Author Topic: Air Canada Connection Cancelled  (Read 1675 times)

Offline joselit

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Air Canada Connection Cancelled
« on: June 15, 2022, 10:30:13 PM »
I’m reaching out due to a flight situation we had and would love your advice on the best way to proceed. We flew to EY for Shavous on Air Canada, (which we booked using Chase Ultimate rewards with points and the rest we paid for) from La Guardia to Toronto, then from Toronto to TLV. The flight there went without a hitch, however, the flight back is a different story. We left TLV Wednesday morning at 12:25 PM (originally 11:30 AM) to Toronto, which we had a 6:40 PM connecting flight to Newark. Upon our arrival to Toronto, we received an email from Air Canada that our connecting flight has been cancelled. Subsequently, we received another email that we were rebooked on a United flight leaving at 7:40 PM to Newark instead. We received our new boarding passes, took care of transferring our checked bags and then we were told the flight was delayed to 9:00 PM. I didn’t mention yet that I was flying with my wife and three children ages 7, 5 and 2. At this point they were getting tired but we were scheduled to leave at 9:00 PM so that was still ok. Then came 9:00 PM and we were officially told our flight was cancelled and there are no other flights leaving tonight, please come on line and we will reschedule you to a flight tomorrow. We waited on line to discuss our options, after waiting about an hour finally it was our turn and I asked them can we get on a flight to a different location in NY, as there was a 10:00 PM flight to La Guardia, however, I was told unfortunately they can’t change our ending destination. So they rebooked us on a 2:15 PM flight for the next afternoon and gave us a number to call for a “discounted” hotel rate and told us we can submit our receipts to United and hopefully they will reimburse us. Not being one to want to run into problems, I asked the United representative if it would pose a problem to get to the hotel if we are not vaccinated. For connecting flights you don’t need to be vaccinated, however, to enter Canada you need to be vaccinated. The representative explicitly stated that there is no problem at all, they will let you go, and we will check you in now for tomorrow’s flight and there will be no problem. Well, that turned out to be totally false. As we went through border control we were asked if we were vaccinated, we explained the connection flight situation and ultimately the superintendent told us we can not leave the airport because we are not vaccinated. We tried to reason with him that we are just going to a hotel for the night, so our three kids can get some normal sleep and so that we can get some food and milk for them as well. He absolutely refused. He said we have to wait for the airlines to come and give us new boarding passes for a morning flight and we have to spend the night in the airport, yes, with three children. Yes, without food. Yes, without milk for our two-year-old. So, the airline stranded us in the airport without basic necessities. Finally, after two hours of waiting United came to give us an itinerary flight so that we can re-enter the departure area of the airport so we can spend the night there. Border control did not even let a friend bring food or milk to the airport until we called the American Embassy and they reached out to them asking why there is an American family stuck in the airport without basic necessities, then they allowed for us, not the airline, arrange for food and milk. Then we spent half the night going through security again and the other half trying to catch a little sleep with keeping an eye on our children in an open sitting area in the airport. Finally, 4:30 AM came and a United agent came to give us our new boarding passes and take us to security so we can board our 6:30 AM flight home.
This is the gist of the saga, I would love for your advice on how we can get compensated for this crazy trip

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Air Canada Connection Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 12:44:42 AM »
For starters, you get Israeli compensation (3000 ILS a person, approx $850).

Offline joselit

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Air Canada Connection Cancelled
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 04:56:13 PM »
Can you please give me more info on this? Who should I talk to to get this?

Thanks!