Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!  (Read 24484 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2020, 07:10:22 AM »
Also finding it strange that people that overlook Trump's major personal character faults and accusations are unwilling  to do so even for a few days after a shocking death of someone else...

Anyway, I'm not saying the conversation can't be had, but doing it in this thread, before his body is in the ground, is simply disrespectful, regardless of what you think of him.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2020, 07:27:08 AM »
What in the world does this have to do with anti-semitism? I have nothing against his race or religion. No one is celebrating his unfortunate untimely passing.

What I have a problem with is frum Jews mourning the death of an individual who had terrible middos and set a bad example for the kids and adults who looked up to him, as if he were a gadol biyisrael. Show me someone who was virtuous, a role, model and made positive contributions to society, and it would be proper to mourn his passing no matter his race or religion. I don’t know why you are mixing anti-semitism in.

Who remembers the collective reaction to this front page? Pretty sure it was considered anti Semitic. Not saying you were being racist, I don't think you were, just giving context for the anti semitism comment.

I know this will get to people.
The guy was a rapist. That's a fact!
Reality check people: He was an athlete. Are you mourning the death of an athlete? Are these the kind of people you look up to?
This is getting more attention on DDF than the passing of any gadol over the past five years. That is sad.

But this dude *is* racist. I'm not getting into an argument over what the colloquial meaning of any specific word is, but the context here leaves no room for ambiguity. It's hateful, disgusting, and needs to be called out. IMHO, it should be deleted by the mods. There should be no room for racism to be tolerated on any level.

Peace out.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:03:32 PM by jj1000 »

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2020, 07:34:44 AM »
And yes I do look up to Kobe Bryant. You can learn things from anyone. There is one thing that according to everyone made him stand out. That was his work ethic. His craft was basketball. He worked his tail off to be one of the best. No one beat him to the gym ever. He was the first one in and the last one out and it showed.

So if there is something we can learn from him it is that if something is important to you, give it your all, whatever it maybe. I don’t have to look up at the person per say but I can still admire his accomplishments.

What he did off the court was his business. You can pick and choose what you want to learn from him. No one is saying to blindly follow what everything he did.

Oh and you hear how everyone is saying great things about him? And have been for the past 2-3 years. There is a reason for that. He touched so many’s people’s lives in a positive way. So don’t believe everything you read about him. The people who were closest to him all have nothing but good things to say about him.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2020, 07:47:40 AM »
I know this will get to people.
The guy was a rapist. That's a fact!
Reality check people: He was an athlete. Are you mourning the death of an athlete? Are these the kind of people you look up to?
This is getting more attention on DDF than the passing of any gadol over the past five years. That is sad.
Racism does not belong anywhere. It always shocks me how members of groups who are targets of bigotry can still be such bigots themselves.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:03:47 PM by jj1000 »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2020, 09:32:00 AM »
And yes I do look up to Kobe Bryant. You can learn things from anyone. There is one thing that according to everyone made him stand out. That was his work ethic. His craft was basketball. He worked his tail off to be one of the best. No one beat him to the gym ever. He was the first one in and the last one out and it showed.

So if there is something we can learn from him it is that if something is important to you, give it your all, whatever it maybe. I don’t have to look up at the person per say but I can still admire his accomplishments.

What he did off the court was his business. You can pick and choose what you want to learn from him. No one is saying to blindly follow what everything he did.

Oh and you hear how everyone is saying great things about him? And have been for the past 2-3 years. There is a reason for that. He touched so many’s people’s lives in a positive way. So don’t believe everything you read about him. The people who were closest to him all have nothing but good things to say about him.

There’s some truth to that. Chazal praises certain aspects of the Persians without approving of them in their totality. However, I don’t think people are really separating the player from the person. To take an extreme example, if he had been convicted off mass murder and been killed accidentally in prison, I highly doubt people would have the same reaction to his passing.

As far as emulating him on the court, I don’t know if I would want to emulate his win at all cost approach, which is not the same as a “be the best you can be” approach. He was not known for his sportsman like conduct even on the court and amongst his teammates to say the least. (He famously hurled an expletive laced slur on live TV with kids watching at at a referee who called him on a foul). So yes, if you want to take a lesson on the power of determination and single minded focus on a goal I get that. But put it in context.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
Racism does not belong anywhere. It always shocks me how members of groups who are targets of bigotry can still be such bigots themselves.

Agree there is no place for that word.

Offline mimb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, United, Delta, AMEX, CHASE UR, SPG
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »
Seems like some people are having a hard time differentiating between a natural death and a tragic one like this. Obviously a helicopter crash with kids is going to get more attention than a natural old age death.

This is exactly what makes this whole tragedy so devastating. The sheer surprise is much harder to come to terms with than a natural old age/disease

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2020, 10:58:32 AM »
Kobe Bryant tributes appear all across the globe from France to the Philippines to the Grammy Awards
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/kobe-bryant-tributes-appear-all-across-globe-france-philippines-grammy-awards
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2020, 11:24:38 AM »

Offline pomy100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
Whoooo
This threads poppin

Online mochjas

• View Profile

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2020, 07:09:17 PM »
TNT special live before the game on now. If you want to know the real person watch it.

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2020, 11:43:44 PM »
Also finding it strange that people that overlook Trump's major personal character faults and accusations are unwilling  to do so even for a few days after a shocking death of someone else...

Anyway, I'm not saying the conversation can't be had, but doing it in this thread, before his body is in the ground, is simply disrespectful, regardless of what you think of him.
1) most if not all people here think Trump is a disgusting person, we just back the actions that hes taking for our country and not his personal conduct.
2) i think that specifically now at a time when everyone is mourning this “gadol” is the perfect time for people to make sure they have their priorities straight and is a basketball player really a hero in our eyes? I wouldn’t advise going in TV and saying these ideas but on a forum that is mostly yidden i think its the perfect time to have the discussion.... and especially now when the story is still fresh.
I think anyone that doesn’t think like this or cant atleast understand why some people think like this, have brains that are too stuffed with “goyish” ideas and thoughts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2020, 11:56:01 PM »
1) most if not all people here think Trump is a disgusting person, we just back the actions that hes taking for our country and not his personal conduct.
2) i think that specifically now at a time when everyone is mourning this “gadol” is the perfect time for people to make sure they have their priorities straight and is a basketball player really a hero in our eyes? I wouldn’t advise going in TV and saying these ideas but on a forum that is mostly yidden i think its the perfect time to have the discussion.... and especially now when the story is still fresh.
I think anyone that doesn’t think like this or cant atleast understand why some people think like this, have brains that are too stuffed with “goyish” ideas and thoughts
1. So you're willing to overlook character flaws in Trump, but not Kobe.
2. Nobody said he's a hero. Not sure why the need to insist that is the case persists.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2020, 12:04:08 AM »
1. So you're willing to overlook character flaws in Trump, but not Kobe.
2. Nobody said he's a hero. Not sure why the need to insist that is the case persists.
I never said a word about kobe’s past (others have but i havent) i say even if he woulda been perfect off the court, what he has accomplished on the court should be worthless in our  eyes. Thats all im saying.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2020, 12:09:56 AM »
what he has accomplished on the court should be worthless in our  eyes.
What a sad outlook on life and Judaism. There are positive things and lessons to be found in everyone and everything. You can differentiate between the holy and the mundane, but to write something off as worthless is missing the bigger picture of why Gd created the world and what our job is.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2020, 12:18:16 AM »
What a sad outlook on life and Judaism. There are positive things and lessons to be found in everyone and everything. You can differentiate between the holy and the mundane, but to write something off as worthless is missing the bigger picture of why Gd created the world and what our job is.
So im ready to hear, as a jew, what lesson are you taking from this?