Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!  (Read 24887 times)

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »
Big tzadik.
זכותו יגן עליכם

Offline pomy100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 05:24:53 PM »
Shtickle Golus vibes how the oilams so heartbroken. Klal Yisroel in pain needs our sympathy and support more

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
LA sheriff's office just said in the press release that there were 9 people on board. Pilot plus 8 pax. Wow.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »
LA sheriff's office just said in the press release that there were 9 people on board. Pilot plus 8 pax. Wow.
Oy. RIP.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eyj

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 06:22:31 PM »
Shtickle Golus vibes how the oilams so heartbroken. Klal Yisroel in pain needs our sympathy and support more
It’s symptomatic of the golus we are in. Same for those tuning in to Rush or Hannity for hours every day, or lining up at the Trump events. (Many of my political views happen to lean conservative by the way). And there are countless other examples of areas where frum Jews have lost sight of who we are, and that we are on a different trajectory than those around us, as talented as they may be. We are on a journey that spans thousands of years, and scores of host countries and cultures, on a path from Matan Torah to the final geulah. Anyone cognizant of this can not possibly identify in a personal way with the fleeting culture and company surrounding us that will all too soon fade into the forgotten past as surely as the scores of other proud cultures we have outlasted have. Our present environment, as grateful as we are to this malchus shel chessed, is but another brief encounter in our long journey that connects us with eternity.

Chazal tell us
ותמלא הארץ אותם. שנתמלאו בתי טרטיאות ובתי קרקסיאות מהם, מיד גזרו עליהם לרוש מן המטה, שנאמר ותמלא הארץ אותם
In Egypt, the prototype of all future golus, it was at the point that the Jews started entering the theaters and places of entertainment, identifying with the Egyptian culture, that Hashem caused the Egyptians to turn on Klal Yisrael. As one of the pre-war gedolim once said:
והוצאתי אתכם מתחת סבלות מצרים
When they could no longer bear being part of the culture of mitzrayim
that is the point that they were ready to be redeemed.It’s sad, but simply a symptom of where many of us are holding

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 07:28:40 PM »
Studies consistently show that there is an inverse relationship between early retirement and longevity. I can see him arriving up there, hearing a whistle, being handed a ball, and told to take 2 free throws....

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
Studies consistently show that there is an inverse relationship between early retirement and longevity. I can see him arriving up there, hearing a whistle, being handed a ball, and told to take 2 free throws....
What a nice toradike view of the next world
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
I feel like I am on another planet.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 07:45:27 PM »
cool tribute today in a bunch of the NBA games. Team that won the opening tip dribbled the clock out for a 24 second violation, as a tribute to #24 .

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »
It’s symptomatic of the golus we are in. Same for those tuning in to Rush or Hannity for hours every day, or lining up at the Trump events. (Many of my political views happen to lean conservative by the way). And there are countless other examples of areas where frum Jews have lost sight of who we are, and that we are on a different trajectory than those around us, as talented as they may be. We are on a journey that spans thousands of years, and scores of host countries and cultures, on a path from Matan Torah to the final geulah. Anyone cognizant of this can not possibly identify in a personal way with the fleeting culture and company surrounding us that will all too soon fade into the forgotten past as surely as the scores of other proud cultures we have outlasted have. Our present environment, as grateful as we are to this malchus shel chessed, is but another brief encounter in our long journey that connects us with eternity.

Chazal tell us
ותמלא הארץ אותם. שנתמלאו בתי טרטיאות ובתי קרקסיאות מהם, מיד גזרו עליהם לרוש מן המטה, שנאמר ותמלא הארץ אותם
In Egypt, the prototype of all future golus, it was at the point that the Jews started entering the theaters and places of entertainment, identifying with the Egyptian culture, that Hashem caused the Egyptians to turn on Klal Yisrael. As one of the pre-war gedolim once said:
that is the point that they were ready to be redeemed.It’s sad, but simply a symptom of where many of us are holding

It’s one thing to get overly involved in cultural influences. What gets to me here is that we are not even talking about a mediocre human being that people are lamenting his leaving this world. By all accounts we are talking about a terrible human being who was abusive to his teammates, conceited, was credibly accused of rape, sued his own mother, and stopped talking to his parents and sisters. He was a terrible human being who had one trick; he could send a leather ball through a metal ring better than anyone else. It’s one thing if he died mid season and that might cost his team the championship. But he’s retired and gone from the game.Is he really worthy of being mourned? I don’t think so....

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 08:10:11 PM »
I feel like I am on another planet.
Not the first time and definitely not the last

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 08:11:25 PM »
Grammys tributes are nice.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 08:46:34 PM »
Bulls legend Michael Jordan made a statement on the news. From Estee Portnoy, Jordan's manager/spokeswoman:

I am in shock over the tragic news of Kobe's and Gianna's passing. Words can't describe the pain I'm feeling. I loved Kobe — he was like a little brother to me. We used to talk often, and I will miss those conversations very much. He was a fierce competitor, one of the greats of the game and a creative force. Kobe was also an amazing dad who loved his family deeply — and took great pride in his daughter's love for the game of basketball. Yvette joins me in sending my deepest condolences to Vanessa, the Lakers organization and basketball fans around the world.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 08:58:03 PM »
It’s one thing to get overly involved in cultural influences. What gets to me here is that we are not even talking about a mediocre human being that people are lamenting his leaving this world. By all accounts we are talking about a terrible human being who was abusive to his teammates, conceited, was credibly accused of rape, sued his own mother, and stopped talking to his parents and sisters. He was a terrible human being who had one trick; he could send a leather ball through a metal ring better than anyone else. It’s one thing if he died mid season and that might cost his team the championship. But he’s retired and gone from the game.Is he really worthy of being mourned? I don’t think so....
One of G-ds creations, who merited to truly inspire millions of people, was taken away along with his daughter in a shocking manner. Have some respect.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:26 PM »

Chazal tell us

Exactly!! Yet many here get get excited at hearing about a kosher hot dog stand and lament at the discovery of its loss  ??? :-\

One of G-ds creations, who merited to truly inspire millions of people, was taken away along with his daughter in a shocking manner. Have some respect.

Respect, yes, but why the idolizing?
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Yard sale

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:29 PM »

“Merited to truly inspire millions.” I have to disagree with you. The Jewish perspective never separates the person and the personal character from the individuals worth. Unlike the non-Jewish world, particularly in the entertainment industry, a Jewish leader or person of note who’s character is impugned has no credibility or hero worship in the eyes of authentic Jewish perspective. Every one of our leaders earns respect on a personal and character based level. The Gemara in Gittin relates that there’s was an individual, Geniva, who was unbelievably great in learning but he was scorned due to his quarrelsome nature, and the many deficiencies in his character and the Amoraim were actually  looking for ways to bring about  his demise.

No one should jump with joy when any of g-ds creations suffer or die, but there is a fine line between dwelling on the talent and mourning the loss of the individual as a worthy person. I think it justifiable to take issue with the latter. Numerous articles, quotes, and interviews bear this out, many of which can’t event be quoted due to their content or language. As to the others on board the helicopter, I am with you. I have no way of knowing what they were like, and can only assume they were decent human beings. Just as in any tragedy or natural disaster, ones heart goes out for them as human beings....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:02:45 PM by Yard sale »

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:50 PM »
On Saturday night, LeBron James passed Kobe Bryant for third place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. It was an accomplishment that Kobe immediately congratulated LeBron on, and LeBron spoke fondly of Kobe’s impact on basketball after the game.

Dwight Howard’s reflection on LeBron’s accomplishment, though, couldn’t have been more prophetic.

Speaking to reporters after the game, Howard tried to put into perspective just how big it was that LeBron became the game’s third all-time leading scorer. He said that he felt people should appreciate others while they’re alive.

Again, these comments from Howard came on Saturday night — around 12 hours before Kobe Bryant died in a California helicopter crash with his 13-year-old daughter Gianna and seven others.

Online Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 10:19:18 PM »
I dont think anyone posting in this thread is jumping for joy. It’s just that he hasn’t accomplished  anything in his life that we should want to emulate. He is no more deserving of all these tributes than all the people that are shot every weekend in Chicago.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 10:22:55 PM »
The Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of youth and families in need, both domestically and globally, and encouraging young people to stay active through sports. The Foundation provides financial resources, develops unique programs and raises awareness for relevant issues in order to strengthen communities through educational and cultural enrichment opportunities.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 10:28:24 PM »
Kobe Bryant’s impact can not only be felt on the basketball court, it can be felt in the communities he has touched throughout his 20 year career. To celebrate this moment, the Lakers Community Relations Department is highlighting memorable Kobe moments in the community.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/community/kobeInTheCommunity