Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!  (Read 25038 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Kobe Bryant, one of the greats RIP!
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2020, 10:44:20 PM »
Studies consistently show that there is an inverse relationship between early retirement and longevity. I can see him arriving up there, hearing a whistle, being handed a ball, and told to take 2 free throws....
What a nice toradike view of the next world
It actually is very well sourced that people will be doing the same thing but will be viewing from a true perspective.

Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2020, 10:45:43 PM »
I dont think anyone posting in this thread is jumping for joy. It’s just that he hasn’t accomplished  anything in his life that we should want to emulate. He is no more deserving of all these tributes than all the people that are shot every weekend in Chicago.
Not going to argue whether your point is correct or not, but regardless, how much do you know about any of the people shot this weekend in Chicago? How about those killed last weekend or the weekend before? They weren't public figures, so it's much harder to memorialize someone you know nothing about.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2020, 10:56:47 PM »
The Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of youth and families in need, both domestically and globally, and encouraging young people to stay active through sports. The Foundation provides financial resources, develops unique programs and raises awareness for relevant issues in order to strengthen communities through educational and cultural enrichment opportunities.
If your point is that they had some charitable works I get that but that doesn’t redeem their personal behavior. Vanessa’s treatment of her housekeeper, and her many altercations with fans, reporters, and just about anyone who’s path she crossed, again most of the quotes being unrepeatable, make her as unworthy of respect as Koby. Money and even a charitable foundation isn’t everything.

Offline as2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2020, 11:03:51 PM »
If your point is that they had some charitable works I get that but that doesn’t redeem their personal behavior. Vanessa’s treatment of her housekeeper, and her many altercations with fans, reporters, and just about anyone who’s path she crossed, again most of the quotes being unrepeatable, make her as unworthy of respect as Koby. Money and even a charitable foundation isn’t everything.
K.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2020, 11:08:32 PM »
Mark Cuban says no Mavericks player will wear No. 24 again in honor of Kobe

https://www.tsn.ca/mark-cuban-says-no-dallas-mavericks-player-will-ever-wear-no-24-again-1.1433191
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Toasted

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
Chareidim are mourning as well.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2020, 11:10:57 PM »
Neymar pays tribute to Kobe Bryant in goal celebration

From all corners of the world tributes are coming in. Greatness pays tribute to greatness.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:14:09 PM by CountValentine »

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline pomy100

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 12:36:01 AM »
It’s symptomatic of the golus we are in. Same for those tuning in to Rush or Hannity for hours every day, or lining up at the Trump events. (Many of my political views happen to lean conservative by the way). And there are countless other examples of areas where frum Jews have lost sight of who we are, and that we are on a different trajectory than those around us, as talented as they may be. We are on a journey that spans thousands of years, and scores of host countries and cultures, on a path from Matan Torah to the final geulah. Anyone cognizant of this can not possibly identify in a personal way with the fleeting culture and company surrounding us that will all too soon fade into the forgotten past as surely as the scores of other proud cultures we have outlasted have. Our present environment, as grateful as we are to this malchus shel chessed, is but another brief encounter in our long journey that connects us with eternity.

Chazal tell us
ותמלא הארץ אותם. שנתמלאו בתי טרטיאות ובתי קרקסיאות מהם, מיד גזרו עליהם לרוש מן המטה, שנאמר ותמלא הארץ אותם
In Egypt, the prototype of all future golus, it was at the point that the Jews started entering the theaters and places of entertainment, identifying with the Egyptian culture, that Hashem caused the Egyptians to turn on Klal Yisrael. As one of the pre-war gedolim once said:
והוצאתי אתכם מתחת סבלות מצרים
When they could no longer bear being part of the culture of mitzrayim
that is the point that they were ready to be redeemed.It’s sad, but simply a symptom of where many of us are holding
Well said

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 12:47:58 AM »
It actually is very well sourced that people will be doing the same thing but will be viewing from a true perspective.
I think I may have misunderstood the point of the OP btw.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 12:50:15 AM »
Somehow, I don't think that means actually shooting free throws.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2020, 12:58:08 AM »
I think I may have misunderstood the point of the OP btw.

Studies consistently show that there is an inverse relationship between early retirement and longevity. I can see him arriving up there, hearing a whistle, being handed a ball, and told to take 2 free throws....
I guess the reference was too subtle. It was in jest; he was “intentionally fouled”- his copter was knocked down- so he comes up there and complains and they say no prob, what were the consequences when you committed an intentional foul down there? We’ll do the same: Take two free throws and call it even. :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:16:18 AM by Yard sale »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2020, 01:25:34 AM »
It’s one thing to get overly involved in cultural influences. What gets to me here is that we are not even talking about a mediocre human being that people are lamenting his leaving this world. By all accounts we are talking about a terrible human being who was abusive to his teammates, conceited, was credibly accused of rape, sued his own mother, and stopped talking to his parents and sisters. He was a terrible human being who had one trick; he could send a leather ball through a metal ring better than anyone else. It’s one thing if he died mid season and that might cost his team the championship. But he’s retired and gone from the game.Is he really worthy of being mourned? I don’t think so....
When I'm gone I hope people don't judge me by what they read in tabloids. If you put anyone's life on surveillance for 24/7/365 for 25 years, tabloids will find plenty to write about.

If you aren't effected by these tragic deaths then move on.

No need to tell people who's worth being mouned and who's not worth being mourned. Especially when 99.9% odds all your opinions on him and his wife are formed from tabloids with 0 personal knowledge of the man.

IMO if there is any thing that can be turned into a positive, then let people use it to be a positive.

Go hug your kid, tell your family you love them, etc.

In today's day and age some people seem invincible, (celebrities, super rich, etc) and times like this we see everyone is human, and we need to cherish each other and those we love every second we can.

For me the idea of someone being with their child while knowing death is immenent for both of them, is definitely something that saddens me and makes me want to cherish all the good I am blessed with.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2020, 01:48:31 AM »
When I'm gone I hope people don't judge me by what they read in tabloids. If you put anyone's life on surveillance for 24/7/365 for 25 years, tabloids will find plenty to write about.

Which is why it is so amazing that the great people that Klal Yisrael put on a pedestal are so different; the more one spends time with them the more one is inspired and amazed by their personal lives. Every time I speak to close talmidim of Rav Shmuel I hear new anecdotes that add insight and dimension to his humility and his middos.

No need to tell people who's worth being mourned and who's not worth being mourned.

There is something that just doesn’t sit right with frum Jews mourning the life of someone who is so far from what frum Jews should be looking up to. I’m assuming the OP doesn’t know him first hand, but neither do those who are mourning him on DDF. Tabloid or no tabloid, one can read interviews from multiple people who knew him or worked closely with him and an unflattering picture of someone who is very far from the values that klal yisrael cherishes emerges. I don’t think it’s credible to blame it all on the tabloids. We can feel for the loss of another human being without lowering ourselves by hero worshiping who he was.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 08:16:52 AM »
There is something that just doesn’t sit right with frum Jews mourning the life of someone who is so far from what frum Jews should be looking up to. I’m assuming the OP doesn’t know him first hand, but neither do those who are mourning him on DDF. Tabloid or no tabloid, one can read interviews from multiple people who knew him or worked closely with him and an unflattering picture of someone who is very far from the values that klal yisrael cherishes emerges. I don’t think it’s credible to blame it all on the tabloids. We can feel for the loss of another human being without lowering ourselves by hero worshiping who he was.
Sorry but someone who said "Vanessa’s treatment of her housekeeper, and her many altercations with fans, reporters, and just about anyone who’s path she crossed" is clearly basing his opinions on tabloids.

Also, There is something that just doesn’t sit right with frum Jews telling people to go look for negative things about someone who just had a tragic death.

And I don't see anywhere in my post anything about hero worship. Seems you missed my point and are just looking to argue if you think I was worshiping him.

Now if you told me Jews shouldn't take inspiration from everything that happens, we can disagree. But I believe we can learn from everything that happens be it from a talmid chacham, a leaf falling, or lehavdil Kobe dying tragically with children and families, cats, ants, etc.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2020, 08:38:08 AM »
How Kobe Bryant’s Catholic Faith Helped Him Turn His Life Around
https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2020/01/26/how-kobe-bryants-catholic-faith-helped-him-turn-his-life-around/

Ballestero said that Bryant’s “most inspiring trait was his decision to turn to his faith in God and receive God’s mercy and to be a better man after a regretful decision.”

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2020, 08:52:38 AM »
Derek Jeter will always remember Kobe Bryant for something bigger than basketball
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/derek-jeter-will-always-remember-kobe-bryant-for-something-bigger-than-basketball/ar-BBZlW2g?ocid=spartanntp

“[W]hen I think of Kobe, I really just end up thinking about those special few personal conversations that we were lucky enough to share together, each time one of us had a new baby daughter. I end up thinking about how, here was this guy who was beyond gifted as an athlete, who was obsessed with being a champion, who was known as an absolute assassin with a ball in his hands. And in the moments I got to spend with him? He didn’t really talk about any of that. He cared much more about being a husband to Vanessa and a dad to his girls. He loved his family — he was his family. That’s what was important.”

“Kobe just loved being a dad. And when it comes to his legacy, I really hope we’re able to take the time to remember that as an essential part of it.”

Offline cmey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2020, 09:37:53 AM »
Derek Jeter will always remember Kobe Bryant for something bigger than basketball
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/derek-jeter-will-always-remember-kobe-bryant-for-something-bigger-than-basketball/ar-BBZlW2g?ocid=spartanntp

“[W]hen I think of Kobe, I really just end up thinking about those special few personal conversations that we were lucky enough to share together, each time one of us had a new baby daughter. I end up thinking about how, here was this guy who was beyond gifted as an athlete, who was obsessed with being a champion, who was known as an absolute assassin with a ball in his hands. And in the moments I got to spend with him? He didn’t really talk about any of that. He cared much more about being a husband to Vanessa and a dad to his girls. He loved his family — he was his family. That’s what was important.”

“Kobe just loved being a dad. And when it comes to his legacy, I really hope we’re able to take the time to remember that as an essential part of it.”

Sorry for your loss