Topic Wiki

Please, when posting a link to a laptop listing, make sure to include the price at time of posting. It helps.
Requesting help with a purchase? Please post here: https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=135662.msg2794782#msg2794782

Dell:
Precision - Very powerful desktop replacements - great warranty, ridiculously expensive - Usually overpriced or overkill

Latitude - Good Laptops - Great warranty! Highly recommended for any Business environment - Sometimes expensive.

Vostro  - Lower end Business Machines - Better Priced - still durable - Usually 1 Year warranty.

XPS - The nicer looking dell machines, Some are better than others...

Inspiron - YMMV Every model is different

(Plain) Insprion Series - Dells lowest end laptop
(R) Insprion Series - Perfect Home use, dependable, decent build quality, recommended
(Z) Insprion Series - A little slimmer than the R series, Some are Ultrabooks (Very often don't include Optical Drives)

HP:

Spectre - Top of the line personal (dragonfly is the top of the line for business) - lightest laptops, and beautiful!

Pavilion - YMMV (Some better than others)

Probook - Stable durable business systems - Usually a little on the heavy side.

Elitebook - Business Higher end systems, usually pretty expensive

ENVY - Used to be the HP sleek and nicer systems, they pretty much replaced most of the standard pavilions now and call them either ENVY or sleekbooks

Sleekbook - like it sounds slimmer line of laptops

Lenovo:

Thinkpad Series - Very Dependable Business Machine, Expensive (Not Pretty but Durable)

IdeaPad Series -

S Series
U Series - Usually the slimmer line Ultrabooks, Doesn't always include DVD Drive
Y Series - Nice machines with good specs and features (Cool Backlit Keyboards)
Z Series - Step up from the G Series, all around decent build, priced nicely, great home use laptop
G Series - Lower end

Samsung:

Series 3
Series 5
Series 7
Series 9 - The nicest, sleekest looking laptops I've seen in a long time - Can pass for a Macbook!!

HT: Dh Data Recovery & Name Changed

A great post by caliheat:
I believe that there are many factors when deciding what laptop to purchase.
1) What is your intended use and necessary features. e.g. light use vs. heavy use & optical drive, computer speed etc.
2) As mentioned several times in this thread, RAM itself is very easy to upgrade after you purchase.
3) Brand - IMHO this is pretty important as well - which do your prefer vs. which brand do people recommend.
4) Price - you should decide a price range that best suits your needs.
5) Operating System - Many people like myself prefer Windows 7 vs. 8.1, so this would be another consideration.
6) Warranty - does it include 1 year or more, cost for extending warranty.
7) Detailed Specs:
  Processor  - model and speed i3, i5, & i7 2.0 Ghz, 3.0 Ghz etc.
  RAM - This IMHO should be minimum 8GB, especially if running 8.1, however can be added easily.
  Hard Drive - SATA vs. SSD, the latter being much faster. SATA itself offers 5400 RPM vs. 7200 RPM again, the latter being faster.
  Screen Size - this is a personal preference as you can always attach a larger screen in an office setting.
  Battery & Weight - overall laptop weight preference & battery life.
  Graphics - Integrated graphics vs. dedicated graphics, e.g. Intel 4400 vs. Nvidia GTX etc.

In summary, you have to decide what are you priorities, what can be upgraded and what you are flexible on.

Excellent article about the differences between the Intel processor suffixes.

Excellent "Laptop Buying Guide" by @dailykasha, written for Black Friday 2021, updated for holidays 2023

Author Topic: Laptop Deals Master Thread  (Read 3151613 times)

Offline sol19

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 32
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop Deals Master Thread
« Reply #13300 on: December 29, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »
Not sure if this is proper thread as i'm looking for advice not to post any deals, but.....

I have $600 in amex credit to use ASAP along with $200 statement credit after 800 purchase. The way I figure it, the laptop should cost around 1100 + 100 for taxes, if I want to maximize my credits. This would allow me to spend out of pocket around 600 (for a 1200 laptop)

Alternatively, i can just get a $600-800 laptop and not spend much. I prefer this as have no need for such a high end laptop.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/sr/laptops/next-day-delivery?sortBy=price-ascending&min=500&max=1200&appliedRefinements=39551,31461,15689

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/sr/laptops/15-inch?sortBy=price-ascending&min=500&max=1200&appliedRefinements=15604,39551,31461

Recommendations?

Vostro 5510 $899
11th Generation Intel Core i7-11390H Processor (12MB Cache, up to 5.0GHz with ITBM3.0)
Windows 11 Pro
Intel Iris Xe Graphics
15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Non-Touch Narrow Border WVA Display
16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 3200MHz
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Intel Wi-Fi 6 2x2 (Gig+) and Bluetooth
Backlit Keyboard & Fingerprint Reader

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: December 30, 2021, 09:32:13 AM »
Back on the market for a new laptop for personal use. My priorities are: Thin and light, durable build quality, good value, sufficiently powerful specs. I’m not very particular about screen/audio, as long as they aren’t outright poor quality. Actually prefer lower resolution (1080p is more than sufficient) so things aren’t tiny.

For context, here’s the historical list of laptops I’ve owned over the past 20 years: Dell Latitude x1, Dell 700m, Sony Vaio Z13, MacBook Pro (boot camp for Windows) ~2014 which is aging so I’d like to replace it.

There are two 2-in-1 laptops on the market that seem fairly compelling and hinge quality seems to be okay, if you’re aware of any similarly sized/weighted laptops at a similar build quality and price point ($900-1200) please lmk

- LG Gram 16” 2-in-1
- Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 15.6”

These too seem to be the right size/weight, with larger screens than I’ve had but similar weight, well built, and a good value. If you know of any specific deals to be had on these (better than the recent Costco one for LG for instance), please do share

TIA
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: December 30, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »
What's about the Lenovo yoga, Dell XPS or hp spectre?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13303 on: December 30, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »
Looking for a good budget laptop. Will be used only for 2 person zoom meetings, I want a 15. 6 screen. Have been told i3 will suffice.
Here is what I was thinking. Open to better suggestions.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000D-0KVM7?Item=9SIAE4NH7A0776&quicklink=true
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: December 30, 2021, 07:45:24 PM »
What's about the Lenovo yoga, Dell XPS or hp spectre?

Thanks Yo ssi. Those are all “premium” offerings from lowest-common denominator brands. Doubt I’ll get build quality of the Dell 700m from any of those. I actually had a Dell XPS m1330 (I don’t believe I had it for long) and I wasn’t too impressed.

The Yoga 9i 15 is pricier and 4+ pounds. To be fair it also has dedicated graphics.

Other than my poor experiences with the Dell XPS m1330, I can’t speak against the XPS 13 2-in-1, I simply don’t know enough.

A few years ago when I was looking for what was out there the Spectre 360 (or was it Spectre x360) was all the rage for thin and light, but was too pricey to be a good value.

Do you feel like any of these are significantly more compelling for any of the priorities I listed? I’d be happy to reconsider but I still feel like LG Gram leads the way. Costco had it for $1,099 and I missed that, and now it looks like their $1,199 option ended as well. But more deals will come, I’m confident.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #13305 on: December 30, 2021, 09:02:12 PM »
Thanks Yo ssi...
I guess it's a matter of priorities. Whatever you go with there will be some tried off, the question is which trade off do you care about least.
Are you looking for 15" screen size specifically? Do you care for a 2 in 1 design? What about battery life? (If yes M1 mac is for you ;D). Is weight more important to you than build quality?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 09:05:41 PM by Yo ssi »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13306 on: December 30, 2021, 09:14:37 PM »
I guess it's a matter of priorities. Whatever you go with there will be some tried off, the question is which trade off do you care about least.
Are you looking for 15" screen size specifically? Do you care for a 2 in 1 design? What about battery life? (If yes M1 mac is for you ;D). Is weight more important to you than build quality?

Weight is more important than build quality, but build quality is important. Meaning I’m looking for sub-3 lbs. but anything sub-3 I’ll take best build quality. Biggest screen I can get.

I’m curious about 2-in-1 but I never used one so not sure how much use I’ll get from it, especially considering it’s 2+ lbs so not quite a tablet.

Anything on the market that meets my other needs will have sufficient battery life. M1 won’t work for me as I I need to run (via boot camp) Windows x64 natively on the hardware.

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #13307 on: December 30, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
Weight is more important than build quality, but build quality is important. Meaning I’m looking for sub-3 lbs. but anything sub-3 I’ll take best build quality. Biggest screen I can get.

I’m curious about 2-in-1 but I never used one so not sure how much use I’ll get from it, especially considering it’s 2+ lbs so not quite a tablet.

Anything on the market that meets my other needs will have sufficient battery life. M1 won’t work for me as I I need to run (via boot camp) Windows x64 natively on the hardware.
It sounds like LG gram is a good choice. I honestly can't imagine that the Samsung is a good value, I have never seen one though.

I personally like the 2 in 1 form and it has nothing to do with using it for a tablet-like experience (it's a horrible one).
Not sure if it's realistic, but I'd go into a Best Buy and get a real feel for the laptop your getting.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13308 on: December 30, 2021, 11:08:32 PM »
It sounds like LG gram is a good choice. I honestly can't imagine that the Samsung is a good value, I have never seen one though.

I personally like the 2 in 1 form and it has nothing to do with using it for a tablet-like experience (it's a horrible one).
Not sure if it's realistic, but I'd go into a Best Buy and get a real feel for the laptop your getting.

I checked both out at Costco while I waited, and the LG was really nice, but I’m realizing now that the LG at Costco at the ideal price point wasn’t 2-in-1.

I don’t like checking out items at a shop I know I won’t be making the purchase at, that’s called showrooming, and might be halachically problematic

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #13309 on: December 31, 2021, 01:44:59 AM »
I checked both out at Costco while I waited, and the LG was really nice, but I’m realizing now that the LG at Costco at the ideal price point wasn’t 2-in-1.

I don’t like checking out items at a shop I know I won’t be making the purchase at, that’s called showrooming, and might be halachically problematic
I have seen a few LG Grams (I do think 2 in 1a) they all seemed very flimsy. I and a good friend have great experience with Samsung laptops, he has a 2 in 1, I have a standard, really great in every way.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13310 on: December 31, 2021, 11:39:25 AM »
Looking for a good budget laptop. Will be used only for 2 person zoom meetings, I want a 15. 6 screen. Have been told i3 will suffice.
Sufficient, but not a great deal at that price.
Consider a chromebook
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 11:47:39 AM by Chuchum Ainer »

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #13311 on: December 31, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »
Biggest screen I can get.

Lg gram is the only light 17.3 inch.

I've used the Samsung galaxy book pro and was very impressed.

If you go down to 14 inch, the yoga 9 is an amazing computer. At 15 inches it's too heavy, though the yoga 7 is a bit better.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #13312 on: December 31, 2021, 01:56:06 PM »

Not quite getting if you want 2 in 1 or not, but the 15 inch lg gram was $750 a few weeks ago. Not sure how often it goes on sale.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13313 on: December 31, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
Not quite getting if you want 2 in 1 or not, but the 15 inch lg gram was $750 a few weeks ago. Not sure how often it goes on sale.

$750 sounds nice, but if I’m getting the Gram then the 16/17” sounds much more compelling even for an extra $200-300.

The 2-in-1 is a curiosity, I want to try it but not sure how much value I’ll get from it.

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #13314 on: January 02, 2022, 04:36:01 PM »

Did you buy something? Still need advice?

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #13315 on: January 02, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »
Did you buy something? Still need advice?
No. Yes.

Offline nirc

• View Profile
« Reply #13316 on: January 02, 2022, 06:08:57 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advice/suggestions.

I ended up with an Inspiron 15 5510 for $725 including tax ---15” screen, 11th gen, i7, 16RAM, 512GB

Used cashback site for $75 off + Amex credits (3).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 06:14:53 PM by nirc »

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #13317 on: January 03, 2022, 05:24:19 AM »

Here goes.

If you are only using it for zoom, consider getting an iPad, costs ~$330, will work well. Need a case or cover with a stand. Or an android tablet. Those will be smaller than 15 inch of course.
Or consider a chromebook. Generally I'd suggest a sleek 14 inch with an HD screen, but I'm not noticing any good deals on those, and you want 15 inch. https://www.target.com/p/acer-315-15-6-chromebook-intel-celeron-n4020-1-1ghz-4gb-ram-64gb-flash-chrome-manufacturer-refurbished/-/A-84139757 this one seems pretty good at $170. It's refurbished, but by the manufacturer, and at that price I wouldn't worry. Not extra slim, kind of a regular full size 3.6lb laptop. Screen seems decent. FHD ips touchscreen. They sell it through eBay too if you prefer it.

If you specifically want windows, and your budget, as seen from your link, is around $450 but really just the cheapest with at least i3 and 8gb, here are a couple options.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619903820&urlLangId=&quantity=1&color=natural+silver ryzen 5, 8gb ram
Starts at $430, better screen is $40 more, bumping up to 16 gb is $80 more. Decent build

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-3000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3511-laptop/nn3511eyxsh $391. I3 8gb  Entry level build quality.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/641112/lenovo-ideapad-3i-15itl6-156-laptop-computer-grey $429 if you have a microcenter near you.

There really aren't many good deals these days.
If I see anything better, I'll post.
If anyone else has an idea, please post

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #13318 on: January 03, 2022, 07:07:21 AM »
Here goes.

If you are only using it for zoom, consider getting an iPad, costs ~$330, will work well. Need a case or cover with a stand. Or an android tablet. Those will be smaller than 15 inch of course.
Or consider a chromebook. Generally I'd suggest a sleek 14 inch with an HD screen, but I'm not noticing any good deals on those, and you want 15 inch. https://www.target.com/p/acer-315-15-6-chromebook-intel-celeron-n4020-1-1ghz-4gb-ram-64gb-flash-chrome-manufacturer-refurbished/-/A-84139757 this one seems pretty good at $170. It's refurbished, but by the manufacturer, and at that price I wouldn't worry. Not extra slim, kind of a regular full size 3.6lb laptop. Screen seems decent. FHD ips touchscreen. They sell it through eBay too if you prefer it.

If you specifically want windows, and your budget, as seen from your link, is around $450 but really just the cheapest with at least i3 and 8gb, here are a couple options.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619903820&urlLangId=&quantity=1&color=natural+silver ryzen 5, 8gb ram
Starts at $430, better screen is $40 more, bumping up to 16 gb is $80 more. Decent build

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-3000-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3511-laptop/nn3511eyxsh $391. I3 8gb  Entry level build quality.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/641112/lenovo-ideapad-3i-15itl6-156-laptop-computer-grey $429 if you have a microcenter near you.

There really aren't many good deals these days.
If I see anything better, I'll post.
If anyone else has an idea, please post
TY!

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13319 on: January 03, 2022, 07:37:22 AM »
It's such a nachas to see DDFers like Chuchum Ainer be so gracious and helpful to others. Mi Ke'amcha Yisroel!

JlmBoi: If you only need a device for Zoom, you also may want to consider the Facebook Portal, or other video conferencing devices.