a diff

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 22, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »
Run msconfig and click on startup. My guess you will have a ton of stuff running at startup that you do not need. You don’t need to spend big bucks to get a fast boot.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 22, 2012, 09:26:09 AM »
Run msconfig and click on startup. My guess you will have a ton of stuff running at startup that you do not need. You don’t need to spend big bucks to get a fast boot.

I doubt you'll get anywhere less than 2 minute boot with a non-SSD HDD...

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2012, 09:31:02 AM »
Its not only the programs running that slow startup its also the hardware as AsherO said -
A hybrid hard drive give close to the same performance for a quarter of the price

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
A hybrid hard drive give close to the same performance for a quarter of the price

Hybrids are an interesting concept, which I have no experience with as of yet. They're only becomming more common in recent times.

My last few laptops I've been extremely lucky with how pricing worked itself out, Ka"H.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
Really? Boot time to open IE is 1 min 10 sec on my throw away. If I disable all startup BS my guess it would be under a minute.

Dell 9300 3-4 yrs old
Old Pent 1.7
1GB Mem
Win 7
"Elvis Has Left The Building"